Menu

Cross post: All the sets in Jacobs Algebra?

Ha! I'm trying to set Algebra assignments for the year too! Here's what I found in one of the Teacher's Guides: Set I is review. Sets 2 and 3 basically cover the same skills (though the answers to Set 2 are in the back of the book). Set 4 is a challenge set for kids who love math and love to do extra challenging problems (definitely, not my kid). 

I have the wire bound Teacher's Guide that has a reddish cover. The semester assignments are laid out in that (they are also on the parents' cd  if you got the Ask Dr. Callahan dvds). If I assign homework it is either "finish the part of the assignment that you didn't get done during our math hour" or "Set 1" (which reviews the previous chapter).

Hope this helps.

Depending on the number of problems, the student and the End Goal then you might assign them all. We did every problem, every time for all of elementary mathematics. We did ALL of the problems in Mathematics: A Human Endeavor.

Edited by Mr. G

Depending on the number of problems, the student and the End Goal then you might assign them all. We did every problem, every time for all of elementary mathematics. We did ALL of the problems in Mathematics: A Human Endeavor.

But the sets in Mathematics: A Human Endeavor are structured so differently than the ones in the algebra or geometry books I have.

• Like 1

We're almost through Jacob's Algebra and here's what I assign:

Set I is review.  I always assign set I (all problems).

Set II and Set III go over the same material.  I assign Set III (all problems) because the answers are in the teacher's manual.  Set II answers are in the back of the student book.  Since my son does the work independently, I'd rather him do set III.

I always assign Set IV which is the challenge exercise.  Sometimes my son gets it on his own, sometimes we have to do it together.

I use Set II when my son needs additional review before a test.  I use the Master tests made for this series. 

My son really, really likes Jacobs Algebra and I'm glad we're using it.  We'll finish this and move on to Mathematics:  A Human Endeavor.  It's even fun to talk about how things have changed since it was written.  Sometimes I have to explain to my son why the comics are funny.