Menu

10 year old is too tall for children's sizes but I won't let her wear junior's...

Misha

Juniors are cut narrower than similar petite sizes. I'd check different stores. Junior selections aren't universally bad. Your bound to find jeans, tops, and dresses there that are acceptable even if they're mixed in with styles you don't like. Petite means short, not tiny. My college-aged daughter is 5'2" and 95 lbs. She'll be wearing junior cuts for a while. It's HARD to find professional clothing that fits her.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

I agree if you shop juniors carefully, you can find things.  My 12 year old is moving over to more juniors sizes and it's been ok. 

I completely agree.  My 14yo is in juniors exclusively as she is long limbed but very thin - as with women's clothing, you just have to be discerning. ;)

• Like 1

My older dd was very tall and thin.  I used to machine sew darts into all her pants because the ones that were long enough were always way too big around.  During that stage, she wore mostly warm-up type pants that had a drawstring, or knit dresses from Lands' End.  She did wear capris and dresses all through one winter because we could find no pants to fit.  I finally lucked out and found some size 00 jeans at a thrift store.  Those fit really well.  She hit puberty kind of late (13 1/2), but once she did, she started getting some curves and fit in women's clothes.  

• Like 2

It's pretty pricey, but American Eagle Outfitters right now looks like it stepped right out of a boho magazine.  Makes me wish I could wear juniors sizes!  So pretty! 

Wow, their stuff is really pretty! Thanks for sharing! I might have to order myself a couple of things. 

We just looked at H&M's offerings. Their girls sizes go up to a height of 68 inches and my DD likes a lot of their clothes. Crisis averted.

Dd finds a lot of clothes there. They carry the schmeensy sizes. She finds jeans at Hollister and we get good deals at their buy one get one sales.

• Like 1

This is so inspiring. My DD is very into boho-chic, she loves peasant tops, long skirts, and boots. Stevie Nicks is a favorite singer as well as fashion icon in our house!  :laugh:

I'm very tall and I frequently wear standard size dresses as tops with leggings (if the hem goes past my butt) or with jeans or even slacks.  Because the dresses are too short, the waist comes up too high and it ends up looking like an empire waist.  I have worn some variation of this for as long as I've been too tall to fit in the standard length sizes.  It used to be called 'hippie-chic' and now it's called boho.  If your dd likes that look you could keep shopping girls dresses and plain junior tights, leggings and skinny jeans that fit her.  Get to a thift store and buy a handful of funky scarves to use as belts, hair ties, shawls and necklaces she'd have a whole Stevie Nicks wardrobe.

• Like 3

Juniors are cut narrower than similar petite sizes. I'd check different stores. Junior selections aren't universally bad. Your bound to find jeans, tops, and dresses there that are acceptable even if they're mixed in with styles you don't like. Petite means short, not tiny. My college-aged daughter is 5'2" and 95 lbs. She'll be wearing junior cuts for a while. It's HARD to find professional clothing that fits her.

I was also going to say not to discount juniors. Some years are worse than others, but this year I'm seeing more modest styles included in the selections--long sleeved, button-down shirts and flannels, longer shorts, tops that are longer and higher necked. YouTrust me when I say it's better--when my daughter landed in juniors, booty shorts and see-through midriff tops were the mainstay. 

Check out JC Penney online. My daughter was very slender when she made the transition out of girls and one year it was the only place I found jeans that fit her.