Menu

How important is middle school science?

Jennifer132

In regard to what we study? Can we continue to pick topics we like and are interested in at the seventh and eighth grade levels, or should we stick to a theme for the year, such as biology, etc? Is it more important to be sure to cover certain topics or to have experiments? Is middle school science any more important in regard to what is covered than the upper elementary grades?

Eta: we don't have any reporting or requirements in my state.

Edited by Jennifer132

I think a lot of people wrestle with that and there are varying opinions.  Personally, I think as long as your kiddo is learning about the scientific method (not in a militant way but learning it) and getting some depth in their understanding of the why of things, I say interest led is the way to go.  It will be the last chance to do so.  High School level material usually starts at the beginning, anyway.  In fact, I've noticed except for the math side often the material in certain High School level science subjects starts out very similar to how that particular topic might start out in a Middle School level course (such as Biology).

• Like 4

I think it's fine to study whatever topics you want in middle school. I don't think there's any need to focus on one branch of science.

We use 8th grade science as prep for high school science in terms of ramping up the note-taking and lab work. 

• Like 1

I think it is valuable for most academically-oriented students to have been exposed to basic vocab and concepts before starting high school chem, bio, and physics.  Middle school students don't have enough math to go very far (esp. in chem and even more so physics), but having an underlying foundation will help if they are likely to take typical high school science classes.  While it's true that the middle school topics will be reviewed in high school courses, that review is usually a fraction of the course (mostly the first chapter or two) and moves pretty fast.

If your student is not on a typical "academic" track, then a strong foundation on the scientific method is probably the most important thing; that is often best obtained and appreciated through the kind of experimentation and reporting that is done for science fair projects.

I feel that Middle School Science should be relaxed with focusing on areas of interest but also covering a bit from each discipline (ie. bio, chem, physics, earth science, astronomy, etc). Focusing a whole year on one discipline may turn them off of it and they have to do it in High School anyway.

I think what matters is that it happens on a regular basis. I also think middle school, especially 7th and 8th grade are a good time to learn that a lot of science is math. It should not be a rude awakening in high school that it is possible for weeks of life science to feel like a math class.

• Like 3

I was actually more structured with my non-STEM oriented student (who just wanted a textbook to work through), than with my STEM child (who continued to pursue interests and science fair projects through middle school, and moved right into biology in 9th grade.)

Enjoy pursuing interests!