Menu

figuring out reading/language arts

debi21

I am new to this, and trying to take the advice to start slow with my 2nd grader, focusing on reading, writing, and math. In addition, I was thinking of mainly not worrying about spelling, vocabulary, and grammar, as he's ahead of grade level and seems to do all right naturally - I wanted to keep it simple. My primary goal was to emphasize reading, and have him get through more books.

So I'm second guessing myself after day 1. I did a little bit of a rough run last week and today was our official first day. As far as LA, he did a bit (10-15 min) of a workbook on writing. Then I talked to him about grammar for about two minutes. Then we pulled out a book - Stuart Little. I had him read me about four pages aloud, then he went off and read it and finished it. Then we discussed it for just a couple of minutes, I showed him a list of vocabulary from the book and we discussed what a few words meant.

What I'm concerned about is spending one or two days at most on a book and whether he will be getting enough out of them if he is reading 3 to 5 books a week. Last week he read Half Magic, The One and Only Ivan, and El Deafo (thanks recs from other threads). Should I be delving in deeper, asking more questions, making him reread? I can't imagine having to reread chapter books repeatedly a la FIAR. And I am not sure I have time to keep up with reading all of them (didn't read El Deafo, for example, so couldn't really ask him much about it).

While I think his comprehension is OK, I also know he can gloss over or miss details and possibly major plot points... should I worry about that? I was aiming to eliminate busywork like worksheets for a boy who hates them, but now I'm wondering if that's doing him a disservice in terms of retention and learning. Do I need to think about close reading and requiring some kind of output or is just a large volume of reading enough? Should I specifically work on comprehension when it's above average for his age or just assume it will develop with time?

I thought I knew what I wanted, but I don't know what I'm doing.

I am new to this, and trying to take the advice to start slow with my 2nd grader, focusing on reading, writing, and math. In addition, I was thinking of mainly not worrying about spelling, vocabulary, and grammar, as he's ahead of grade level and seems to do all right naturally - I wanted to keep it simple. My primary goal was to emphasize reading, and have him get through more books.

So I'm second guessing myself after day 1. I did a little bit of a rough run last week and today was our official first day. As far as LA, he did a bit (10-15 min) of a workbook on writing. Then I talked to him about grammar for about two minutes. Then we pulled out a book - Stuart Little. I had him read me about four pages aloud, then he went off and read it and finished it. Then we discussed it for just a couple of minutes, I showed him a list of vocabulary from the book and we discussed what a few words meant.

What I'm concerned about is spending one or two days at most on a book and whether he will be getting enough out of them if he is reading 3 to 5 books a week. Last week he read Half Magic, The One and Only Ivan, and El Deafo (thanks recs from other threads). Should I be delving in deeper, asking more questions, making him reread? I can't imagine having to reread chapter books repeatedly a la FIAR. And I am not sure I have time to keep up with reading all of them (didn't read El Deafo, for example, so couldn't really ask him much about it).

While I think his comprehension is OK, I also know he can gloss over or miss details and possibly major plot points... should I worry about that? I was aiming to eliminate busywork like worksheets for a boy who hates them, but now I'm wondering if that's doing him a disservice in terms of retention and learning. Do I need to think about close reading and requiring some kind of output or is just a large volume of reading enough? Should I specifically work on comprehension when it's above average for his age or just assume it will develop with time?

I thought I knew what I wanted, but I don't know what I'm doing.

You don't have to make every book into a Lesson. He's just 7. Let him read. When he's older-older, you can do a more formal literature study, on chosen books only, but he's just little. He enjoys reading. Let him enjoy reading. Would *you* like it if someone was always on your back about retention? No? He won't, either. :-)

Also, even if you thought he needed some work with comprehension, you wouldn't need worksheets. You can discuss the book with him, the way you might discuss the book with a friend. You'll be able to tell if he understood what he read. When he's older, as in 12ish, you can work on noticing actual plot points; I don't think a 7yo needs to do that.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 2

What you are doing now is great and plenty! Let him read, discuss as a way of further enjoying a book rather than it being a quiz type of thing.

Later, you could maybe do Brave Writer Quiver of Arrows or regular Arrows if you wanted to spend a little more time with one book per month. Cheaper on hsbc if you went that route.

I'm currently reading Deconstructing Penguins by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone. They explain how to discuss books with young children through examples of their book discussion groups. Honestly, I wish I had this book a long time ago, when I had a first grader reading chapter books. I believe just a few good discussions a year would help promote active reading year round.

Edited by ladyinthegarden
  • Like 1

If reading comprehension is what you are worried about, I have always found it better to discuss short reading samples or non-fiction. Things like science and history. Otherwise I feel like it would kill the love of just reading a good book. Other than discussing the book or certain things they enjoyed, no I don't think dissecting it is helpful or necessary at this point. It's not my job to decide what they get out of a book or what "I" think the main points are. That's not how good literature works. I want them to enjoy reading and to read widely. I pick 7-8 books for my 9 year old and maybe 2-3 for my 6 year old that I really want them to read. We loosely discuss those over dinner or in the car etc. Otherwise I let them read whatever they want (within reason) at whatever pace they want and I don't bug them about it. 

• Like 1

Sonlight has readers that come with a schedule and comprehension questions (they call it a Study Guide). The Study Guide can be purchased on its own, so you'd just need to checkout the books from the library. I checked out the first couple of books off of the 3rd grade readers list and they were pretty short. If you're concerned about his comprehension, you could assign one of those books per week (or however often you'd like), then have a discussion with him about it using the questions in the Study Guide (that way you don't have to read the books too). Beyond that, I'd say let him read whatever he enjoys.

They have different levels, but here's a link to one so you can see it...

http://www.sonlight.com/homeschool/subjects/readers/readers-3/

I absolutely agree with the advice to let him read, but I would add one thing since you didn't mention it.

I think an ideal way to work on comprehension and check on how much he is getting, and also a family pleasure, is continuing read-alouds that are above his reading level. I find even with my voracious reader, she will frequently ask questions to clarify what's going on during the course of a read-aloud, or ask about vocabulary that she would breeze right through if she were reading to herself. If your son is not that way, reading aloud is a time when you can model reading comprehension to him, with your asides that demonstrate to him the connections you are trying to make as you go along. Maybe you're already doing all this, but since you didn't mention it, I wanted to say that is my favorite way to check on my child's reading comprehension and give us books to chat about together.

Thanks for all the replies and for soothing my first day panic. I am mulling your thoughts over as I decide what we'll do. I asked him to draw a picture and write 2 sentences on Stuart Little yesterday. It was kind of laughable, and not his best effort by any means.

I am doing some read-alouds with him. I don't really love reading aloud as it goes too slowly for me and I have terrible aural comprehension, but I force myself. I am trying to do read alouds on myths, fables, and fairy tales each day/night before bed. I am trying to read 2-4 picture books a day to his younger brother, some of which he listens in on. And I also sometimes read aloud the first chapter as a way to get him going on books, as he is sometimes grumpy about reading (wants to be playing). 

I need to give it more time, I know and see how things develop.

• Like 1