Menu

Abeka math and word problems

scrapper4life

So, I was all set to use CLE with either FAN skills or CWP and then a friend was telling me about Abeka math today. I can see that drill is clearly a part of Abeka in the early grades, but does it rate better with you all in the word problem category than CLE? If "the hive" seems to think I'd still need FAN or CWP with Abeka,too, then I won't even look at it and just stick with CLE.

Edited by scrapper4life

I don't know about word problems in CLE, but the FAN math books have better word problems than I remember being in A Beka. The FAN books actually teach the problem-solving as well.

I like the Intensive Practice over the CWP for word problems. I think the IP ones are every bit as hard, and the new CWP (I haven't used the old) had a lot of problems that seemed to be incongruent with the strategy indicated at the beginning of each section. The IP ones were more consistent, I think, but the IP books won't teach the method.

I am going to chime in simply because we used Abeka.

We actually used both Abeka and Singapore with CWP in the early years. I feel pretty stongly that the combination of a good spiral curriculum combined with Singapore led to my dc's success in math.

I only looked at CLP once long ago because it wasn't an easily accessible choice for me 12 years ago in terms of actually buying it. I don't remember it in the RR catalogue and the Abeka man had a curriculum meeting near my house, so Abeka was our choice. My kids did prefer Abeka over Saxon because it was in colour. That was particularly important to dd. The story problems are great. Maybe five story problems per lesson with the lesson's concepts fully applied in story problem form. I did think they were better than the other curriculums that I was able to compare with. I would make sure CLE offers the same number and depth with each lesson.

One thing about the CWP that we used (I think there are multiple updates now) is the problems were hard and could be very frustrating if the child wasn't really comfortable with the concepts. There were a few every year that left us pondering how to solve it without using more advanced techniques than an elementary student would have, no teacher's edition just answers. :lol: We always did CWP one year behind where we were in the Singapore progression. I was looking for positive reinforcement and gaps in knowledge with CWP.

I hope this helps!

Do you NEED the extra work on word problems with either CLE or Abeka? No.

If you feel like you have to supplement with CLE, you will feel you need to supplement with Abeka.

I don't think there was a huge difference in the complexity of the word problems between the two (comparing 4th grade books).

So, I was all set to use CLE with either FAN skills or CWP and then a friend was telling me about Abeka math today. I can see that drill is clearly a part of Abeka in the early grades, but does it rate better with you all in the word problem category than CLE? If "the hive" seems to think I'd still need FAN or CWP with Abeka,too, then I won't even look at it and just stick with CLE.

I've taught ABeka but not CLE.  It's been a few years, but I did feel the need to supplement with more complex, multi-step word problems that incorporated multiple concepts.  (For example, a perimeter problem with fractional numbers, where you have to work out the lengths of one of the sides and use that answer to work out the total perimeter.))  If you feel the need to drill, ABeka will get the job done, but a steady year-on-year diet of it may turn a child off of math and won't give as much conceptual understanding and problem-solving experience as I'd like to see.  

Having used both CLE and ABeka, neither has the type of word problems you find in Singapore. I did not supplement CLE with word problems and just used it straight. It didn't seem to hold back DD in high school math. My next DD who came home for a year in eighth grade and used CLE to remediate had math applications as her highest score when we had her evaluated around the midpoint of the year. When she took a nationally normed standardized placement test for high school in June, she scored 98th percentile in math. Prior to using CLE, she used Math In Focus at ps and was an average math student, according to standardized tests, who was getting C's. CLE really was effective for her improving her understanding.

• Like 1

There was a big jump in the complexity of problems between fourth and fifth grade for Abeka.  They were definitely multi step, requiring different functions of different types of numbers.  I think Abeka was enough and did not supplement.  Not only are there examples on the daily worksheets, but there are homework and supplemental pages in the workbook as well (which we did not need to use last year as my daughter was not having issues).  So, even if fourth grade is more simple, they catch you up the next year. Abeka is very much about getting facts down before complicating matters.