Menu

Starting Fresh After 2 Hectic Homeschool Years

M4me

We are entering our 6th year of homeschool, and I have 4 kids ages 12, 9, 7, 4. We have had a rough last 2 years in our personal lives (my hubby left us and we are in the process of a divorce). I feel like I have failed my kids the last 2 school years. My kids are slightly behind and have gotten used to not doing much school. 

I need to find some fun, easy to implement, not way to expensive curriculum to give our homeschool a fresh new start. When we have done school the last 2 years, it has been basically pulling teeth and for me to feel like I can check off the box and say it got done. We have not enjoyed school or each other, and mommy has been an emotional wreck. Now that we are living with family and getting back into a school routine, I need to jump back in. I feel as if  I'm brand new and don't even know where to begin. 

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on some curriculum, that is enjoyable and easy to jump into. Or anyone else ever been in a situation similar and have positive encouragement to share. 

God Bless. 

We are having fun with Barefoot Ragamuffins curriculum this year though we are only a week in! Price can vary on it though because it is very literature heavy, so it depends on what you spend on books. I'm using the library and found a lot cheap at Goodwill. Just one idea for you. Or you could consider unit studies in topics of interest.

• Like 1

You sound like you are feeling positive and fresh and ready to face a new school year!  I was thinking maybe some lapbooks? Maybe some unit studies you could do together with all the kids and then just have them separate for math and language arts? Amanda Bennett has some fun unit studies that might be enjoyable. She has some that are "Download n Go" and they are fairly open and go. I would suggest some family read alouds too. Maybe Narnia, Little House on the Prairie or Harry Potter or something else that your family enjoys. I would implement some learning games and possibly plenty of fields trips that your kids would be excited about.  

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

What a tough time you have had! Okay so, you are with family. Without you having to reveal private business, I'm thinking you might be cramped for space and worrying about being a bother? Will you be teaching at home or need to be out from underfoot a bit?

Are you near a good library?

Do you have a library card to a library with a large online library. Most capital cities give free cards to all residents of the state and have large online libraries?

What do you have for tech? Can your read ebooks comfortably on your tech? Do you have wifi at home?

Never mind what the kids like! What do YOU least hate to tackle when stressed? Some moms actually like to gather the chicks around a rocking chair and just READ. Others hate that. Does a project and mess sound like fun or make you want to cry?

A hard year or two can be a really good thing long term. When pushed, we learn about ourselves. When we regroup and start over, we do it with knowledge about ourselves.

What is a comfortable budget to spend this year?

Do you have a printer? Is it cheap to print in large volumes?

I'm so sorry to hit you up with questions like this. :grouphug: If it feels too invasive and you just want general advice and not specific advice geared towards you, don't answer any of this. Or just answer what you want to answer. These questions are just offers for you to share, not to pin you down and scare you off.

• Like 1

Check out Mystery Science. It's currently FREE to homeschoolers as part of a free trial for 1 year. I think it will really bring some fun back into your life, as that is what I'm hoping as well. I'm so sorry for all you've been through. You're one strong mama for just keeping everyone afloat!

• Like 2

Big hugs mama. You sound like a trooper :) your kids are fortunate to have you.

I would follow along the lines of what Hunter said.

Literature based is so good for kids and mama and you learn...a ton.

Hunters right. Use your library card . it will be your friend. :)

Let me ask you. What kind of things do you like. Stressing the you as Hunter did.

I know it is good to have things the kids like too...sometimes, they get on board after the try it :)

I've actually got alot of books, curriculums, etc that I'm either passed? Or used with my big kids but won't with my little ones.

Anything reach out and grab you?

I sure wouldn't mind passj g mine along for no charge :)

We mamas are in this homeschooling journey together :)

I also like the barefoot ragamuffin. They have the free Treadwell readers, originally published in early 1900's (alot of them) and are wonderful lessons for today too.

They are inexpensive . bonus! Lol.

Let me know what kind of things you might be thinking that you want..if I have them and they aren't spoken for already...they will be yours :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1