Menu

6th Grade Math for Kids with Little Retention

umsami

DS2 has very little retention in math.  I would say three-four weeks maximum for something we've covered a few times, if that.  We've used Math Mammoth in the path, but I need something with more review.  What are your recommendations?

My daughter was having retention problems with Math Mammoth, too. we switched to Rod and Staff. Haven't been using it long, but there is a lot more review, and less difficult jumps in explanation. There are also a lot of optional drills for problem topics. So far I like it.

• Like 1

CLE.  Lots and lots of review.  My only caveat is that sometimes a child needs more mastery incorporated, too.  In other words, when the new material is introduced, you might give it some time but if he is struggling a bit with understanding it, then do several additional practice problems with him on a dry erase board before setting him loose on the review problems in the rest of the lesson.  Give the placement test, though.  Don't just leap in at grade level.

• Like 2

If you decide to try CLE, I agree with making sure you do the placement tests first so you pick the right level. The first book of every grade/level in their math is just review of the previous level and not a good representation of the program as a whole. So if you try one unit, pick 402/302/whatever level, not the 1st book in the level.

I forgot to mention that CLE benefits from supplemental word problem work. I really like Singapore FAN math books for that.

• Like 1

We were in a similar situation and switched to CLE from Singapore. The continuous review of CLE is helping. I am struggling with the way it jumps around, but have found that by reading ahead, I can pull different lessons together to make it less spiral and more mastery while keeping the review value of the program. I have the teachers guide but haven't found that it adds much. I was accustomed to Singapore's HIG which provides a lot of background and help in teaching the concepts. Since you were using MM without a teacher manual, that may not be a concern for you. We also are supplementing with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems.