Menu

anybody here can beef broth?

ProudGrandma

Does this help you at all:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/stock_broth.html

I have not canned homemade beef broth. Usually when I make it I end up using it.  I like to roast my bones first until they are nice and carmalized, and then add some aromatics (onion, carrot, celery and parsley) to the broth as well. 

But broth must be pressure canned.  You cannot use a boiling water canner.  

Google up some good beef broth recipes. I use one out of Joy of Cooking. In general, for beef broth, you have to slow roast the bones (and maybe some veggies) for many hours, then simmer those roasted bones (plus a bunch of fresh veggies) for about 12 hours. And you have to skim out the foam/scum every hour or so during the simmering. 

BUT, be sure you look for a recipe for CANNING if you plan to can. (I freeze my stock.) When you can, you MUST use tested/approved recipes to be safe. If I were you, I'd google up a pile of "beef broth for canning recipes" and then I'd pick one I liked best, and I'd follow it to the last dot. Be meticulous about following salt, etc, amounts, as these things can be critical for safe canning. I'd look for recipes from extension offices (Utah had a great one when we lived there) and other "official" (i.e., printed published books) sources. Canning is awesome, but you really should be extra careful to follow tested recipes to avoid killing people with your canned goods. :) 

FWIW, freezing is easy, and you don't have to follow a canning recipe. :) The broth will take up much less space than the bones do. :) 

The Beef Stock in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving is posted below.  They do not roast the bones first, but you definitely can- I think it produces the stronger, meatier flavor that they compensate for by adding bouillon cubes.  I always just eyeball the bones/water, but this will give you proportions to start with.  I love having home-canned broth on hand.  I freeze some too, but canned and ready to use is SO much more versatile and convenient to have on hand.

4 pounds meaty beef bones

8 cups water

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 carrot, sliced

1 stalk celery, sliced

1 bay leaf

salt

optional beef bouillon cubes or granules ( I would NOT add this to my homemade beef broth.)

1. COMBINE beef bones and water in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and skim foam. Add onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and salt to taste. Cover and boil gently for 2 to 3 hours or until desired flavor is reached. (For straonger flavor, boil longer and add beef bouillon cubes.)
  2. REMOVE beef bones and discard. Strain stock through a fine sieve or cheesecloth-lined strainer. Discard vegetables and bay leaf. Allow stock to cool until fat solidifies. Skim off fat.
  3. PREPARE weighted-gauge pressure canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil.  Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
  4. HEAT stock to a boil.
  5. LADLE the hot beef stock into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
  6. PROCESS the beef stock in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Edited by Lady Marmalade

Google up some good beef broth recipes. I use one out of Joy of Cooking. In general, for beef broth, you have to slow roast the bones (and maybe some veggies) for many hours, then simmer those roasted bones (plus a bunch of fresh veggies) for about 12 hours. And you have to skim out the foam/scum every hour or so during the simmering. 

BUT, be sure you look for a recipe for CANNING if you plan to can. (I freeze my stock.) When you can, you MUST use tested/approved recipes to be safe. If I were you, I'd google up a pile of "beef broth for canning recipes" and then I'd pick one I liked best, and I'd follow it to the last dot. Be meticulous about following salt, etc, amounts, as these things can be critical for safe canning. I'd look for recipes from extension offices (Utah had a great one when we lived there) and other "official" (i.e., printed published books) sources. Canning is awesome, but you really should be extra careful to follow tested recipes to avoid killing people with your canned goods. :)

FWIW, freezing is easy, and you don't have to follow a canning recipe. :) The broth will take up much less space than the bones do. :)

Pressure canning isn't as important as far as the recipe is concerned as long as you are doing the proper length of time, meaning the number of onions you put in your pot or celery or carrots, what not, as long as you strain it all out and look up what beef broth is supposed to be canned at, now if you have chunks of meat, it's even longer and you would need to look that up.  It's the ingredients in a water bath canning that can alter the acid and become more of a problem. 

Oh and I can chicken and beef broth all of the time, but usually in the winter, I hate running the canner anymore than I have to in the summer.  Actually this morning I just canned peach pie filling with some free peaches that we were given. I love not having to thaw it and can just open and use it.  It's not hard to pressure can once you figure it out.

Edited by Prairie~Phlox