Menu

US Geography for 8th grader?

I am using MP US geography with DS12 in two years (he'll be in 9th then) alongside SL US History. It isn't fancy but looks like it will get the job done. I am adding Little Man in the Map, Yo Sacremento, and Yo Millard Fillmore for fun. We are using the World Geo portions of MP Geo 1 & 2 for 7th and 8th while he studies SL world history.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We liked Trail Guide to US Geography pretty well last year. However, I think the mapping is good, and my kids liked that, and if I'd had more time, the supplemental stuff (like "Pennsylvania produces a lot of coal; learn more about coal") would have been good too. We found the questions to be tedious, though -- too time-consuming for the little retention, so we have dropped the questions for this year with World Geography.

We used TGtUSG along with 50 States and Where to Find Them, and that was good for looking at the state symbols, tidbits about history, geographical features of each state, flags, and fun facts. It gave us more of an idea about what makes each state special.

There are some good games for geography at sheppardsoftware.com too.

• Like 1

Fifty States and Where to Find Them (without all the coloring) and Trail Guide to US Geography would be things you could modify to get US geography done pretty quickly with a checklist/same every day approach. Fifty States is for younger kids but could be done quickly because of that, or you could bring in more age-appropriate stuff along with it. Trail Guide has suggestions for upper grades.

Horrible Geography books make for some fun thematic/conceptual geography. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17305522-horrible-geography-collection-10-books-set 

If you want to just wing it, maybe find a get 'er done spine, and then look around the library--there are a lot of thematic books that combine history and geography that are a lot of fun. 

• Like 1