Menu

Dental work pain--what's normal?

Zinnia

About two weeks ago, I had a tooth pulled and some gum surgery on the other three quadrants.  During the procedure, it hurt so much!  It took about an hour, and for over half of that, I was having to deeply concentrate, saying the rosary, repeating the Lord's prayer, etc.  The same coping techniques I used for labor.  In fact, I would compare the intensity of the pain to labor, but with a sharp edge when he was in the deepest parts.  This was a periodontist.

The last time I had a cavity filled, it was also like this.  Minor filling, or so he said, but oh the pain during.  None before or after.  This was with a general dentist.  

I went to the same dentist from age 14 until about 5 years ago (when the drive got too far from my hometown), so 20 years.  When I had dental work with him, I felt some minor pulling/pushing, but i never felt this deep, sharp pain.  And the pushing/pulling never continued to the point where I was having to do targeted breathing, focusing, lamaze style techniques for pain.  I also never had a tooth out or gum surgery...just fillings and one root canal/crown.  

Is this just normal for more extensive work?  Am I becoming a wimp in my old age?  Coping techniques?  I have an implant scheduled for 4 months from now, and I'm scared!

No. It sounds like you had a bad experience with ineffective anesthesia.

eta: if it happens again, let the dentist know. He may not have numbed the pertinent nerves. He should have renumbed it. Demand it.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

I agree. That sounds like ineffective anesthetic. 

in future, you need to put your hand up and stop the procedure. Tell them you're experiencing pain. They need to add freezing or consider different methods such as iv sedation if you're resistant to local agents. 

• Like 2

ABSOLUTELY NOT NORMAL.

I am sleeping off a major difficult molar & root canal extraction (also in preparation for an implant).

During the procedure, the only pain I felt was the pinch inserting the catheter in my arm for the Versed. The versed was good enough that I didn't even feel the oral injections or work at all. The local was strong enough that I'm totally numb at least for 5 hours post-procedure. I have a nice stock of pain meds for the recovery. 

I've had multiple root canals, etc. I've never had pain during a procedure. That's why they make local anesthetics and also why they make all those other good meds.

Have a serious sit down talk with your surgeon, and never again allow that to happen!

• Like 2

Another agreeing that it isn't normal - some people have far more sensitive mouths than others, but any good dentist should have recommendations on way to help you cope as well as be willing to make changes to the anesthetic as others have said. 

I have to use special soft toothbrushes and OTC painkillers when going in even for basic stuff [as recommended by my dentist as I kept crying but not talking/making any noise as strong pain makes me nonverbal - I still death grip the chair though as the pressure still hurts], I know others who wear headphones as the sound of the equipment hurts. Hopefully, your dentist will have a simple fix to make it easier for you - mouth pain is one of the worst things for me. 

I agree- not normal. I had to have a root canal done a few years ago and I was in so much pain before the procedure, the actual procedure was almost blissful with the absence of pain. Pulling and tugging, etc, normal - sharp shooting pains, not normal. My dentist checks in pretty regularly, asking me how I'm doing and if I need her to pause or need more novocaine. 

If it hurts--especially that bad--you need more juice. Next time raise you hand and get his attention.

According my current dentist, I must have additional nerves because I take a lot of numbing, but he does it. I won't go to anyone else because I don't hurt while he works. In return, I'm putting at least one of his daughters through college.  :)

• Like 2

About two weeks ago, I had a tooth pulled and some gum surgery on the other three quadrants.  During the procedure, it hurt so much!  It took about an hour, and for over half of that, I was having to deeply concentrate, saying the rosary, repeating the Lord's prayer, etc.  The same coping techniques I used for labor.  In fact, I would compare the intensity of the pain to labor, but with a sharp edge when he was in the deepest parts.  This was a periodontist.

The last time I had a cavity filled, it was also like this.  Minor filling, or so he said, but oh the pain during.  None before or after.  This was with a general dentist.  

I went to the same dentist from age 14 until about 5 years ago (when the drive got too far from my hometown), so 20 years.  When I had dental work with him, I felt some minor pulling/pushing, but i never felt this deep, sharp pain.  And the pushing/pulling never continued to the point where I was having to do targeted breathing, focusing, lamaze style techniques for pain.  I also never had a tooth out or gum surgery...just fillings and one root canal/crown.  

Is this just normal for more extensive work?  Am I becoming a wimp in my old age?  Coping techniques?  I have an implant scheduled for 4 months from now, and I'm scared!

NO!  You shouldn't feel a darn thing.  Skill really matters. 

I had a bunch of dental work with a guy who does conscious sedation.  It was awesome. One minute, he is saying, "Drink this (tiny medicine cup of something)" and the next he is saying,"All done...see you soon!"  Awesome, though it was actually a couple of hours. 

But even when I have done fillings with only local pain reliever or used nitrous oxide, it DID NOT hurt.

You had a bad experience or too little pain medication.  You just keep speaking up until you don't feel it.  He needs to give you as much as that takes. 

It really depends on which tooth.the lower jaw nerves arent always neatly together, so the anesthesia needs to go in the right spot to numb the right tooth. You should have been asked before work began, and asked during the procedure. Always raise your hand when and discuss.