Menu

Must Reads for History: Renaissance & Reformation

My friend is in need of help creating her son a "history course" next school year.  Her son will be in 7th grade and really enjoys good literature.  I am helping her create an awesome course but I am just one person, would love to hear everyone's thoughts because you guys are AWESOME!  Looking for a solid spine ideas and great lit in that time period.  They are devout conservative Protestants and she is raising her children in a strict environment so questionable literature for that age is out. ;)  Thanks so much!!

Edited by Homeschoolmom3

I, Juan De Pareja

The Shakespeare Stealer

The Second Mrs. Giaconda

From The Files Of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Perhaps needing a read-through but I don't remember anything objectionable:

Beware, Princess Elizabeth

Mary, Bloody Mary

If you want slightly earlier, Son Of Charlemagne (late 700s) is a good read. In fact, the book company who publishes it might be your best bet to find others that have absolutely no objectionable material - https://www.bethlehembooks.com/

A Single Shroud

A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver

Catherine, Called Birdy

The Bronze Bow

The Door in the Wall

I think those are all Middle Ages except for Bronze Bow which I'd classify as Ancient. Here's a recent thread from the Logic stage board: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/617709-favorite-lit-for-middle-agesrenaissancereformation/

Edited by deerforest
  • Like 1

I, Juan De Pareja

The Shakespeare Stealer

The Second Mrs. Giaconda

From The Files Of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Perhaps needing a read-through but I don't remember anything objectionable:

Beware, Princess Elizabeth

Mary, Bloody Mary

If you want slightly earlier, Son Of Charlemagne (late 700s) is a good read. In fact, the book company who publishes it might be your best bet to find others that have absolutely no objectionable material - https://www.bethlehembooks.com/

Thanks!

I am planning MARR for my 6th grader right now. Finding loads of Renaissance materials at the library, but almost nothing worth reading on the Reformation.

Some Reformation books:

Reformation Heroes by Kleyn and Beeke** This is excellent, with short sections, but challenging text. Covers everyone!

Courage and Conviction (vol 3 of the History Lives series) Mindy and Brandon Withrow

Biographies of  various reformers by Lousie Vernon (not fabulous literature imo, but there isn't a lot to choose from!)

Martin Luther: A Man Who changed the World by Paul Maier - lovely picture book

Voices of the Renaissance and Reformation:Primary Sources by Rob Shearer

Struggle for Freedom series by Piet Prins - set in the Neatherlands.

This was John Calvin by van Halsema

There is a Landmark bio on Luther, but I haven't read it and don't know if it is any good.

Rats, Bulls and Flying Machines is popular, but imo very weak on the Reformation. 

IMO, a strong middle school student should read some Luther and some Calvin, to get a taste. Calvin is really not hard reading! Try Book 1 Ch. 1 from the Institutes for discussion. Luther is more challenging, but wrote more widely about everyday life too. The 95 Theses are an obvious choice, but selections from The Bondage of the Will or his commentary on Galatians would work well too. 

Torchlighters animated videos are young for a 7th grader, but there is one on Tyndale.