Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week 28

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new/unnecessary. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

Forgive me for not getting this up yesterday. I was out in the evening and forgot.

I ordered more things off Amazon this past week; more books. It's a sickness. Embarrassing.

Friday evening, I meant to buy some miscellaneous thiings and also just wanted a mental break away from the house. I got all the way up to the city where I intended to shop, parked in the lot, and realized I had no wallet (or phone)! Even scrounged around the car because my policy is to keep some emergency cash in my cars, except for I apparently never replaced the spare cash from the last "emergency." (An emergency that probably involved being asked out to ice cream after a baseball game and having no other cash to throw in the pot.)

On the upside, I didn't spend any money. On the downside, I still have to get the things I meant to get Friday and will be doing that today.

• Like 3

Monday- dh went grocery shopping

Nothing the rest of the work week

Just dog sitting for a friend

Library free activities

Walks

Swim lessons and team 

Saturday -we went to a living history museum (free we have a membership) and swimming (free we have a membership)

He did hit the store for a few household things, some sewing supplies for dd, and stuff to try and get rid of our grounds squirrels.  Anyone remember that thread?  We still can't get rid of them.  We tried the seeds in the huge bucket for 2 weeks and we haven't gotten any.  I guess I have some genius ones. 

today we were going to go on another day trip to another town and buy some stuff off CL.  But I nixed it to clean the house.  Oh fun.

I am hopefully calling our internet provider to get a lower rate.  Hopefully since they jacked ours up but 40 bucks a month.

Then booking hotels for our up coming vacation.

I am thinking about doing a little vacation in a nearby town, because the kids got so many free passes to things there. 

Monday.

Hopefully meeting up with some people on CL to buy some of our stuff.  

• Like 3

Quill, sorry about your wasted trip...mostly because I know how I feel when my planned mental break goes awry. 

My dad and sister visited this week so for those three days we were out of the house doing something and having lunch out.  Cooking was super easy- I made a quick breakfast and we had planned dinners that were pretty easy. Spent money on tickets to the Frank Lloyd Wright house and studio and for lunch out one day. We round robin stuff when we're together. It kind of annoys me because they are beer drinkers and I drink water. But it's family and I appreciate that they came to visit. 

Other than that, we spent very little. I had to pay for three prescriptions for dh as he's battling an infected chest incision. The three prescriptions cost less than $2 total. I was thrilled!

Dd's birthday is tomorrow and per our tradition I picked up a DQ ice cream cake. And with it, they gave me a punch card for a free burger every week for the next year. Ds was pretty happy to see that! I'm sure he and dd will share it...nobody in this house needs to make a habit of eating DQ burgers. 

• Like 3

So I'm not sure if I'm frugal, miserly, or lazy, but I was down to one sauce pan and one saute pan to cook with, and I dragged my feet forever on replacing them. It paid off! FIL sold his house and was cleaning out his kitchen (actually I was cleaning out his kitchen because he shattered his arm playing with a kid's toy, but that's another story...) and gave us some his old pots and pans. They are the ones DH said he used for teenage ramen experimentation (read: eight types of hot sauce and burning it in the pan), but they've held up well. Better than anything I've ever owned!

We also took all the pantry food (that wasn't 2+ years expired...), which kept my grocery bill to $60 this week!

For Prime Day, we bought a $15 game, but I had logged into my old Swagbucks account and found enough points for $30 in Amazon gift cards.

I did buy a $100 wooden spoon at Target. Actually, the spoon was $3. Then I found birthday gifts (on clearance though!), realized we needed diapers (and then DS self-potty trained the next day...), and bought a tank top undershirt thing (I've worn the same 3 nursing tanks daily for 3 years... they're a bit gross) and two t-shirts so I can quit wearing DH's.

All in all a good week.

• Like 4

I did buy a $100 wooden spoon at Target. Actually, the spoon was $3. Then I found birthday gifts (on clearance though!), realized we needed diapers (and then DS self-potty trained the next day...), and bought a tank top undershirt thing (I've worn the same 3 nursing tanks daily for 3 years... they're a bit gross) and two t-shirts so I can quit wearing DH's.

LOL, I relate.

• Like 2

So I'm not sure if I'm frugal, miserly, or lazy, but I was down to one sauce pan and one saute pan to cook with, and I dragged my feet forever on replacing them. It paid off! FIL sold his house and was cleaning out his kitchen (actually I was cleaning out his kitchen because he shattered his arm playing with a kid's toy, but that's another story...) and gave us some his old pots and pans. They are the ones DH said he used for teenage ramen experimentation (read: eight types of hot sauce and burning it in the pan), but they've held up well. Better than anything I've ever owned!

We also took all the pantry food (that wasn't 2+ years expired...), which kept my grocery bill to $60 this week!

For Prime Day, we bought a $15 game, but I had logged into my old Swagbucks account and found enough points for $30 in Amazon gift cards.

All in all a good week.

Ha

I $100 spoon.  Love it.  I do that all the time when you go the store for one thing and end up coming out with $50 bucks of other stuff that wasn't on your list.

• Like 2

Very non-frugal weekend visiting a very large zoo and waterpark.  It was a nice mini-vacation though.  Educational even.  :P

I guess you could say it was mindful in a sense - that it was a road trip and overall it cost about $100/person plus food for 2 days.  We've spent more than that for less value at times.

Mainly we went because there was something really dear to one of my kids' heart at that zoo (which most zoos don't have).  That made it all worthwhile and more.

We changed up the plans though - I had wanted to go to an amusement park further south also, but it did not work out.  Maybe we'll do that in the fall.

• Like 2

I bought some clothes that I absolutely did not need this week. I did, however, get them from a secondhand store, so I'm not stressing about it. Got 5 shirts and a pair of (super cute) polka dot jeans, plus 2 books. All for only $30.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Very non-frugal weekend visiting a very large zoo and waterpark.  It was a nice mini-vacation though.  Educational even.  :p

I guess you could say it was mindful in a sense - that it was a road trip and overall it cost about $100/person plus food for 2 days.  We've spent more than that for less value at times.

Mainly we went because there was something really dear to one of my kids' heart at that zoo (which most zoos don't have).  That made it all worthwhile and more.

We changed up the plans though - I had wanted to go to an amusement park further south also, but it did not work out.  Maybe we'll do that in the fall.

What was at the zoo?

How did your other dd like the rest of camp?  I hope she had a good time.

What was at the zoo?

How did your other dd like the rest of camp?  I hope she had a good time.

Baby polar bear.

My other kid seemed to do great at the camp, although she also expressed annoyance at all the water pushing.  She made friends and took their contact info in hopes of a future meet-up.  Our troop leader, who was in my kids' cabin and who taught one of their badges, said she wanted to use my kids as spokesmen to tell others how great the camp is so more will come next year.  That she included both of my kids in that surprised me.  I still don't know how much input she had into the mid-week decision that I discussed on the earlier thread.  :)  Maybe I will find out tonight as we have a "mandatory" parent meeting.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Baby polar bear.

My other kid seemed to do great at the camp, although she also expressed annoyance at all the water pushing.  She made friends and took their contact info in hopes of a future meet-up.  Our troop leader, who was in my kids' cabin and who taught one of their badges, said she wanted to use my kids as spokesmen to tell others how great the camp is so more will come next year.  That she included both of my kids in that surprised me.  I still don't know how much input she had into the mid-week decision that I discussed on the earlier thread.  :)  Maybe I will find out tonight as we have a "mandatory" parent meeting.

That is so odd they want to use both kids? Hmmm

How is the dd who left early feeling about the camp now?

How is the dd who left early feeling about the camp now?

She isn't saying much, other than that she doesn't want to go back.

Both kids were bugged by the micromanaging.

Edited by SKL

Monday- dh went grocery shopping

Nothing the rest of the work week

Just dog sitting for a friend

Library free activities

Walks

Swim lessons and team 

Saturday -we went to a living history museum (free we have a membership) and swimming (free we have a membership)

He did hit the store for a few household things, some sewing supplies for dd, and stuff to try and get rid of our grounds squirrels.  Anyone remember that thread?  We still can't get rid of them.  We tried the seeds in the huge bucket for 2 weeks and we haven't gotten any.  I guess I have some genius ones. 

today we were going to go on another day trip to another town and buy some stuff off CL.  But I nixed it to clean the house.  Oh fun.

I am hopefully calling our internet provider to get a lower rate.  Hopefully since they jacked ours up but 40 bucks a month.

Then booking hotels for our up coming vacation.

I am thinking about doing a little vacation in a nearby town, because the kids got so many free passes to things there. 

Monday.

Hopefully meeting up with some people on CL to buy some of our stuff.  

Got the internet down!  Yippee.  We had called before and gotten a no.  We had to pay the higher rate for one or two months though.  UGH.

One kid just broke half our our bowls unloading the dishwasher. Argh.   There isn't a close thrift store and I don't want to send dh on his way to work, because I bet I wont like what he would pick out. 

So I will have to keep my eye out at the store or online for some replacements. 

I think we have gone through a whole set of cups, plates, and bowls at this point.

D took all four boys for haircuts. Two of them look nice. Two look passable.

I have been making small purchases like 59cent slushies for the kids. I'm cool with this because we need treats, and these are cheap.

Same for pool admission. $5 buys a great afternoon of fun. 

I went to the grocery store yesterday to replenish our supply of fresh fruits, snacks and such. Cake mixes were on sale. I bought...many. We will use them for donuts in the donut maker, a super fun activity that we all love.

Today, we went out for lunch. All of us. $75 for Chinese Buffet. :svengo: Won't be doing that again. 

I don't know if I mentioned last week that we started doing weekends out with mom. Taurus was first. I took him and Luna out for lunch, then to Children's Museum. It was ridiculously fun. The price is quite reasonable, but I found out that my homeschool affidavit will get me and a guest in for free! Can't wait to go back. I have to remember to ask for educators discounts everywhere.

D picked out a dining set for us. The same one I have wanted for ten years. We took the kids to look at it today. We wanted to make sure we all fit. We do. Nicely. We aren't buying it yet, but now we know we want it. 

http://www.kmart.com/essential-home-emily-breakfast-nook/p-00873867000P?prdNo=22&blockNo=22&blockType=G22

My window mechanism broke. It would not roll up. I drove So Much with 120degree air blasting me in the face. It was not nice.

D disassembled my door and repaired it. I now have a fully functional window again. Woohoo! I can't wait to drive somewhere. 

Summer program at the libraries is ending. We have a stack of freebies from local businesses for treats. Lemonade, slushies, free entry to a state park and golf passes. I won a free summer pass to our little town pool. That should keep us busy.

Additionally, D and I have decided to do a trial run of homeschooling. If the kids are compliant, and I am not overly frazzled, I don't have to send them back to school! We have already started with the little ones, Aries has chosen his work, and Sagg has a project to finish by Friday. The kids laptop broke :( but instead of buying a new one, I want to try using the library computers instead. We also have my Kindle, which is handling most of the online stuff just fine. 

For now, we are using free/existing materials, plus I need to print up some worksheets.

• Like 2

One kid just broke half our our bowls unloading the dishwasher. Argh.   There isn't a close thrift store and I don't want to send dh on his way to work, because I bet I wont like what he would pick out. 

So I will have to keep my eye out at the store or online for some replacements. 

I think we have gone through a whole set of cups, plates, and bowls at this point.

For some reason your post reminds me of a guy I used to date.  He took "frugal" to the furthest extreme.  He had 1 or 2 second-hand bowls.  Once when both were dirty, he expected me to eat breakfast cereal out of a very old and dented cooking pot.  Gives me a laugh now, though it wasn't that funny at the time.  :P  Mind you he was an employed professional with a graduate degree.  Prior to that relationship, I was pretty frugal, but dating that guy was a turning point.  I will now go all out and pay the 50c for a junky bowl we don't strictly need.  :P

And you also reminded me of when I was about 10 and unloading the dishwasher.  Trying to save time, I lifted up all 12 dinner plates into the cupboard, but they slipped out of my hands and all but 2 of them broke.  I felt so bad - 40 years later I haven't forgotten it.

I hate to waste, but at the same time, I'm thankful we live in a time and place where a kitchen mishap doesn't break the bank.

Maybe you could find an affordable set of dishes online.  That way you could pick what you want without driving all over the place.  :)

• Like 2

I need to start filling my Amazon cart with school clothes and supplies.  Ugh....

I had intended to spend part of last week doing an inventory of what I have and what I need, but plans changed.  Hopefully I can do it this week.

The kids have another sleep-away camp next week, so I may need to buy a few things.  I think I want to buy a couple of those laundry sacks that prevent that musty nasty smell my kids presented me with last week.

I may need to buy some virus protection for my kids' computers.  Maybe the one I bought for mine was good for 3 computers - I need to check.

• Like 2

Missed last week, and this week has been busy, and next week as well.  We finished up our Summer Reading Program. Kids read a ton of books, watched some awesome free shows and we have a whole stack of free coupons for ice-cream, etc.  My son won 2 tickets to the Mesquite Rodeo.  This week is the awards ceremony and next week is the Water Party.  

Tomorrow, my parents and brother show up to visit for a week.  We're all excited, and have spent the day today making sure there is nothing that disabled people can trip over or bump into.  We removed throw rugs as well, set up chairs so that a person paralyzed on one side can manage..  A simple life seems to make that easier and faster to fix it up. 

I'm putting off grocery shopping till they get here---to see just how much they fill up my fridge with all their lunch supplies.  (The struggle is real.) Also, I need to run my meal plan past Mom----it will be interesting and frustrating (as always) with 2 selective eaters who eat different things, a GF diabetic, me with an almost vegetarian diet for gallbladder issues, and 2 regular eaters, and my mom, who will live on lemonade and pop and snacks/chocolate because its too hot to eat.  There will be no staying on budget in Whoville this week. 

Spending for the last 2 weeks...

Used coupons at Chipotle last night for a Buy one get one free deal and a coupon at Burger King.  Cheap supper and made the kids happy.

Took the kids to IHOP for 58 cent pancakes in the middle of the afternoon after a circus dog show at the library.  Happy kids again--my daughter thought it was so much fun.

Three small trips to HEB and Walmart for ice- cream, freezy pops, etc. More things for the kids. :-) 

One medium trip to Aldi.

The kids and I went on a thrift store crawl Friday.  The first store was doing all kids clothes at 25 cents---picked 17 items that were on my list for the kids, also 3 pair of shoes for $5 for my son---barn boots, sandals, and a new looking pair of New Balance sneakers.  On the way out, the clerk made sure to invite me to take a free flat of blueberries and and free flat of mangoes.  Also, invited me to come every Friday for free food---they never know what they are getting and its not income based. I was a little hesitant to take it, but that's a real blessing to the budget.  Also picked out a USA puzzle for the kids, and a few other things---books of course. 

I won a free 31 bag from a director friend.  I have no idea what it is, but YAY. The same day, I got an email from a testing group that we are accepted to test a certain kind of flying toy for a big kid and my son is just over the moon with anticipation.  We've googled, and it must be new, since there is nothing I can find on the brand.  He's anxiously awaiting the mail.  

My husband is taking off 3 nights this week, since we have company. Also, free babysitters!!  Going to celebrate our 12th anniversary a week or so late--I have a GC for Applebee's.  

• Like 1

For some reason your post reminds me of a guy I used to date.  He took "frugal" to the furthest extreme.  He had 1 or 2 second-hand bowls.  Once when both were dirty, he expected me to eat breakfast cereal out of a very old and dented cooking pot.  Gives me a laugh now, though it wasn't that funny at the time.  :p  Mind you he was an employed professional with a graduate degree.  Prior to that relationship, I was pretty frugal, but dating that guy was a turning point.  I will now go all out and pay the 50c for a junky bowl we don't strictly need.  :p

And you also reminded me of when I was about 10 and unloading the dishwasher.  Trying to save time, I lifted up all 12 dinner plates into the cupboard, but they slipped out of my hands and all but 2 of them broke.  I felt so bad - 40 years later I haven't forgotten it.

I hate to waste, but at the same time, I'm thankful we live in a time and place where a kitchen mishap doesn't break the bank.

Maybe you could find an affordable set of dishes online.  That way you could pick what you want without driving all over the place.  :)

To funny!  

This is exactly what happened with the bowls.  Only it was my 8 year old going to fast unloading the dishwasher with a huge stack of bowls.   Slipped right out of the kiddo's hands.   All by 2 broke too!

Kid was in tears and so upset.  Willing to pay for new ones themselves.  

Oh yeah this isn't a break the bank thing either.  Hardly a blip on the radar for us.  Just wasn't something I was planning on buying.  I guess I should have a replacement budget for all the things the kids break on accident.

Yeah I will pick one up at some point.  But I do love to feel them before I buy.  Kind of a werido about how they feel and fit in the dishwasher. 

Missed last week, and this week has been busy, and next week as well.  We finished up our Summer Reading Program. Kids read a ton of books, watched some awesome free shows and we have a whole stack of free coupons for ice-cream, etc.  My son won 2 tickets to the Mesquite Rodeo.  This week is the awards ceremony and next week is the Water Party.  

Tomorrow, my parents and brother show up to visit for a week.  We're all excited, and have spent the day today making sure there is nothing that disabled people can trip over or bump into.  We removed throw rugs as well, set up chairs so that a person paralyzed on one side can manage..  A simple life seems to make that easier and faster to fix it up. 

I'm putting off grocery shopping till they get here---to see just how much they fill up my fridge with all their lunch supplies.  (The struggle is real.) Also, I need to run my meal plan past Mom----it will be interesting and frustrating (as always) with 2 selective eaters who eat different things, a GF diabetic, me with an almost vegetarian diet for gallbladder issues, and 2 regular eaters, and my mom, who will live on lemonade and pop and snacks/chocolate because its too hot to eat.  There will be no staying on budget in Whoville this week. 

Spending for the last 2 weeks...

Used coupons at Chipotle last night for a Buy one get one free deal and a coupon at Burger King.  Cheap supper and made the kids happy.

Took the kids to IHOP for 58 cent pancakes in the middle of the afternoon after a circus dog show at the library.  Happy kids again--my daughter thought it was so much fun.

Three small trips to HEB and Walmart for ice- cream, freezy pops, etc. More things for the kids. :-) 

One medium trip to Aldi.

The kids and I went on a thrift store crawl Friday.  The first store was doing all kids clothes at 25 cents---picked 17 items that were on my list for the kids, also 3 pair of shoes for $5 for my son---barn boots, sandals, and a new looking pair of New Balance sneakers.  On the way out, the clerk made sure to invite me to take a free flat of blueberries and and free flat of mangoes.  Also, invited me to come every Friday for free food---they never know what they are getting and its not income based. I was a little hesitant to take it, but that's a real blessing to the budget.  Also picked out a USA puzzle for the kids, and a few other things---books of course. 

I won a free 31 bag from a director friend.  I have no idea what it is, but YAY. The same day, I got an email from a testing group that we are accepted to test a certain kind of flying toy for a big kid and my son is just over the moon with anticipation.  We've googled, and it must be new, since there is nothing I can find on the brand.  He's anxiously awaiting the mail.  

My husband is taking off 3 nights this week, since we have company. Also, free babysitters!!  Going to celebrate our 12th anniversary a week or so late--I have a GC for Applebee's.  

Yay for all the cheap fun

Score on the free fruit!!

Happy Anniversary

D took all four boys for haircuts. Two of them look nice. Two look passable.

I have been making small purchases like 59cent slushies for the kids. I'm cool with this because we need treats, and these are cheap.

Same for pool admission. $5 buys a great afternoon of fun. 

I went to the grocery store yesterday to replenish our supply of fresh fruits, snacks and such. Cake mixes were on sale. I bought...many. We will use them for donuts in the donut maker, a super fun activity that we all love.

Today, we went out for lunch. All of us. $75 for Chinese Buffet. :svengo: Won't be doing that again. 

I don't know if I mentioned last week that we started doing weekends out with mom. Taurus was first. I took him and Luna out for lunch, then to Children's Museum. It was ridiculously fun. The price is quite reasonable, but I found out that my homeschool affidavit will get me and a guest in for free! Can't wait to go back. I have to remember to ask for educators discounts everywhere.

D picked out a dining set for us. The same one I have wanted for ten years. We took the kids to look at it today. We wanted to make sure we all fit. We do. Nicely. We aren't buying it yet, but now we know we want it. 

http://www.kmart.com/essential-home-emily-breakfast-nook/p-00873867000P?prdNo=22&blockNo=22&blockType=G22

My window mechanism broke. It would not roll up. I drove So Much with 120degree air blasting me in the face. It was not nice.

D disassembled my door and repaired it. I now have a fully functional window again. Woohoo! I can't wait to drive somewhere. 

Summer program at the libraries is ending. We have a stack of freebies from local businesses for treats. Lemonade, slushies, free entry to a state park and golf passes. I won a free summer pass to our little town pool. That should keep us busy.

Additionally, D and I have decided to do a trial run of homeschooling. If the kids are compliant, and I am not overly frazzled, I don't have to send them back to school! We have already started with the little ones, Aries has chosen his work, and Sagg has a project to finish by Friday. The kids laptop broke :( but instead of buying a new one, I want to try using the library computers instead. We also have my Kindle, which is handling most of the online stuff just fine. 

For now, we are using free/existing materials, plus I need to print up some worksheets.

I hope the home schooling goes well.

I have never asked about an educator's discount.  Smart.  I might have to try that

• Like 1