Menu

CLE 600 finished - now what?

Woohoo!!  DS  just finished CLE 600 and TT7.  The combination of these 2 over the last school year really brought his math skills and confidence up.   In 9th grade, he will be doing Algebra I with Jann in Tx.  My question is, what would be the best course of action for 8th this school year?  My thoughts are to continue with CLE 7 and get as much of 8th grade CLE math done as we can next summer, or just do TT Prealgebra.   I don't think he needs to both again this year, as it was very time consuming, and his math is now pretty strong.  I would not call him mathy though, and he is definitely not headed for a math related career.  Thank you for your input!

Edited by bluebonnetgirl

Which format did he prefer?  

You could combine CLE 700/800 to complete both in one year if you didn't add in TT7 (many have done so successfully and there are several ways to do that without overwhelming the student).  It would, IMHO, be a more robust Pre-Algebra than TT7 alone.

If he does much better with the TT7 format, though, that might not be a good plan.  

Perhaps if you added in videos from Khan Acacemy/You Tube with CLE that might help?

• Like 1

DD14 is completing CLE 800 this summer and will start algebra in the fall (she is enrolling in school full-time for high school). She is not mathy and has to work hard, but CLE has been good for her. If it works for your son, I'd be inclined not to switch. If you want to be ready for algebra after one more year, though, you would need to accelerate. This will only work if your son can handle the pace. It was not appropriate to accelerate DD, so we moved through at a normal pace.

To accelerate, some people skip all of the quizzes. With two per light unit, that would cut 40 lessons out of the two years. You can also skip the first book of each level (which is just review), so that cuts 34 lessons out (17 for each book, I think). If he doesn't need all of the review, you could have him do two lessons each day, completing the new material for each lesson, but skipping the first lesson's review pages, so that you only have one section of the spiral review to go through.

Other ideas -- start 700 now and work through next summer as well, maybe three days a week during the summer instead of five. Instead of skipping entire review sections, you could just cross off some of the problems in each day's work.

To accelerate radically, you could have him do all of the new material leading up to each quiz but maybe complete only a couple of the spiral review sections. Then take the quiz. If the score shows that he needs more practice, back up and do more of the review sections that you skipped. I would only do this on certain sections, if he seems to "get" the concepts right away. Zip through the new material that comes easily, but be prepared to slow down again as needed. This method will require you to be more observant and hands-on, instead of just having him work through the light units independently, because you will have to know when to speed him up and when to slow him down.

You can think through the pace that might work for him and calculate how many lessons he would actually need to complete to get through both 700 and 800 by the beginning of high school. You might find that it would be doable.

Again, though, it depends on your student. We felt DD could use two more years to shore up her understanding before starting algebra, and she really needed to do all of the practice problems, so we didn't accelerate much. She also had other commitments that limited the amount she could do over the summer. Many do accelerate CLE and are happy with it, though.

• Like 3

Thank you.  I hesitate to skip too many problems, but will look for the ones he is consistently strong in, and maybe eliminate some of them.  I would definitely skip the 701 and 801 LUs, and likely have him do 2 lessons a day of the other LUs.  I think that would allow him to  complete CLE Math 700 and 800 by the end of next summer.

702-710:  17 lessons x 9 = 153

802-810:  17 lessons x 9 = 153

Total:  306 lessons

If he does 2 lessons a day 4 days a week (8 lessons a week), he should be complete with CLE 700 and 800 by the end of  next summer, even with taking a few weeks off for vacations here and there.

Edited by bluebonnetgirl

I've accelerated CLE. Well, I am doing so now actually.

We do as someone said above: we skip the quizzes and the tests and skip the first books in the series. I also cross out some of the review problems. Sometimes if there are three review problems in a row of the same type, I'll have him do the first. If he gets the first one right, he can skip the other two. If not, he does those.

I check his work the same day he does it and he corrects it, so that the next day is fresh and all new.

I have to say, it's been grueling having to do math in the summer. I'm having to do CLE for ds11 and Algebra for DS13 and I greatly dislike doing math in the summer. The only bright spot in all this math during our break is that they will hit the ground running when school starts in late August. They won't have forgotten anything because they haven't had a day off from math in so long.

• Like 1

I would say Light Unit 810 is optional as well if you want to accelerate. It is all practical consumer math (see below from Scope and Sequence). Nice to know but not preparatory towards algebra.

Recognizing wants and needs Budgeting

Tracking present expenses

Writing a check

Important safety tips for writing a check

Budgeting – Projecting future expenses

Credit cards

Keeping a check register

Debit and ATM cards

Other checking account transactions

Budgeting – Making it work

Cashing or depositing a check

Recording expenses using a multicolumn journal

Reconciling your check register with your bank statement

The path of a check

Edited by 3andme
  • Like 1

Thank you.  I hesitate to skip too many problems, but will look for the ones he is consistently strong in, and maybe eliminate some of them.  I would definitely skip the 701 and 801 LUs, and likely have him do 2 lessons a day of the other LUs.  I think that would allow him to  complete CLE Math 700 and 800 by the end of next summer.

702-710:  17 lessons x 9 = 153

802-810:  17 lessons x 9 = 153

Total:  306 lessons

If he does 2 lessons a day 4 days a week (8 lessons a week), he should be complete with CLE 700 and 800 by the end of  next summer, even with taking a few weeks off for vacations here and there.

Agree, drop the 701 and 801 light units.  Skip the quizzes.  That eliminates 2 "lessons" from each light unit, bringing the total to 15.  Combining two lessons and only doing review problems from the second, plus skipping the quizzes means a light unit could be completed in 7.5 days instead of 2 1/2 weeks, but you could have him do all of lesson 15 of each light unit so that would be 8 days to finish a light unit.  If he only does math 4 days a week that means each light unit would be completed in 2 weeks.  18 light units would be completed in 36 weeks. Plot it out on a calendar to see where you want to take breaks.  Very doable as long as he doesn't start to struggle.  You could maybe pair CLE with something like CTC math so he would have access to videos and practice problems for targeted concepts/algorithms from kindergarten all the way through Calculus.

Good to know. But I really like the skills taught in 810, they are probably more relevant than anything else, so he will do 810 for sure!

I agree, 810 has very useful topics for daily life but he wouldn't need to complete 810 before starting Algebra 1.  He could do 810 on the side once a week while he works on Algebra I.  That would mean he could finish 700/800 in 34 weeks.  If you decided to skip every other test that would shorten the time to around 32 1/2 weeks.