Menu

Snorkeling equipment

Heather in MD

DD and I are going on a mother/daughter trip in a couple of weeks, and it will be her first time snorkeling.

(And my first time in about 18 years!).  I am wondering if it is worth it to buy our own mask/snorkel to take with us rather than renting them?

If so, any recommendations for good brands/types of equipment?  Either from somewhere like Amazon or a brick-and-mortar sporting goods store.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Are either or you nearsighted? If so, you may want to buy your own prescription masks. My friend just bought one from Amazon for about $50. Typing this out, I realize that I should get this for my son  :blushing: .

I hadn't even thought of that - I am nearsighted but she has perfect vision.  Now I have to find out what my prescription is...

We were just somewhere where there was snorkeling.  We went to the big box store an bought our own for about $12.  At the beach they were available to rent for $15 for regular snorkel, or $20 for Rx lenses.  Rental equipment was probably a little nicer, but since we plan to return, we thought we'd get our own.  It was helpful to have flexible tubing near the mouthpiece, which our cheapest kid set did not have.  In our case our glasses wearers didn't really miss their glasses, but it was low tide, and the fish (and us) were only in a foot or two of water at times...

I vote rent. Unless you have another opportunity to snorkel soon....Otherwise, why store equipment you might not use again for a few years (like 18! lol)

But, I'm on a decluttering kick - my place is too full of stuff I don't want to be roommates with anymore  :lol:

We have our own snorkel gear US Divers brand from Costco. They carry it in the summer time. We much prefer having our own gear. Our DD used the free stuff on a snorkel trip and she was the only one who didn't have a good experience as the rest of us used our own gear.

Most of us wear glasses but I wear contacts while snorkeling.

RX lenses would be wonderful for my DH who does not like putting in those contacs.

I can't even fathom using rental equipment.  We love our own and have our own fitted for us.  When my mom went with us to the Bahamas a year ago, we bought her her own - fitted just for her - too.  We prefer dry snorkels and masks that don't often leak...

For us, we get our (good) gear at a local Dive Shop.  It's one thing we spend money on to have what we want rather than accepting "what's out there."

We went on an excursion in Maui and just used the ones that had available to use. I felt very comfortable using them after seeing how they handled sanitizing them between groups. We could snorkel here (San Diego) but it wasn't something I felt I needed to buy, and then haul with me, on my trip.

I love my own gear, but how are you traveling? Will it be a pain to transport gear you won't use again for a long time?

That said, snorkeling gear takes up less weight/space than scuba gear, if you are only use a mask, fins and snorkel.

ETA I am also nearsighted and have always worn my contact lens with a regular mask. Maybe prices have gone down, but masks with Rx lens used to be somewhat pricey.

Edited by Seasider

I haven't Snorkeled since 1992.   Before I went the first time, I bought a Mask in a local store in TX where I lived. I believe it is very important the Mask be the proper size, etc.  As I recall, I bought the Fins by mail order and got better ones than I could buy locally, for a lower price.  I would suggest buying Masks locally and if you don't want to bring your fins with you, hopefully you can rent some (Decent?) ones at your destination.   Enjoy your trip!  Probably my mask and fins are in a box somewhere in the house, but after so many years, they will have deteriorated greatly from lack of use and drying out.