Menu

One of the good people of the world has died...Abdul Sattar Edhi of Pakistan

umsami

I know probably 99% of the people never heard of him, but please take a second to read this article on him and maybe share it with your kids.  Let them know that one person can really make a difference.  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36752208

"But he decided to take up philanthropy after seeing how the state failed to help his family care for his paralysed and ill mother, Dawn newspaper reported.

He opened his first clinic in 1951 and the Edhi Foundation grew to be the country's largest welfare organisation, running schools, hospitals and ambulance services across the country, often plugging gaps in services which the state simply fails to provide....

In 2014 he told the BBC that simplicity, honesty, hard work and punctuality were the cornerstones of his work.

"It is everyone's responsibility to take care of others, that's what being human means. If more people thought that way, so many problems could be solved," he said.

He was also known for his humble lifestyle - he reportedly owned just two sets of clothes and lived in a small and sparsely-furnished room next to the office of his foundation..."

• Like 30

I knew who he was. While its a shame he has left us, I'm happy he lived a long life and that his wife, who is significantly younger, will be able to carry on his work. They worked together very closely so she is prepared. He also has two sons and two daughters, and at least one son is committed to continuing his father's work as well. It seems he was preparing for death for a while, having handed over much of the information and knowledge, and planning his own funeral. These last generous acts will hopefully smooth the transition for those who need help the most.

• Like 4

NPR did a piece on him today.  No transcript yet, but it was a good listen IMHO.  http://www.npr.org/2016/07/11/485512667/pakistani-philanthropist-social-activist-abdul-sattar-edhi-dies-at-88

One of Pakistan's newspapers posted 10 top quotes from him.  My favorite is this:

“So, many years later there were many who still complained and questioned, ‘Why must you pick up Christians and Hindus in your ambulance?’ And I was saying, ‘Because the ambulance is more Muslim than you’.â€

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1138171/10-abdul-sattar-edhi-quotes-will-leave-inspired-life/

• Like 5

• 7 months later...