Menu

Where does Trigonometry fit and what is PreCalc anyway?

DS did Algebra 1 in 9th grade, Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th grade.  We've been using Teaching Textbooks and next in their sequence would be Pre-Calc.  Shouldn't Trig be next?  I took Trig in high school but never took pre calc.  Is Pre-Calc just another word for Trig, depending on the curriculum provider?  Or are they 2 very different subjects with specifics things to be covered?

So, am I okay just having him do Pre-Calc next or should I be looking for a high school Trig course?  DS is not a huge math fan.  He does okay in it, but not a fan.  Wouldn't do it if he didn't have to.  Wants to major in Biology.

• Like 2

They are not synonymous, but precalculus generally covers trigonometry sufficiently well to prepare for calculus. Trigonometry ad a course frequently covers the topic in greater depth, and precalculus as a course generally includes topics from college algebra not touched on in algebra 2.

For biology, math is becoming increasingly important. Biochemistry is starting to use calculus, and genetics is using a lot of advanced statistics requiring calculus as a prerequisite.

Precalculus will be plenty sufficient as a next step.

• Like 1

So along these lines I'm wondering what my son's CC course will cover  (pre calc with analytic geometry).  He took college algebra with trig.  Will this be a lot of the same things? 

I was wondering this, too, as I took Trig/Analytic Geometry in high school.  Will I be prepared to help my dc through Pre-Calc.?

• Like 1

So along these lines I'm wondering what my son's CC course will cover (pre calc with analytic geometry). He took college algebra with trig. Will this be a lot of the same things?

Yes, but not necessarily exactly the same, and seeing the content from a different perspective can be hugely beneficial in preparation for higher math.

I myself saw common content three times, and each of our kids will use (or have used) at least two textbooks from algebra onwards. Multiple sources is a good thing - most mathematicians become adept at it.

• Like 2

Many of the topics covered in Precalculus are more in depth than similar and overlapping topics in Algebra 2 and Geometry plus new topics.

Many Precalculus text books break it out into sections such as Trig, Analytic Geometry, Discrete Math, etc.

Really confusing is saying a course covers Precalculus and Trigonometry since "Precalculus" is primarily a "made-up" term that is a collection of math topics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precalculus

DS did Algebra 1 in 9th grade, Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th grade.  We've been using Teaching Textbooks and next in their sequence would be Pre-Calc.  Shouldn't Trig be next?  I took Trig in high school but never took pre calc.  Is Pre-Calc just another word for Trig, depending on the curriculum provider?  Or are they 2 very different subjects with specifics things to be covered?

So, am I okay just having him do Pre-Calc next or should I be looking for a high school Trig course?  DS is not a huge math fan.  He does okay in it, but not a fan.  Wouldn't do it if he didn't have to.  Wants to major in Biology.

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/v/vspfiles/tt/PreCalculus.htm

Teaching Textbooks Precalculus covers the usual topics (including Trig) and looks fine for a future Bio major.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think part of the confusion is that some don't realize Algebra as a topic doesn't just end. You can take 3rd & 4th year (and beyond) courses in 'algebra' at the university. 

It's not really the course name so much as the content that's the point (though the course names are sort of standardized...but there seems to be some variation in between curriculum and definitely variation between countries in terms of what's covered when...) 

Many of the topics covered in Precalculus are more in depth than similar and overlapping topics in Algebra 2 and Geometry plus new topics.

Many Precalculus text books break it out into sections such as Trig, Analytic Geometry, Discrete Math, etc.

Really confusing is saying a course covers Precalculus and Trigonometry since "Precalculus" is primarily a "made-up" term that is a collection of math topics.

Yeah, but looking at that list that was all covered in the College Algebra and Trig class.  So I guess this will be a continuation of that.

Another reason I ask is because I want to take a math class too and I can't decide which one to take.  I think I'll just take alg and trig.  I have the book already.  It'll be easier.  It's not my only gig..

Yeah, but looking at that list that was all covered in the College Algebra and Trig class.  So I guess this will be a continuation of that.

Another reason I ask is because I want to take a math class too and I can't decide which one to take.  I think I'll just take alg and trig.  I have the book already.  It'll be easier.  It's not my only gig..

Taking both College Algebra and College Trig would be Precalc.   Some colleges do not use Precalc in their titles at all.

• Like 1

Taking both College Algebra and College Trig would be Precalc.   Some colleges do not use Precalc in their titles at all.

The course is called College Algebra and Trig.  The next course in the series is Pre Calc with Analytic Geometry.  Not an exhaustive list of what was covered in the algebra class, but below are the course descriptions: 

MAT154 College Algebra & Trigonometry (3-0-3)

This course includes functions, functional notation, linear and quadratic functions, graphs of basic functions and graphing techniques such as shifts and reflections, constant slope and average rate of change, solving systems of linear and nonlinear systems, and constant slope and average rate of change, solving systems of linear and nonlinear systems, and complex numbers. The course also covers solving quadratic equations using factoring, the square root property and the quadratic formula, exponential and logarithmic equations and functions, trigonometric functions, the graphs of sine, cosine and tangent functions, and a brief introduction to vectors. PR: Eligible to register for a 100 level math course

MAT167 Precalculus With Analytic Geometry (4-0-4)

This course includes the following topics: functions, functional composition, inverse functions, domain and range, interval notation, polynomial functions, rational functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric, functions and graphs, analytic geometry, including parametric equations, polar coordinates and conics, systems of equations, introduction to limits and applications. PR: MAT 118 or MAT 154 or eligible to enroll in MAT 167

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

Thank you!  Your summary helps so much.  I went from Trig to Math Analysis in high school, which only adds to the confusion for me.  It's pretty obvious from my original post that I am not a "math person"  despite understanding Math Analysis pretty well at the time, though I couldn't even tell you want it is now without looking it up.  I just remember liking imaginary numbers.

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/v/vspfiles/tt/PreCalculus.htm

Teaching Textbooks Precalculus covers the usual topics (including Trig) and looks fine for a future Bio major.

Very helpful, thanks.

That MAT154 class is more like intermediate algebra than precalc. However, precalc will still be largely a reinforcement with additional depth.

Most students probably skip 154 and go straight to precalc, but there certainly is value in doing both.

Ok..but what about me?  LOL

I would prefer this not be too grueling.  I do work on these concepts myself regularly though.  But I lack confidence.  So...

Ack..I think I'll just take the 154. 

Either course I get away with not having to buy a book.  Obviously it is more expensive to take 2 courses instead of 1, but the courses are not ridiculously expensive either. 

• Like 1