Menu

Coffee or espresso snobs, please come in...

StaceyinLA

Have you ever used one of the stainless versions of this? I would be interested in trying it for the money, but I don't like to cook or heat anything in aluminum.

IKEA makes a stainless model for a good price:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30149839/

If you want some frothed milk, you can buy one of these, 

https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Cappuccino-Stainless-14-Ounce-Capacity/dp/B000X7GF40/ref=pd_sim_79_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41koSMzyW4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR266%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=61W642X33WMBGA62AB6B

The above set up was what I used between espresso machines.  It worked fine.  It wasn't quite the same of course, but it sufficed.  The nice thing is that both are stovetop, so I would just set my burner on and put both pots on there.  The milk took roughly the same amount of time to heat as the espresso maker took to make the coffee, and then I would just pump the milk to froth it.

So if you're using all these more manual methods, how do you get out the door quickly with coffee in hand? I'm just worried all this is gonna take too long, dirty too much crap and cause more stress than it's worth.

That being said, my coffee from my French press this morning is much better; just worried about how quickly I'm gonna go through a pound of coffee!

I looked at more superautomatic machines online last night. There's a lower end Gaggia machine that's reasonably priced. I watched videos and it looks good, but of course, these guys ARE trying to sell these machines...

Edited by StaceyinLA

So if you're using all these more manual methods, how do you get out the door quickly with coffee in hand? I'm just worried all this is gonna take too long, dirty too much crap and cause more stress than it's worth.

That being said, my coffee from my French press this morning is much better; just worried about how quickly I'm gonna go through a pound of coffee!

I looked at more superautomatic machines online last night. There's a lower end Gaggia machine that's reasonably priced. I watched videos and it looks good, but of course, these guys ARE trying to sell these machines...

I used a manual machine (Kitchen Aid Proline Espresso machine) for years.  

I would turn it on in the am while I was doing other things, then come back and make it within 5 min.  But it isn't fast.  The stovetop set up IS safe for the dishwasher, so that is a plus.

But the learning curve should be done BEFORE you need to get out the door quickly.

• Like 1

I think there is an electric version of the stove top moka pot. Not sure if it is faster. 

But I'm with you, I'd need a cup of coffee just to be awake enough to make coffee using some of these methods. 

I'd look at the Ninja Coffee Bar if I were you, and maybe buy it from a place that has a good return policy if you don't like it. It will brew different strengths up to espresso like quality, and the people I know that have one like it a lot. 

That said, I'm drinking cafe bustelo from a k-cup lol. 

Okay so here is what just happened - I ordered a superautomatic. It's not gonna be top of the line, but I think it'll give me an idea of how much I'll use/enjoy it and then I can possibly move on to a better machine.

I just figure by the time I buy all the other small crap, in addition to the grinder, I'll have spent a couple hundred bucks only to possibly buy a superautomatic anyway.

I got the Gaggia Brera for $259 refurbished after watching several videos and talking with the guy at Whole Latte Love. We shall see...

• Like 4

Okay so here is what just happened - I ordered a superautomatic. It's not gonna be top of the line, but I think it'll give me an idea of how much I'll use/enjoy it and then I can possibly move on to a better machine.

I just figure by the time I buy all the other small crap, in addition to the grinder, I'll have spent a couple hundred bucks only to possibly buy a superautomatic anyway.

I got the Gaggia Brera for $259 refurbished after watching several videos and talking with the guy at Whole Latte Love. We shall see...

Yay! I hope it is fantastic!!!

Yay! I hope it is fantastic!!!

I'm hopeful it'll be a decent machine. I don't expect perfection for that price, but I think it'll be a good opportunity to give it a shot. ;-p

Also I just got myself a coffee subscription through Camano and I'm pretty pumped! Great coffee isn't gonna hurt the cause.

Hey if anyone wants to try the subscription thing out, use this link - http://j.mp/29OjhQc - you'Il get $20 off your first order (amazing deal even if you cancel), and I'll get a $20 credit on my next order. Win-win. ;-p

Oops, you might have to enter my name on there as a referral so if you want to sign up for the trial, PM me! ;-p

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 3

Please keep us posted about how it goes, what your learning curve is.  That is the absolute most I could consider spending (I am sure the same for you, lol). But, if you like it, if it works for you, then I might be able to convince DH next year.  300$ is a lot less than 1000$+.

We also have a french press and an automatic. I like the french press more, but it makes a smaller amount and I can't be bothered to buy another one after dh brought home the automatic, lol. But...the automatic is going to die at some point and it would be good to have a suggestion for when it does, kwim? I don't need 'the best espresso ever'. I just need good enough that I feel like I got my $$ worth for the fancy machine. My '$ worth' will be less at 300$ than for a super fancy one. That thing had better be life changing. But the call of a halfway decent americano from home is so, so tempting.

• Like 1

I'm hopeful it'll be a decent machine. I don't expect perfection for that price, but I think it'll be a good opportunity to give it a shot. ;-p

Also I just got myself a coffee subscription through Camano and I'm pretty pumped! Great coffee isn't gonna hurt the cause.

Hey if anyone wants to try the subscription thing out, use this link - http://j.mp/29OjhQc - you'Il get $20 off your first order (amazing deal even if you cancel), and I'll get a $20 credit on my next order. Win-win. ;-p

Oops, you might have to enter my name on there as a referral so if you want to sign up for the trial, PM me! ;-p

Oooooooh, love Camano! My favorite is the Papua New Guinea blend. We recently tried the espresso blend - it was not our preference, but not bad - I just didn't fall in love with it. It was on the oily side for a super automatic, and in our machine we definitely prefer a lighter roast, and no need for espresso blends, but we gave it a shot. We like some of their other blends, too. Nothing beats fresh roasted, the way they ship it. Yum. Let me know which blend you like?

Oooooooh, love Camano! My favorite is the Papua New Guinea blend. We recently tried the espresso blend - it was not our preference, but not bad - I just didn't fall in love with it. It was on the oily side for a super automatic, and in our machine we definitely prefer a lighter roast, and no need for espresso blends, but we gave it a shot. We like some of their other blends, too. Nothing beats fresh roasted, the way they ship it. Yum. Let me know which blend you like?

Well crap! I wish I would've read this first. I did order one pound of that espresso blend. I asked her if it was oily and she said it wasn't and that they use it all the time in all their machines. She also said it was really only the equivalent of a medium roast. We shall see.

I also ordered the New Guinea and their Camano Island signature blend in decaf. I am so excited for it all to arrive!!

Hey any suggestions on good cups? My nephew had some insulated glass ones that were really cool, but I wondered if anyone had favorites they'd like to share.

And also, storage for beans. If I only get a monthly shipment, I know I'll want a good storage option for my beans.

We're drinking the espresso blend now. It's still better than Starbucks. :)

We use the basic fiestaware cups. And once the bag is open, we store the remainder in a container that has a button on the lid that supposedly pulls the air out. OXO, maybe? Clear, white top, grey silicone ring. The spaghetti holder size fits what remains of a bag, after filling the empty hopper, just barely.

I'll be interested to see what others do!

We're drinking the espresso blend now. It's still better than Starbucks. :)

We use the basic fiestaware cups. And once the bag is open, we store the remainder in a container that has a button on the lid that supposedly pulls the air out. OXO, maybe? Clear, white top, grey silicone ring. The spaghetti holder size fits what remains of a bag, after filling the empty hopper, just barely.

I'll be interested to see what others do!

That is so funny.  We use our fiesta ware cups too.  I have the 18 ounce ones.  The espresso machine I have (Francis! Francis!) has a very low clearance for cups, so I do have to tilt it a bit, but it is easier to just make the shots directly into the cup I will be using.

I told DH that once I start working, I may be saving up for a super automatic.  I got a job offer (but am waiting for the paperwork to come through before it is official) and I will have to LEAVE the house by 6am!  I think I will be ready for a button to push!

• Like 1

DawnM, at 6 am, a button is necessary!  

I know, right?

In some ways it is a good thing, it is near the downtown area, so traffic will be nonexistent at 6am and I get out by 2:15-2:30, so traffic will be fine then as well.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

No fiesta ware here, but I'm assuming that is just a stoneware type cup? I think I'm going to order the Bodum glass insulated ones (or something similar). I just need to be sure I don't get a size that won't fit under the spout of my machine. I know it has a lower clearance than some others, but it looked like it can use a regular size mug (maybe 10-12 ounces).

The little insulated espresso ones are precious, but I'm never going to just have a single shot of espresso.

I'm excited that the Brera will do long coffee and I can program it to do the amount of water I want for that, so I should be able to do something for my weirdo guests (like my sister) that don't really care for cappucinos. ;-p

Okay, so if I'm programming to do about how much water I want per shot of espresso or for a long coffee (it'll store both of those in the memory), about how many ounces of water is typical?

• Like 1

No fiesta ware here, but I'm assuming that is just a stoneware type cup? I think I'm going to order the Bodum glass insulated ones (or something similar). I just need to be sure I don't get a size that won't fit under the spout of my machine. I know it has a lower clearance than some others, but it looked like it can use a regular size mug (maybe 10-12 ounces).

The little insulated espresso ones are precious, but I'm never going to just have a single shot of espresso.

I'm excited that the Brera will do long coffee and I can program it to do the amount of water I want for that, so I should be able to do something for my weirdo guests (like my sister) that don't really care for cappucinos. ;-p

Okay, so if I'm programming to do about how much water I want per shot of espresso or for a long coffee (it'll store both of those in the memory), about how many ounces of water is typical?

My point was more that I just use what I have on hand.  

Late to this one, but I got a Gaggia Brera for Christmas and I love it so much. I would never have been able to afford it if it hadn't been a gift. It has a learning curve for sure, but the coffee is amazing.

Well that makes me happy!! I hope I love it!

Have you programmed an amount for your standard espresso shot, and, if so, about how much is it? For your long coffee? And do you do 1, 2 or 3 bean shots?

I'm just trying to think of a starting point...

Well that makes me happy!! I hope I love it!

Have you programmed an amount for your standard espresso shot, and, if so, about how much is it? For your long coffee? And do you do 1, 2 or 3 bean shots?

I am finally sitting down to look at the machine you have vs. the Academia machine.  Looks like the espresso shots are similar, it is mostly the extra step of steaming that is different, as well as more settings and a better display, fancier, etc.....

I really hope you are happy with your machine! 

Please keep us posted.

• Like 1

I did program it for both.  I think a standard shot is about an oz?  I had shot glasses I used.  Whole Latte Love has some very helpful videos on youtube since there is a learning curve.  I learned about different grinds, different settings etc.  I use mine both for espresso and for very strong coffee, which I like.  I'm a three bean girl, but that will really depend on your tastes.  :)

I am finally sitting down to look at the machine you have vs. the Academia machine. Looks like the espresso shots are similar, it is mostly the extra step of steaming that is different, as well as more settings and a better display, fancier, etc.....

I really hope you are happy with your machine!

Please keep us posted.

Yeah that one is definitely a bit fancier, and probably better made, but, for right now, the Brera fits my budget well (by budget I mean budget for what I wanted to spend). ;-p

It's due to arrive tomorrow.

I got my first shipment of Camano coffee today. I would definitely encourage y'all to try their coffee. If you use my link you'll not only get $20 off your first shipment (I got 3 full POUNDS of coffee for under $30 and this is all shade-grown, organic and mostly single origin, roasted the day of or before shipping), but I'll get $20 off my next shipment. After you set up a shipment, you'll get a link to get people to sign up (and you can cancel after your first shipment so there's no commitment), and you get $20 off a shipment every time someone uses your link. AWESOME deal and the coffee I've tried so far is amazing!

http://j.mp/29Eotbr - link again if anyone else wants to try it!

• Like 2

I did program it for both. I think a standard shot is about an oz? I had shot glasses I used. Whole Latte Love has some very helpful videos on youtube since there is a learning curve. I learned about different grinds, different settings etc. I use mine both for espresso and for very strong coffee, which I like. I'm a three bean girl, but that will really depend on your tastes. :)

I've watched the You Tube video, but plan to watch it again after I get my machine and am programming it. I'm glad to know your measurements. I'm kind of an in-between gal, so I'm gonna shoot for 2 beans and see what happens! You should check out the link I just posted and try that coffee if you haven't; it's really awesome, especially if you get the $20 off!

Yeah that one is definitely a bit fancier, and probably better made, but, for right now, the Brera fits my budget well (by budget I mean budget for what I wanted to spend). ;-p

It's due to arrive tomorrow.

I got my first shipment of Camano coffee today. I would definitely encourage y'all to try their coffee. If you use my link you'll not only get $20 off your first shipment (I got 3 full POUNDS of coffee for under $30 and this is all shade-grown, organic and mostly single origin, roasted the day of or before shipping), but I'll get $20 off my next shipment. After you set up a shipment, you'll get a link to get people to sign up (and you can cancel after your first shipment so there's no commitment), and you get $20 off a shipment every time someone uses your link. AWESOME deal and the coffee I've tried so far is amazing!

http://j.mp/29Eotbr - link again if anyone else wants to try it!

Yay! So, so happy that you like it! I feel like a nut job, because every time coffee comes up - I encourage people to try Camano. It is the coffee DH and I always go back to, after trying others. And we've been getting shipments for 4-5 years! Excellent roaster. If we visit that area, we fully intend to tour the roastery. :) ...also, check out the CEO's TEDtalk if you want to feel even better about it. Love them. Edited by Spryte

My grinder is dying.  I am quite sure the burrs are worn out anyway, but I am continuing to use it for now.

I need to replace the grinder, but I want to stick with a lower end/entry model.  I don't care to spend $500 or more for a grinder.

I have been talking to Spryte about getting a one button model, but I timed myself using my manual to get it down to two minutes! yup, you read that right, it is now down to TWO MINUTES.

I come in, turn it on while my beans grind.  I don't count that time, since i am not just standing there doing nothing.  I am getting my lunch together, etc.....

Once it is on, and heated, I start the timer.

scoop grounds into portafilter, tamp

pull out milk, put it in the cup

start steaming, aprox 45 seconds

turn off steam

push button for shots, 45 seconds

while espresso shots are coming out, get a spoonful of sugar and plop it in there

VOILA!  2 minuts!

Now, that doesn't include cleaning, but I will do that later anyway most likely.

I can live with 2-5 minute in the kitchen while I get my lunch and breakfast together, pulled out of the fridge and put into my lunchbox

• Like 1

• 9 months later...