Menu

How do you handle meds in dorms?

Night Elf

Dd is on a few medications. I can't see her carrying around all the bottles, especially because she'll likely have a 3-month supply. I thought of a locking trunk in her room but am worried about the space in the small room. Where does your child store his/her meds?

I think it depends on the type of meds.  General meds I would be comfortable with just keeping in an unlocked drawer in a locked dorm room.  Anything with a "secondary market" should definitely be locked up.  How about a locking box kept in the dorm closet?  I have a heavy duty fireproof box that is pretty small but would work well, for example.

He keeps them in his desk drawer. It can lock, but I don't think he locks it. Also, make sure she knows not to discuss them with her friends. You never know who might np e listening in and you don't want to make her a target for theft or have anyone approach her as a potential source.

• Like 1

Dd is on a few medications. I can't see her carrying around all the bottles, especially because she'll likely have a 3-month supply. I thought of a locking trunk in her room but am worried about the space in the small room. Where does your child store his/her meds?

NM  too much info about another student, not mine.

Anyway, a metal locking box will do the trick. 

Edited by TranquilMind

We bought our daughter a fire proof safe to store her meds in. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-500-FIRE-SAFE-Cubic-Black/dp/B000W8J75E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467580946&sr=8-2&keywords=Fire+proof+safe

Because of the meds dd is on, we sat down and talked with the Dorm mother about what our dd was bringing with her and she let us know that they have a safe to store larger quanity of meds.  So, dd only kept 2 weeks worth in her dorm room at a time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We bought our daughter a fire proof safe to store her meds in. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-500-FIRE-SAFE-Cubic-Black/dp/B000W8J75E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467580946&sr=8-2&keywords=Fire+proof+safe

Because of the meds dd is on, we sat down and talked with the Dorm mother about what our dd was bringing with her and she let us know that they have a safe to store larger quanity of meds.  So, dd only kept 2 weeks worth in her dorm room at a time.

Thank you. The dimensions on this safe looked good so I bought it. Hopefully it will work out well.

• Like 1