Menu

Diabetes Test Strips

OnMyOwn

A family member has just been diagnosed with diabetes. She has the One Touch Ultra II to test her blood sugar but the test strips are $45 for 25 test strips even with a prescription. Is there a good meter with cheaper test strips?

Edited by OnMyOwn

I use the same strips and get them free using the mail order RX feature on my insurance - have your family member CALL the insurance and ask. If they are Medicare, there are options with companies like Liberty to get supplies for free mail order.

Walmart offers the strips for the Reli-on meter at $18 for 100 strips. I think that's the cheapest I've ever found. I don't use it because it won't upload results to my doc's computer, but it is a perfectly fine meter and is accurate.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 1

Buy a Wal-Mart Relion meter.  The meter will be about $15.  She can get strips much cheaper than still use a small 0.3 microlitre sample.  They are by far the cheapest I've seen.

Thank you for this! Because of my weight loss surgery I'm not able to do the normal gestational diabetes tests and will have to monitor my blood sugar at home for a week. Which seemed like a great idea until I looked at the cost of test strips!!!!  This will be much more reasonable. 

One warning, don't try to test one meter against the other for accuracy.  This is a sure route to frustration.  The meters/strips are accurate to +/- 20% so a reading of 100 can be anywhere between 80 and 120.  

Sounds like you have a cost effective solution with the Relion.  Another inexpensive option is WaveSense Presto (I use Amazon).

• Like 1