Menu

PMS help?

Up until the last year or so I never suffered much except for a day or so of cramps and a bit of bloating. Lately though I'm experiencing some pretty bad symptoms of what I'm thinking is PMS. Specifically extreme fatigue, heavy duty emotional swings (running the gamut from anger to tears), and headaches. The last couple of cycles I've had a few days where I'm actually about ready to leave dh and the kids and go hide in a cave in the woods somewhere! My cycles since the last baby have gotten quite unpredicatable sometimes lasting only 20 days or so, others pushing 45 days so it's hard for me to pinpoint and label the symptoms. So I never know if I'm losing my mind or if AF is on the way.

Any suggestions? Would I be better off trying to work with this on my own or is a doc. visit in order?

:grouphug: I suffer from this monthly. Much more so since my 2nd dd. I am on bc so mine comes regularly. Even the pms. For 10 days I am an emotional wreck, I find it hard to control my thoughts and am either on edge or crying over anything. It helps now for me to tell dh right out what's going on so he's prepared. I also tell my dd's. I have been to the dr., but their last response (4yrs ago) was to put me on anti-despressant. The thing is, I don't need it for 30 days only 10, and it really messed with my body. I went off of it after 8 months. Now that I'm getting closer to 40, I'm thinking about going to my new dr. and seeing what is new out there that might help. I'm also worried it's a bigger hormonal issue than just pms, cause it is so severe.

Honestly, it helps to know that dh understands what's going on. It also helps to have dark, dark chocolate in the house. Not joking here. If it's possible I also get away for a few hours shopping by myself. And pray! It couldn't hurt to see the dr.

Take care.

I think some blood work would be a good place to start at your doctor's office. I would also research progesterone and estrogen to see where you might fall for a possible deficiency with those.

I am now using a progesterone cream. I am also on an anti-depressant. They have made all the difference for my life. I urge you to research and seek answers. You deserve to find out what might help all those things. (I don't have the unpredictable cycles, but did have wicked PMS, depression, bloating, mood swings, shortening cycles among the symptoms.)

:grouphug: Feeling that way is awful! I hope you find something to help.

:grouphug:

I right there with you.:( Shorter time in between cycles (sometimes longer) and horrible mood swings. I cry, I want to rant, and I want to just get away. I think it has more to do with age than having kids, though it started after I had my 5th. I was 35 at the time. I'm 38 now.

I have debated meds, but it does feel frustrating to get something for a problem that lasts a week. (though for a few months it lasted 2 weeks).

Exercise has helped. I'm sure it would help to cut sugar and bad stuff out of my diet, but I have been unwilling to do that. Overall, I have a healthy diet.

Right now my plan is to keep running, and take some mental health days. My oldest can watch my kids and I can go to Knoxville for a nice lunch and some alone time at McKay's (a huge used book store :001_smile:).

If it continues to get worse, or you really feel at the end of your rope, do go see a doctor.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I totally understand where you are and what you're saying. I have been there. More times than I care to admit.

I don't want to minimize what you're saying and feeling in the least. Have you checked your diet by any chance?

Recently (about 2.5-3 months ago), I changed my diet drastically. I basically cut out all sugar, all bread (except the occasional whole wheat pita), all dairy and all meat, eating only fruit,vegetables and beans. I did this for the sole purpose of getting back into my pre-pregnancy weight from a birth in May.

But guess what else it did? It completely removed ALL symptoms of PMS. No cramps. No bloating. No mood swings. For the first time I didn't have that out of body experience (you know, where your saying things (yelling) and thinking to yourself, "why am I yelling? I'm not even upset? Why am I doing this!?)! Nothing. In fact, my periods since then have come and I didn't even know I was supposed to be getting it. Usually I have warning.

If you doubt the power of the diet, I will tell you that this last month I have strayed from my severe diet restrictions. Since I am back into my pre-pregnancy clothes (which was the goal), I have eased up on this diet. I got my period yesterday. I knew it was coming this time. While I still didn't get the same symptoms in their severity as I did before this diet, I did have some. Mainly in mood. Dh and I had our first fight on Saturday in I don't know how long. While I don't accept all blame, I know much of the tension could have been avoided if I had kept up on this diet - I wouldn't have been so sensitive and on attack mode.

So anway, if you can, start with a diet change. If that doesn't work, or you think there's more going on, then by all means see a doctor. Just don't underestimate the power of the diet.

:grouphug:

ETA: I forgot to mention that I eliminated all caffeine too. I still haven't had any caffeine (which is hard now that the weather is getting cooler. I do love a hot cup of coffee!). I have added in some dairy (cheese and in my tea I have added milk) as well some sugar (dark chocolate and in my tea I started adding sugar - why I did that, I don't know! I'm mad at myself - who knew it would be so good!?) So since I have had some symptoms come back, I wonder if it's the sugar. But since it hasn't been severe like it was, I hold a lot of it to the caffeine. That's my personal experience and opinion, of course. I plan on going back on my diet starting immediately so that I am in a good place in November and December when there is so much chaos from Thanksgiving (having family here) and Christmas).

Edited by Janna

I'm 44yo, perimenopausal, and PMS - which I've always had somewhat - has become worse for me in the past couple of years. I am managing it quite well without meds now.

I think that checking in with your MD or OB/Gyn can be helpful. You could have hormone and thyroid tests done. and EVEN if those tests show some abnormalities, you don't necessarily have to go on meds, you could try to manage without. It may depend on levels and recommendations and how you react to those things. I do not tolerate BC pills, e.g., or the ring or the patch, etc... I've tried them every few years - whatever the newest administration method is.

Two years ago I did get a prescrip for "serafem" from my OB. It's basically paxil that you can take for a few days at a time. Is that what you tried or are you saying you were prescribed to take it daily and that was too much? Between it and dietary, supplements and exercise I've arrived at a point where I don't take the serafem for PMS anymore but it helped for the first 6 months of trying to get a management routine.

Last year, I had to increase my iodine intake - make sure I was getting it in my multivitamin or eat kelp - for my thyroid and that stabilized my period irregularity. I tend to forget to salt foods. I didn't want to have to take thyroid hormone if I could help it.

In my experience, cutting out sugar and refined carbs - most carbs in my case - is also very helpful overall for energy levels and edginess. Exercise too. Even if I can only squeeze in 10 minutes a day, it can make a huge difference.

Last year I also started taking some supplements that include black cohosh and dong quai. I always check on the actual clinical data on herbs. Black Cohosh is showing efficacy for hot flashes but be informed about it. I started having hot flashes so I take the herb supplements during pms but not 24/7. Black Cohosh may also be hard on the liver in large doses so I take only as needed.

Black cohosh and dong quai show some good clinical results as a combo to treat PMS. my current that is great for me is PMS harmony by a company called futurebiotics.

See these databases for more on the herbs and others you may ever want to look into, they don't always agree so read thoroughly if you are truly interested:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/dong-quai-000238.htm

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/black-cohosh-000226.htm

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69140.cfm

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69207.cfm

There's also the Nat'l Inst of Health's Alt med site. You could google for it.

They generally give precautions and interactions. If you can access a REAL ND (naturopathic doctor) who is schooled both in western med and alternative treatments, they might be a good resource if you wish to go a different route than just taking BC or antidepressants or both. I don't have that luxury where I am so I proceed cautiously.

HTH - Jill

Thanks for sharing your thoughts ladies. I agree that both diet and excercise are key. I've been getting 40-50 min of excercise 5 times per week since last February (2007) I also cut way back on sugar and carbs (loosely following the South Beach Diet). I eat only raw fruits and veggies all day long and have a carb lite dinner (whole grains sometimes, lean protein, veggies). Yet the scale hasn't budged more than 8lbs during this whole time!

I sought help from my primary care doc this spring and he had me begin taking a B100 complex. This was around the same time that I began the diet and excercise regime and these steps absolutely increased my general energy level significantly. Back then I was feeling fatigued every day, not just a few days a month. My TSH level was tested (hypothyroidism and female issues run in the family) and was about average. Doc would not do a Free T3 or T4 though I specifically asked. I don't like to push him too hard (he goes to church with us and is quite friendly socially with my dh).

I started the couch to 5K running program five weeks ago so I've upped the intensity of my excercise significantly as well. This seems to have broken the weight loss plateau as well, 3 of the 8lbs total have come since beginning running. My BMI now is hovering around 29.

The biggest challenge is the total emotional 'meltdown' that I suffer as well as the irregularity of the cycles. Running has been great to burn off some stress but within 10 minutes of arriving home someone already has me t'd off or in tears again.

I've only taken anti-depressants once for a short period post partum. While mood lifiting, they came with lots of other side effects that were less than pleasant. B/c pills are out for me as well.

I'll do some research on supplements and estrogen/progestrone issues. Thanks for the links also. Helps to know I'm not alone in this battle either.

Do you get plenty of Omega-3s? That you exercise so much but see little weight drop makes me think of that. I also have experienced that. Then when I finally added in 1 to 3 grams of omega-3 daily supplement to my routine, I dropped 10 lbs. same thing happened to my dh. I'm not talking a handful of walnuts every couple of days but either walnuts every day or a fish-flaxseed oil combo or something. I really had no idea I needed so much, but there it was. I saw lots of improvements from that little step and it can influence hormonal levels and even helps protect against osteoporosis which being an early menopauser, I'm thinking about... Keep us posted. - Jill

My experience is that the treatment is very individual. One of my doctors is very "alternative' and when I went to her she asked me how my creativity was going, and suggested I see a counsellor to talk about issues. However, the biggest stabiliser for me has been progesterone cream and it has made such a difference that time of the month is no longer a nightmare, just an irritation.

I do think that premenstrually, things that we could cover, control, deny, repress, ignore, the rest of the month, demand to be seen and expressed at that time- we lose the ability to "get on with it". I used to get so angry with my husband at that time of the month- and I used to give myself such a hard time for it- until I learned that the issues were there all the time, I just pretended they werent, and it came out that way- unclear, shrewish, highly emotional- with PMS. When I realised that, I worked really hard to deal with the issues and I learned to trust what I saw and felt premenstrually instead of just writing it off as insane PMS. It was/ is real. Grief, anger, pain, depression- well, who wouldn't experience these in these times, and if there is no outlet for them the rest of the month, if we are too busy to feel them, PMS is how they express.

Of course, imbalance of hormones is another factor- but I don't believe it is the whole story. But to deal with that, my regime is regular meals (and I dont believe mainly raw food is grounding and nurturing enough to be considered as stabilising- mostly raw foods can be very ungrounding), supplements of whatever I am into at the time- various fatty acids, iodine, multi vitamins, spirulina, chaste tree- progesterone cream, gentle exercise, listening to cravings and trying to satisfy them in a way that is not self destructive (like buying good quality dark chocolate instead of pigging down a pkt of cheap choc covered biscuits), limiting sugar, and getting as much extra sleep as possible, including an afternoon rest time. I studied Ayurveda and they recommend women take time for extra rest in the week before their period. Being given "permission" by a 5000 year old medical system helped me.

By the way, I have tried low carb diets and I get depressed every time. Healthy carbs in moderation seem important to my system.

Listen to your own body- dont go out running if it says sleep. Don't eat a raw salad if your body wants steak and mashed potato with butter. Sticking to a diet can also prevent you from being in tune with yourself and what your body is needing to balance itself.

Hope that helps