Menu

Help me with menu ideas, plz!!!!

My in-laws are coming for a week and I need help menu planning. At this point, I'm looking for about 6 dinners and a lunch or two. One is diabetic and one has to be gluten free. We don't eat like that, so I'm kind of at a loss. I have a chicken and veggie meal, and bbq-ed chicken and veggie meal on my list. Beyond having that multiple times, I need some more ideas. Keep in mind, this is also going to feed people who don't nornally eat this way, so I don't want to get too crazy....we may go out one or two times, but with that long of a stay, we were really hoping to not do that every night.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Taco meat with salad for the diabetic and corn tortillas or shells for gluten free

Roasted chicken with veggies and sweet potatoes

Hamburgers with lettuce wrap for diabetic and gluten free person. Cole slaw or salad side.

BBQ pork shoulder in crock pot. Cole slaw and skip buns. You can make baked beans and leave out most of the sugar. They're usually way too sweet anyway.

What would you normally make? It's usually pretty easy to tweak.

As far as the GF part...

Gluten free is actually pretty easy, I've learned (although at first it seemed so challenging -- I don't know why!).  It's mostly just whatever you typically have, but leave out the bread or wheat product.  So if you're serving steak with a baked potato and french bread, leave out the french bread; if you have a hamburger, serve her the patty with all the trimmings but not on a bun, etc.  People who are GF can eat rice.  The substitutes I have on hand for my GF children when they're visiting are GF bread, GF pasta, and corn tortillas.  They can use the GF bread for sandwiches, on the side of a meal, or even to replace the bun in a hamburger.  The GF pasta can be used in salads or spaghetti or whatever.  You can either make her part separately, or simply make the entire pasta salad or dish with GF pasta.  You can pretty much get it at any grocery store these days.  If I make the whole dish out of GF pasta, people usually don't even notice.  The corn tortillas are nice because they can be used with tacos, or for lunch as a quesadilla (melted cheese), or just on the side of a meal instead of bread.

Pizza was probably hardest for me!  But that was solved when many restaurants in the area began serving individual GF pizzas.  Now even if I make a pizza, I can pick up a little GF one to have for the GF person.  (You can also get GF crusts, or make crusts out of GF flour or even chopped cauliflower;  but, you can also just pick up a ready-made one at a pizza restaurant!)

For breakfast:  oatmeal or eggs, with GF toast.