Menu

I am doing something for me

JumpyTheFrog

Last summer Moxie had a thread about getting into a career. That inspired me to spend several months learning to program. I eventually realized that it isn't something I can do well learning part-time. Some things are best learned full-time and programming/web development is one of them.

Although I already have a college degree, I never really started a career because I had kids young. I wanted to announce that I have been going through Khan Academy to brush up on my math in preparation for a placement test at the local community college. They have an associates degree in a field that uses some programming as a tool (rather than the main part of the job). It has been very good for my mental health the last two weeks doing something toward getting a career going. I will start part-time in the fall and hope to do some internships or co-ops over the next few years. This time I will learn specific skills and be employable.

Although we don't need the money (and have good disability and life insurance on my DH), it makes me happy to feel like someday I might be able to support myself if need be. When I graduated from college, we were living in an area that didn't have a great job market. It really hurt my confidence to apply for dozens of jobs and only get a few interviews. I even applied to clean at a motel and never heard back.

Anyway, it feels good to have a goal for me, that has nothing to do with my kids education or extracurriculars. I feel like the last decade has been devoted almost completely to them (and trying to regain my lost health). Now I might get to be a person again.

• Like 17

Last summer Moxie had a thread about getting into a career. That inspired me to spend several months learning to program. I eventually realized that it isn't something I can do well learning part-time. Some things are best learned full-time and programming/web development is one of them.

Although I already have a college degree, I never really started a career because I had kids young. I wanted to announce that I have been going through Khan Academy to brush up on my math in preparation for a placement test at the local community college. They have an associates degree in a field that uses some programming as a tool (rather than the main part of the job). It has been very good for my mental health the last two weeks doing something toward getting a career going. I will start part-time in the fall and hope to do some internships or co-ops over the next few years. This time I will learn specific skills and be employable.

Although we don't need the money (and have good disability and life insurance on my DH), it makes me happy to feel like someday I might be able to support myself if need be. When I graduated from college, we were living in an area that didn't have a great job market. It really hurt my confidence to apply for dozens of jobs and only get a few interviews. I even applied to clean at a motel and never heard back.

Anyway, it feels good to have a goal for me, that has nothing to do with my kids education or extracurriculars. I feel like the last decade has been devoted almost completely to them (and trying to regain my lost health). Now I might get to be a person again.

So proud of you.

Your last lines I so get.  I am there right now.  Someday i hope to get back to me.

Congratulations on a new season in your life!

There's a time we need to be fully focused on our marriage and our kids. There's also a time we need to re-gain focus on ourselves as individuals within those relationships - whether it's for our own benefit, or the benefit OF those relationships, or both.

I retired almost 3 years ago. I feel like my life is going opposite of yours, so I'm happy to live vicariously through you and I hope you'll keep us updated as your move further towards your goal. :coolgleamA:

Aww, shucks. I'm blushing!!

I'm so happy for you!! And, this is a conversation us, ahem, wiser homeschool Moms need to have with the youth. We are working ourselves out of a job and we need to always be giving a little thought to the future.

Keep us updated, Hoppy!!

• Like 1

How was Khan academy at getting you ready? Did you do a pay service with them?

I am just going through the free math stuff. I was almost a math major in college, but it's been a long time, so I've forgotten a lot. But the basics of algebra are still somewhere in my brain.

They offer "mastery challenges" to let you skip stuff you already know. I finished arithmetic and pre-algebra last week. This week I will finish basic algebra. The placement test is just to make sure I don't need remedial math, since my SAT scores are too old.

The practice placement test wasn't hard, but I thought I'd keep going with Khan anyway. I thought relearning what I used to know would open up the possibility of tutoring to earn some extra money.

The nice thing is that I am at the gym for 12.5 hours per week anyway. Instead of frittering the time away, I am going to use it as my study time (Khan Academy for now, classes in the fall).

• Like 2

And, this is a conversation us, ahem, wiser homeschool Moms need to have with the youth. We are working ourselves out of a job and we need to always be giving a little thought to the future.

Yes. It is sad to read so many stories here of women struggling to begin or return to a career after 10-20 years out of the workforce. After reading so many of them, I decided I better get going and get a PT career going before the age discrimination kicks in.

• Like 1

Good for you!

There was a thread that kinda stuck with me recently about the same type of topic (started by MomatHWTK this May. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/606110-article-on-women-returning-to-work-after-break/). That thread has helped me in a couple of ways. Since then I have stumbled upon a place to volunteer doing something in the field I'm interested in (ESL). Hoping I can make time to continue to go.

Edited by heartlikealion