Menu

To teach or not to teach SOTW at the co-op

I have been asked to take over teaching SOTW 3 next year for the 3rd-6th graders at the local co-op, and I am feeling angsty about it.

Last year's instructor was well-intentioned but the kids found the class very boring. Most of the parents weren't making sure the chapters were read in advance, so she was mainly reading the chapter and having them do coloring and worksheets. My kids begged me to teach history myself at home this year and we were going to do American history to coincide with our travels.

I'm somewhat baffled that I've been asked to teach it as my strength is much more math and science, but the director insists I'm her first choice. Head-scratcher. If I were to take it on, I would want to make sure it was engaging, fun, and worthy, and I am having a hard time imagining how to accomplish that in one hour a week with 20+ kids who probably don't come prepared with the reading done.

Ideas? Experiences? How would you approach teaching it?

Well, I have no relevant experience. That said, I would make it as interactive as possible. Play the occasional related video, give points to people who have read our listened to the week's chapter (honor system). Other points for answering review questions for this and previous chapter. Spend class time on fun extras. Jeopardy-like game? Put together a newspaper? Or a radio report? I don't remember the specific times for that book. Spend points at a site stocked with, ah, well, details, details. Perhaps construct a timeline for the period so that at the end everyone has something to show, even if they never did a lick of outside work.

All this probably only works if you have a core group of participators.

Personally, I would spend most of the time doing projects from the activity guide, sticking mostly to active stuff. For example, from the first chapter, I'd pick the Spanish doubloons, Spanish treasure, and maybe the mine shaft one (if I could do it outdoors). As the kids do each activity, I'd say a few sentences about how it relates to the SOTW chapter. Some weeks you won't do all the activities planned, but the important thing is to keep the kids engaged, so they think of history as interesting. If kids haven't already read the SOTW section, fun activities might make them curious enough to start reading for the next time. At the very least, more of it will stick in their memory than just coloring.

I might allot a few minutes for kids to talk about books they've read on the topic, maybe bringing in examples (your own or from the library) for the first few sessions. If the kids just get glassy-eyed and don't start bringing in their own books, I'd drop that part of the schedule. It depends on the group of kids whether they'd enjoy it or not. It may help to bring in a book your kids found boring and say so. Kids that age appreciate honesty.

Now you've got me thinking about doing a SOTW co-op class...

Ruth

• Like 1

You know, SOTW1 and 3 are the most engaging of the series, and I think it would be fun to teach them.

If the kids are not doing the reading at home, I think I would focus on whetting their appetites for it with activities and references that point to the text.  Maybe they will get their parents to read it to them, or maybe to get the CD's and listen to them in the car or while they are doing something else.

I teach sotw at a co-op. The readings are supposed to be done at home. That happens with maybe half the kids.I try to switch it up a lot with how I present the information. I use videos/clips from YouTube and BrainPOP. Or sometimes I talk and show slides or read a great picture book. Then we have a project. This could be some sort of game or project. Mostly it is craft or art related. I have used the activity guide but I also check Pinterest/Google for lesson ideas.

We did this.  I talked and told the story as we did projects.  It was a lot of fun! 

ETA:  The one thing about co-op is you have to bring an angle that the child would not get at home.  Coloring sheets?  Meh.  Every parent has those.   If you're going to teach a class, USE the class setting to enhance it! 

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1