Menu

I found my next job.... hospital patient transport

Ottakee

I am at the hospital with 19dd today for her outpatient surgery. I have always liked medical stuff and though bout medical social work but I don't want to go back to school again.

I decided that hospital patient transport would be a great job for me. I would get lots of exercise walking, meet lots of people, low stress, no schooling, etc. Wonder if they are hiring.

• Like 13

I have a good friend who did this for a few years and she absolutely loved it. She enjoyed meeting so many different people, showing them kindness and support when they often needed it the most, and the exercise was an added bonus. She recently switched jobs because she needed more regular hours, but she definitely misses it.

• Like 1

This was my first job!  I did it from 16 to about 19 (when I moved into ER registration at the same hospital).  I loved it--a great, interesting job.  It paid a bit more than minimum wage at the time, which I was happy about.  Very low stress job, but I was able to see a lot of people and feel like I made a difference at the end of each day.  

• Like 3

I did this for 4 years through college. The pay was poor and it was physically taxing, but I LOVED it. I met so many interesting people, I loved being out and about around the hospital all day, I made friends with workers from so many different departments in various job roles or professions throughout the hospital, and there was no stress to take home (the job was done mentally and physically once you clocked out- no at home phone calls from the boss about not finishing something up.)

Edited by TX native
  • Like 1

Just think about the physical aspects!  I think it sounds great, too, though!  

Here is what an ad for this position at the Cleveland Clinic states: Physical Requirements: Heavy Work - Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Heavy Work.

Glad to hear so many people have done this

..and enjoyed it. The young man I spoke with today said he is in college to become a radiologist and his job jas lead to lots of job opportunities, getting. His name known , allowing him to learn a lot about various parts of the hospital, etc. He said he liked chatting with patients as well.