Menu

Need A Quirky Pitstop Around South Bend, Indiana

Lady Marmalade

Last year around this time you all were so wonderful in helping me plan a trip south through the country.  I need help again!

Monday we're driving to Sandusky via I-80, and I would like to take a little break around South Bend, Indiana.  We'll probably be needing lunch, but more I would like something to encourage us to walk around a bit.  A charming little park, war memorial/monument, waterfall/river lookout.  Nothing big and major- maybe spending an hour out of the car or so.  We don't really care to see Notre Dame or the Basillica...

It doesn't have to be specifically South Bend, but somewhere between Portage and South Bend along 80/90 would be wonderful!    

Any thoughts? We made some great memories on our trip last year, and I'd love to do the same this year.  

My mom grew up in south bend and we used to visit every summer. If you are stopping for lunch I would recommend Bonnie Doon's if they are still around. They are an old fashioned hamburger and ice cream restaurant. I am still nostalgic about the cherry ice cream sodas....never have found one half as good anywhere else!

Eta: for some outside time the sand dunes aren't too far away

Edited by Diane in CO
  • Like 1

Downtown south bend is kind of a mess right now with a street project that is taking one way streets and making them two way... The Mishawaka exit would be just a couple miles from the Grape Road area that has tons of food and shopping. There is a really nice river walk and park area closer to downtown Mishawaka. My family likes to park at Central Park on Mishawaka avenue and walk west along the river, cross one of the bridges (usually the one at Logan street) and come back on the other side of the river. If you do that loop its about a 3 mile walk but it's quite nice with lots of old rock structures that I remember playing on as a kid, Kamm island park, and the nice water features at Beutter park.

There is one Bonnie Doon left in south bend, the one in Mishawaka closed. I can't think of any restaurants that are close to the park, but there are a couple of mom and pop type places, or regular chain type restaurants on grape road or McKinley. If you need an amazing donut, rise and roll on Grape road has donuts commonly referred to as Amish Crack donuts :). They also have a little Amish cafe inside that's serves sandwiches and stuff. I'd suggest there for lunch and donuts, then head to the park. 😀

• Like 3

Downtown south bend is kind of a mess right now with a street project that is taking one way streets and making them two way... The Mishawaka exit would be just a couple miles from the Grape Road area that has tons of food and shopping. There is a really nice river walk and park area closer to downtown Mishawaka. My family likes to park at Central Park on Mishawaka avenue and walk west along the river, cross one of the bridges (usually the one at Logan street) and come back on the other side of the river. If you do that loop its about a 3 mile walk but it's quite nice with lots of old rock structures that I remember playing on as a kid, Kamm island park, and the nice water features at Beutter park.

There is one Bonnie Doon left in south bend, the one in Mishawaka closed. I can't think of any restaurants that are close to the park, but there are a couple of mom and pop type places, or regular chain type restaurants on grape road or McKinley. If you need an amazing donut, rise and roll on Grape road has donuts commonly referred to as Amish Crack donuts :). They also have a little Amish cafe inside that's serves sandwiches and stuff. I'd suggest there for lunch and donuts, then head to the park. 😀

I just looked up Rise'n Roll, and that looks perfect!  As does the suggestion to go walk along the river for a bit!  Actually, looking on the map the whole area looks like we could spend a day and have a good time.  

Thank you also for the notes about the construction in South Bend!  Worst case scenario I was thinking we'd just hop off the road and drive around a bit and find something.  Sounds like we should avoid SB if we can. 

• Like 1

The South Bend Chocolate Company offers factory tours.  Maybe too indoorsy for  your need, but might be nice if the weather is bad.

It might be too indoorsey if the weather is nice.   But chocolate?!

This is going on the list if we're driving in rain.  And we do drive back through on Saturday, so the return trip is a possibility too!

• Like 1

My mom grew up in south bend and we used to visit every summer. If you are stopping for lunch I would recommend Bonnie Doon's if they are still around. They are an old fashioned hamburger and ice cream restaurant. I am still nostalgic about the cherry ice cream sodas....never have found one half as good anywhere else!

Eta: for some outside time the sand dunes aren't too far away

Cherry ice cream soda!?  *swoon*   

Oh man, I just googled the shop, and not too far away is the Potowatomi Zoo!  That would be a fun pitstop idea as well!  Ice cream sodas and a zoo? That sounds like a nice afternoon.

Roadside America might have something listed.

How have I now known about this little gem!?  Seriously!  An RV Museum in Elkhart?  That is hilarious and totally the silly kind of thing we'd love to see.  Thank you for this! 

• Like 2

I think you are my new hero.  Roadside America is amazing!!

Yes, it's a great resource for all the quirky, off-the-path kind of places!

Many, many years ago, my mom, sister, cousin, & I stopped at a funky little tobacco museum in TN. It was tiny but we had a blast visiting it. (It has been closed for a long time now, though.)