Menu

Is this something that a personal trainer would be able to address?

Greta

I've recently started lifting weights, and I love, love, love it.  My two favorite exercises are squats and deadlifts, because they make me feel strong and alive and just generally awesome!  :D  

The problem is, after I do them, I get pain in my upper trapezius (where neck meets shoulder) and neck.  I am trying so hard to be careful and use really good form.  I am not putting the barbell on my neck at all, but on my upper back.  I do have bad posture ("forward head" position) which I am working on generally, and also particularly when I'm exercising: I am very careful to keep my head upright, my chest lifted, my shoulders back and down, etc. 

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I want to be able to continue doing these exercises.  I think they're very important.  My husband is my workout buddy and spotter, and he helps me a lot, but he doesn't see anything that I'm doing wrong either. 

Do you think a personal trainer might be able to help me figure this out?

Absolutely. Both my son and I did small group classes on weight training, and I actually bought him a month of one-on-one for Christmas.

Our gym has trainers available nearly all of the time for questions, and we've been able to resolve issues by asking for help. Get someone who is really, really experienced though. They do vary.

My favorite one is a middle-aged ex-Marine who knows all about working with injuries. DD's favorite is a local high school track coach who also works as a trainer there. You have to get someone who "gets" you.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

Be sure to look at the resumes of the trainers, not all of them are alike. Some are more interested in working with people that want to do marathons or bike races. Some are interested in kick boxing. Some are interested in weight lifting. Try to find one that matches what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you know the answer already and a trainer may have no idea what you can do differently. It sounds like you are already addressing your posture issues. How long have you been strength training? It took me over a year to stop having headaches from doing shoulder presses. I think it was totally posture issues as well. Just a possibility. I was a trainer before kids.

• Like 1

When looking through credentials, check for "functional training" or "corrective exercise".

Yes, those are the credentials our gym emphasizes. The owner's son has told me that he'd rather see that and at least 5 years of proven experience than a master's degree and no experience.

• Like 1

I thought about that, too, Carol.  A couple of times, I skipped the squats and deadlifts and instead did machines like leg press, hamstring curls, etc. instead.  It's true I didn't get the neck pain later.  But I also didn't feel like I got as good a workout.  Still, maybe I should do a mix of the two, or alternate the two, types of workouts so that I'm not in pain as often, at least!

Most people join a gym with high hopes, over do it, and never come back. Just take it easy. You should be doing one set of 10 easy to start and then gradually increase, to prevent injury. You can watch a you tube video on all exercises to make sure you are doing it correctly. Of course, if $ is no object go straight to a trainer!

Most people join a gym with high hopes, over do it, and never come back. Just take it easy. You should be doing one set of 10 easy to start and then gradually increase, to prevent injury. You can watch a you tube video on all exercises to make sure you are doing it correctly. Of course, if $ is no object go straight to a trainer!

Oh, I wish money were no object!   :D  That's why I asked here first instead of shelling out the cash.  I can afford it, but it "hurts" enough that I want to make sure it's justified.   :001_smile:

I started with barbell only (that thing weighs a ton*!) and didn't add any weight at all for several workouts.  Now I'm up to using the smallest plates, 5 and then 10 pounds each, for some, but not all, of the sets.  We usually do 5 sets of 10 on the squats, 3 sets of ten on the deadlifts -- my husband picked those numbers.  Does this sound reasonable?

* ok, it only weighs 45 pounds, but it feels like a ton!

Edited by Greta

I thought about that, too, Carol.  A couple of times, I skipped the squats and deadlifts and instead did machines like leg press, hamstring curls, etc. instead.  It's true I didn't get the neck pain later.  But I also didn't feel like I got as good a workout.  Still, maybe I should do a mix of the two, or alternate the two, types of workouts so that I'm not in pain as often, at least!

I'm just thinking that weight work is always a slow build.  You do some, you get stronger, you add weight.  In this case, you do some machine work, you get stronger, you add weight, you get stronger, you add more weight, you get stronger, THEN you switch to free weights.  It might be that your machine workout weight setting was too low for you to get a really good workout.

Also, in general the good books on weights I have seen ALL encourage people to learn the form very well with weights that are 'too low' and only then move into higher weights, taking great care to maintain that form.

• Like 1

I'm just thinking that weight work is always a slow build.  You do some, you get stronger, you add weight.  In this case, you do some machine work, you get stronger, you add weight, you get stronger, you add more weight, you get stronger, THEN you switch to free weights.  It might be that your machine workout weight setting was too low for you to get a really good workout.

Also, in general the good books on weights I have seen ALL encourage people to learn the form very well with weights that are 'too low' and only then move into higher weights, taking great care to maintain that form.

Ah, I get what you're saying.  I did start with bodyweight-only squats, then added some light weights from dumbbells, but I made the jump to the barbell pretty quickly, maybe too quickly.  I suppose a personal trainer might be able to help in this regard - help me figure out what kind of weight I really should be lifting.

• Like 1

That sounds like a lot to me. You really shouldn't be going beyond 3 sets, especially so soon after beginning. That many sets is really for an intense body builder. You should probably be focusing on strengthening your upper body first as well. The suggestion to do machines for awhile sounds good too. It doesn't mean you can't get there, but try to be more gradual about it.

That sounds like a lot to me. You really shouldn't be going beyond 3 sets, especially so soon after beginning. That many sets is really for an intense body builder. You should probably be focusing on strengthening your upper body first as well. The suggestion to do machines for awhile sounds good too. It doesn't mean you can't get there, but try to be more gradual about it.

To be honest, it sounds like a lot to me too!  :lol:  My husband is definitely of a "the more the better" type of mindset when it comes to all things exercise.  I'll tell him that I've been advised to cut back to three sets for awhile and see how it goes.  I imagine he'll say that I should increase the reps, then, to 12 or 15 instead of 10.  I'm guessing you would say otherwise?

Oh, and yes I am doing upper body stuff as well.  The pain *seems* to be coming from the squats and deadlifts, though I can't be 100% sure.

Girlsgonestrong.com has lots of information about lifting and you may find an article or video that addresses your specific concern. Definitely see a good trainer and maybe back down on the weight until you get this figured out. If you are in pain after lifting that is not ok. It's really, really hard to perfect your form by yourself-another person may see things that you are missing. Lifting weights is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time to see results and it is really important for your form to be flawless before you try anything really heavy. Don't give up! Being strong is awesome and the journey there is so rewarding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Girlsgonestrong.com has lots of information about lifting and you may find an article or video that addresses your specific concern. Definitely see a good trainer and maybe back down on the weight until you get this figured out. If you are in pain after lifting that is not ok. It's really, really hard to perfect your form by yourself-another person may see things that you are missing. Lifting weights is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time to see results and it is really important for your form to be flawless before you try anything really heavy. Don't give up! Being strong is awesome and the journey there is so rewarding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the encouragement!  :grouphug:  I have read and enjoyed a number of the articles (and videos) at GirlsGoneStrong, but I didn't think to look for something that might address this particular issue.  That's a great suggestion.

Perhaps you are not resting enough between days.

Good suggestion, but I don't know, I feel like I'm getting plenty of rest.  I do my "heavy weight" routine (with the squats and deadlifts and upper body stuff as well) twice a week.  Once a week I do a circuit training class that's much lighter weights with more reps (it's only a 40 minute class).  Three days a week I do some form of cardio.  And the 7th day is a rest day.  Does that sound reasonable?