Menu

bookkeeping question...sort of

all through grade school and mostly through middle school my kids mostly used consumable workbooks for their subjects...so I would take them apart before school...make up daily folders...they would hand those in, and I would grade them sometime during the day and they would make their corrections the next day and continue with their next folder.

Now that the kids are older and using mostly binders or in some cases workbooks that they don't want me to take apart...I am trying to figure out how to "collect and grade" their work.   If I only had one kid...it wouldn't be too bad...but with 3...a pile of binders and big books is a bit unruly.  

but I also don't really want to go chase the books down each day either.

SO.....I am thinking it's time for me to readjust my methods...but I am not sure how.

What do you all do??

thanks.

I'm not sure if this would work for you, but I have my oldest use a single subject spiral notebook for each subject. That way she can turn them in as needed for me to grade and it doesn't impact her doing other work the same way as if she used a single binder. The workbooks I just grade the same way without taking anything apart. TBH in most cases I grade at the end of the week with the exception of math and Latin which helps too.

High school age kids can self check daily work. I see no need to give grades for that; it needs to be done completely and correctly.

I grade only the occasional exam, and that is done on lose paper.

this is something I guess I never considered.  then you must not have them make corrections, yes?   

What do you all do??

My eldest mostly self-corrects her math. I do a periodic check (supposed to be 1/week, but sometimes stretches to 2/month) to make sure she's 'getting it.' She turns in any papers that she's been assigned to my turn-in box.

The next two, I just correct as we go -- grabbing two books/binders at a time. I try to get to it every night, but there are times when I miss a night & have to correct two days of math (or writing) at a time. The other stuff, we mostly do together or I check it once/week.

The youngest two, I'm with them as they do their work, so no need to check their work since I'm checking it as we go.

all through grade school and mostly through middle school my kids mostly used consumable workbooks for their subjects...so I would take them apart before school...make up daily folders...they would hand those in, and I would grade them sometime during the day and they would make their corrections the next day and continue with their next folder.

Now that the kids are older and using mostly binders or in some cases workbooks that they don't want me to take apart...I am trying to figure out how to "collect and grade" their work.   If I only had one kid...it wouldn't be too bad...but with 3...a pile of binders and big books is a bit unruly.  

but I also don't really want to go chase the books down each day either.

SO.....I am thinking it's time for me to readjust my methods...but I am not sure how.

What do you all do??

thanks.

Presumably the work done in the three-ring notebooks is on loose-leaf paper. I don't see why they couldn't take those papers out of their notebooks and put them into folders for you to grade/correct, after which you would put them in the folders and hand them back to the dc, who would file them in the appropriate notebook section.

this is something I guess I never considered.  then you must not have them make corrections, yes?   

Of course I have them make corrections. How else would they learn to do it correctly?

If they discover they worked a problem wrong, they redo it. If they have questions as to why they made a mistake, they ask me. Sometimes I check over DS's math to make sure he checked.

sorry...didn't mean to imply that you were not a good teacher or anything...i just know my kids...and if the correct answer was in front of them...and they were told to correct their papers...and then fix their mistakes....they would tend to be lazy...and just copy the correct answer and call it a day.   I guess, maybe, that is why I never thought of doing that for anything.   It's not that they go looking for the answer key to cheat...but why put in the work, if the answer is right there...kwim?

• Like 4

We use consumables for math, Latin and logic.  I check math and return for corrections. But I'm mean and only tell them how many they missed; they have to search for the mistakes themselves. It's made them more careful on the front end, which has saved ALL of us time. Latin we do together. Logic ... well, I do a light check every week or chapter or so LOL. I check a few answers to ensure we're on the right path, but frankly it's above my head and not all that interesting to me. 

I'm not great at keeping up with science and writing, so I outsource those. Writing is an online course. Science is through Homeschool Connections - we use a recorded class with teacher access (for an additional fee that is totally worth it to me). I just check in once a week or so to ensure we're running on schedule.

Literature I give "participation" grade for. We're big readers and we just discuss - no formal analysis or anything that can be graded. I just make the writing grade their overall Language Arts/English grade.

History and German/French are the only classes I actually GRADE myself. History we do a bunch of outlines (not graded) and open note tests (that's the incentive for good note taking).  We also do a paper each chapter, which I grade.  German and French I grade along side them because it's easier for me to explain it to them as I do.

We'll probably use Homeschool Connection for elective-required classes like Government and Health. They come with teacher keys and I'm okay with them self-grading those classes.

My kids each had a tote, and they put all of their books etc... in it each day for me to check. They had to turn it in by the table where I keep my binder and teacher box (with guides, answer keys etc...) I simply went through the stack and checked things. Pretty easy-peasy.

If I was busy, I would have them check their own work, but I usually preferred to discuss it with them. Since I don't really lecture like a classroom teacher would, I considered going over the work verbally to be part of my teaching style. It helped me see where they had gaps in understanding that I could help to fill in.

Edited by MerryAtHope