Menu

Converting old camcorder cassettes to DVDs?

Hoggirl

I have several old cassettes (marked 8mp) of videos that we took on our camcorder when ds was little. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get those converted to DVDs and/or some other digital form. A friend suggested a company called South Tree video, but some of the reviews are not very good. She was happy and felt like the price was excellent, however.

Any suggestions? There is a local camera shop that does this, but I think they are quite pricey. We have > a dozen. I want a good piece, but I also want reliability.

I think a ton of places do this. I want to say our local Walgreens even offers it. My mom had all of the films and videos from her childhood and mine converted to DVD many years ago, so I expect it even more common now. I would definitely try a local place that will handle them and not simply ship off to some place on the web though.

Don't convert to DVDs. DVD is a dying format. Better to convert them to a standard file format and store on a hard-drive.

Drives are really cheap now. You should be able to find a cheap digital capture card or box for your computer platform, especially cheap if all you need is standard definition.

Do it yourself.

Bill

• Like 1

We use Snazzi which isn't sold here. You can buy a covnvertor box to link your camcorder to your laptop/PC/Macintosh and has software to convert the video feed from your camcorder to mpeg4 format on your laptop. I don't know which brands are good though.

Legacy box was great! Pricey - especially to add the thumb drive option - but I was able to just box it all up and send it off and not have to deal with converting it myself and cussing because something wasn't hooked up or transferring correctly or whatever. Just had to wait for it to come back in the mail. Sooòooo worth it!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Don't convert to DVDs. DVD is a dying format. Better to convert them to a standard file format and store on a hard-drive.

Drives are really cheap now. You should be able to find a cheap digital capture card or box for your computer platform, especially cheap if all you need is standard definition.

Do it yourself.

Bill

That helps a lot! Burning the dvds (and having them actually play) has scared me from carrying this out . I have the little box to play VHS to a macbook pro (older). I still need to get a 8mm camcorder from someone for those... but my technical skills are lacking... I can keep files on the computer, a hard drive, and/or flash drive, and would feel better to have a flash drive as back up. I've heard to use iMovie (eeks), are there options to "save files as" if so, what do I pick?

Any links, help what to do when it lands in the computer would be greatly appreciated. Simple to me editing options would be even better. Adding: I've been stuck on dvd option because of needing to "upconvert" to HD viewing on flat screen tv. What will a flash do if viewed there?

Edited by Susan C.