Menu

1 Week before PSAT - how should I schedule his studying

My son, 10th grade, will take the PSAT for the first time. We haven't done much in the way of studying for it because it isn't the one that really counts. However, I want him to do some studying and have had him take a couple of practice SAT section tests. He's great on the math, but the vocabulary is really weak. He does have standardized test experience (taking the ACT at our local university at the end of 8th - scored very well).

Here's what I have: The PSAT folks send out a workbook that the student can work through - basically a practice test. I have Rocket Review Revolution (from last year) for the SAT and PSAT. Going through RRR will take a lot more time than the practice booklet, but we are on fall break and he doesn't mind doing a little work each day.

So, how would we best maximize his time? Using RRR or doing the practice, then using RRR as we have time? I don't want him to totally use up his fall break with studying, either.

Would love some ideas here :001_smile:

I took a different approach last year when my dd was a sophomore. Since it didn't "count" I wanted her to take it "cold" so we could determine her natural weak/strong spots. She did very well on the CR and writing sections, and pretty good on the math parts. But this year - the one that counts - she's studied Rocket Review and done some practice tests, with the emphasis being on the math part. She took a math practice yesterday and got them all right ;)

If you get a great score on the PSAT, it enters you into competition for all kinds of merit based scholarships that are not available on any other basis. Also, the college of your choice is notified, and if they see your excellent score, they get very interested in you. They might even send you a special, personal letter begging you to go ahead and apply there because you look like such a good prospect.

Oh, we're very serious about it. But since this is the practice (10th grade) test, we're not working as aggressively as we would if he shows he is in shooting range for the NM. We may adjust our study schedule next year based on how he performs this year. I'm hoping to use this practice test to help us know where to focus our studying next year.

In 10th, ds took it cold so I could see where he needed work. We are now fully prepared for the exam in 11th. I support this strategy particularly since it is beneficial to take more time than a week to "study". As long as he is familiar with the format of the test, that should be enough for 10th in my opinion....

No need to fret when there is plenty of time for that next year!!

Mary

I also have a 10th grader who is taking the PSAT next week for the first time. Like the OP, I'm doing it as a practice, and to get a feel if he's close enough to NM scores to make a big push for it next year.

I've thought of going 'cold' so as to see where his natural strengths are, but I'm concerned that if he were entirely unpreprepared, he might find it so difficult and/or intimidating that it would affect his attitude and thus his performance next year.

Because of that, I've decided to work through the practice test once... just so he is a little more comfortable in what will probably be an uncomfortable situation anyway (large public high school environment with which he is totally unfamiliar...)

Thanks to the OP for the question and all the answers. We're right there with ya!

Ohhh...if only my son scores 30 points better! He'd be NM for sure. His pre-PSAT practice test was a 175. Everything he missed was labeled "hard".

He's having a bit of difficulty knowing whether to skip a question or make a "good" guess. Any ideas of how to deal with this?

Cynthia,

Your original post indicated that your son was in 10th grade. Is that correct? The NM Scholarship only counts for those taking the test in 11th grade. You probably knew this but just wanted to clarify in case your son was thinking otherwise....

M