Menu

Learning How to Learn MOOC

Sharing a class DS13 and I are both taking on Coursera: Learning How to Learn

https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

I am really enjoying it and learning a lot of things that I can talk about with ds. If you don't finish in time, you can enroll in the next session and it transfers your quizzes. It runs all the time it seems. The class seems like it would be excellent for middle schoolers and up. I especially like that they stress you don't have to be born a genius in something to pursue it, just need passion and persistence.

• Like 1

I have been eyeing this course, planning to take it this summer. Do you know when the next start date will be? I looked but it didn't show. I Know the current session started on the 6th. Would it work if we started this week or would it be too hard to catch up?

• Like 1

I have been eyeing this course, planning to take it this summer. Do you know when the next start date will be? I looked but it didn't show. I Know the current session started on the 6th. Would it work if we started this week or would it be too hard to catch up?

A session just started today on the 13th.  I signed up yesterday and it was really already open even though it said "preview".   It would be very easy to catch up on this course if you are not the extra optional readings or essays.   Just to let you know, it's more of a theory class so far. In other words, the psychology of how to learn. So far, (after doing week 1 yesterday and week 2 today) it is not a "study skills course".  But more of things like our brain has different ways to process. we need sleep.  slow and steady in slow chunks is better than cram.  you can learn new things.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing! I wonder if anyone is able to compare this to the Superstar Student course from TGC?

I think it's apples and oranges.    I'm in the current session and have done week 1 and week 2 of Learning How to Learn.   Both my oldest and middle have watched TGC dvd.

Learning How to Learn is theory and psychology of how to learn. In my opinion it's enjoyable to listen to.  academic workshop info on the theory of how we learn. After finishing 2 week we've heard "learn things in small chunks and practice them often."  get some sleep. don't be stressed. focus for a fixed time. take a break.  that's the practical take away in the mix of lots of theory.  (edit: there is more than that in take away for skills, but that is representative)

My college daughter was watching it with me yesterday and asked if middle sister was taking it for prep for CLEP psychology test or something.  lots of psych 101 stuff about brain.

Superstar Student is:  hey middle schooler wake up and learn how to study. (application) geared to be sillier for the suggested age group. seemed to have more application.  not as much theory.  more of you can do this, and here try this.   But much more of a practical side of it with a little bit of theory in there.

just my opinion so far.

(edit to update: I woke up early today and watched the optional interviews.  so far, those have a lot of person to person encouragement style of information that anything people have become "experts" didn't do it overnight. that's good for our children to hear from others.  some interviews still tend toward lots of academic talk.  others less so. but still, I see this as an academic class, not a practical skills course. both are important)

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 4

A session just started today on the 13th. I signed up yesterday and it was really already open even though it said "preview". It would be very easy to catch up on this course if you are not the extra optional readings or essays. Just to let you know, it's more of a theory class so far. In other words, the psychology of how to learn. So far, (after doing week 1 yesterday and week 2 today) it is not a "study skills course". But more of things like our brain has different ways to process. we need sleep. slow and steady in slow chunks is better than cram. you can learn new things.

Planning to sign up today!

I think it's apples and oranges.    I'm in the current session and have done week 1 and week 2 of Learning How to Learn.   Both my oldest and middle have watched TGC dvd.

Learning How to Learn is theory and psychology of how to learn. In my opinion it's enjoyable to listen to.  academic workshop info on the theory of how we learn. After finishing 2 week we've heard "learn things in small chunks and practice them often."  get some sleep. don't be stressed. focus for a fixed time. take a break.  that's the practical take away in the mix of lots of theory.  (edit: there is more than that in take away for skills, but that is representative)

My college daughter was watching it with me yesterday and asked if middle sister was taking it for prep for CLEP psychology test or something.  lots of psych 101 stuff about brain.

Superstar Student is:  hey middle schooler wake up and learn how to study. (application) geared to be sillier for the suggested age group. seemed to have more application.  not as much theory.  more of you can do this, and here try this.   But much more of a practical side of it with a little bit of theory in there.

just my opinion so far.

(edit to update: I woke up early today and watched the optional interviews.  so far, those have a lot of person to person encouragement style of information that anything people have become "experts" didn't do it overnight. that's good for our children to hear from others.  some interviews still tend toward lots of academic talk.  others less so. but still, I see this as an academic class, not a practical skills course. both are important)

Agreed, they are complementary and not redundant.  Psychology/cognitive science of learning vs. study skills.  Dd did them both, and benefited from both of them. They both have many practical tips that you can apply right away, but they are in overlapping, but different domains.

• Like 3

It's pretty low key. I ended up not having time to finish and you can transfer your quizzes to the next session. I'm not sure but I think it might be constantly enrolling.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I am going through all my Content I Follow to get organized and found this :-). 

For those who took this class, did you do the free/audit option?  I was planning to just go through the course material together with my boys (rising 7th graders).  Should I have us all do it separately?

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

I know this is an old thread, but I am going through all my Content I Follow to get organized and found this :-). 

For those who took this class, did you do the free/audit option?  I was planning to just go through the course material together with my boys (rising 7th graders).  Should I have us all do it separately?

If you mean buying the certificate, I never do that. You won't need that. I think the quizzes are graded automatically. I think it is easy enough to do together.

• Like 1

If you mean buying the certificate, I never do that. You won't need that. I think the quizzes are graded automatically. I think it is easy enough to do together.

No, not for the certificate.  Just wondering if it was something we could go through together or is it better for my boys to go through it on their own :-).  Thanks so much!