Menu

hypothyroid in children?

gardenmom5

anyone have experience?

I'm reading sttm and seeing the symptoms list and thinking maybe I should have dudeling tested.  I do have a friend whose dd was put on thyroid rx when she was 7. (it revealed a far more serious health problem.)

so - stories?

I had my really small daughter tested as one of the big symptoms w/ kids is small size she had picture perfect labs though. It took me a bit to convince him to even test and I'm not even sure where we'd go from there as I don't terribly trust mainstream endos and don't use one myself, although it makes me nervous not to with a kids(but then again I'm not that versed on hypo in kids). I have Hashi's as does my Mom and so does dh's sister and Mom so it is certainly on my radar, I'd like to get all my kids tested just to make sure but then again that seems excessive. FWIW there is a STTM FTPO Thyroid group specifically for kids on FB, I know their other groups are a great source of info.

• Like 1

I had my really small daughter tested as one of the big symptoms w/ kids is small size she had picture perfect labs though. It took me a bit to convince him to even test and I'm not even sure where we'd go from there as I don't terribly trust mainstream endos and don't use one myself, although it makes me nervous not to with a kids(but then again I'm not that versed on hypo in kids). I have Hashi's as does my Mom and so does dh's sister and Mom so it is certainly on my radar, I'd like to get all my kids tested just to make sure but then again that seems excessive. FWIW there is a STTM FTPO Thyroid group specifically for kids on FB, I know their other groups are a great source of info.

did she have her pituitary tested? 

I've a friend who really had to push to get her adopted son's growth hormone level (made by the pituitary) tested because he was growing.  he now has daily injections of hgh.

My son was diagnosed hypo @ about 1 1/2 or 2 years old. He takes a daily dose of levothyroxine. His was discovered in the midst of a search to discover why he was not gaining weight, gaining little in height and had perpetually runny stool. He is growing quite well now. He is still very skinny and does get extra calories (a peanut butter banana smoothie at bedtime).

We have his levels tested every 6 months and his has remained very stable on his dose of medication.

I was diagnosed when I was 12. I had just had a physical the week before and passed it. My grandma came out for a visit and was shocked at the size of my goiter. My mom took me back to the same Dr and he tested me and than apologized profusely for missing it the week before. Looking back at pictures, I had a noticeable goiter by age 9.

My other symptoms (that I can remember) when diagnosed: I was tiny, like wearing size8 girl's clothes. I was tired a lot. I was constantly being accused of being lazy. The heat killed me. No sign of puberty starting.

I'm sure there were others but that is what I remember(this was thirty years ago). If you think Dudeling could have it, I'd insist on having him tested.

Good luck!

Ps. I was tiny in stature and weight. I want to emphasize that in children, one does not have to be overweight to be hypothyroid.

Edited by Gisel_le