Menu

lauguage 'credit' for classes taken in Jr High?

AEC

DD12 (7th grade) has probably the following for next year:

Geom/Alg2 (AoPS)

Chem (Chang, General Chem)

English (something)

History (SOTW 4 + stuff)

German (OSU)

math and science I'm not worried about HS credit for, because I assume she'll continue on.  What about language - she's currently excited about German, but it's totally plausible she does 2 years and then decides she's had enough.

She'll have had 2 years of HS-level german, but taken during 7th/8th grade.

How does that work out for college admin, most of which require 2 years of a foreign language??  If she took the SAT subject test, say...would that suffice?  Is that reasonable to take after only 2 years of the language?

Most of the selective universities still want to see foreign language done during high school so she can take German 1,2 in middle school and continue on with 3,4 in high school.

She will get credit for all 4 but she has to do some in high school.

Every school is different so you may want to contact some schools and see what they prefer.

Most kids that take high school level math in middle school continue on and take 4 years of math in high school.

She'd most likely have to pick up a different language in high school if she stops German after 8th grade.

We have seen explicitly on various college websites that foreign language classes taken before 9th grade do not count-----if a kid has French 1 and 2 in middle school, they would need to take 3 and 4 in high school to get in the minimum of 2 required years (my nephew is in this exact position).

As always, check possible college websites lol (though you have plenty of time for requirements to change for her!)

I haven't had a kid take a language subject test, but I believe that you need more than 2 years of study to be successful. She'd have to be at the level of reading passages from literature.

We have seen explicitly on various college websites that foreign language classes taken before 9th grade do not count

[...]

I haven't had a kid take a language subject test, but I believe that you need more than 2 years of study to be successful.

thanks.

I do not know if there is a formal language test for German. It is one of the few languages my son is not interested it (it is also the one I took in high school, go figure).

He is beginning high school Latin next year in 7th, but has had quite a bit so far. They have specified that he might jump a level into Latin 2 if it looks like he would be better suited. I am concerned about the online interface and outsourced class, not content, so he was signed up for Latin 1. Anyway, if that happens, he will be at Latin 3 in 8 and AP in 9th. Only one credit, though multiple years. It has been suggested that he do the AP test to get the credit even though he was younger than high school. This does not get him out of the foreign language requirements, but it at least gives him credit for it.

He will need to continue with his Spanish and Japanese in high school to meet admissions requirements.

Math seems to be the one thing that has a destination (ie, Calculus) where finishing it early is ok.   I'm not sure how much colleges would require extra math beyond Calculus if someone finished it in 9th or 10th grade especially if their school didn't offer it.

Definitely agree that the language requirement depends on the college.  A tech school might not care but a liberal arts school might want more. 

Math seems to be the one thing that has a destination (ie, Calculus) where finishing it early is ok.   I'm not sure how much colleges would require extra math beyond Calculus if someone finished it in 9th or 10th grade especially if their school didn't offer it.

I don't think so... most schools I've seen want 4 years of math in high school, even if the student starts out advanced and 'runs out' of courses at the high school.  Skipping a year or more of math would seem even less recommended for an advanced student than one who was less advanced and wasn't planning on continuing with math in college...

I do not know if there is a formal language test for German. It is one of the few languages my son is not interested it (it is also the one I took in high school, go figure). 

There is an SAT2 for German (regular and with Listening), as well as a CLEP, and of course the AP.  But I don't think two years of study would be enough to prepare for any of those tests.

There are also the AATG German tests which are available at levels 1/2/3/4 (the German equivalent of the National ____ Exams), but I don't think colleges pay much attention to those.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

I don't think so... most schools I've seen want 4 years of math in high school, even if the student starts out advanced and 'runs out' of courses at the high school.  Skipping a year or more of math would seem even less recommended for an advanced student than one who was less advanced and wasn't planning on continuing with math in college...

I would NOT recommend skipping several years of math.  Math was my "thing".  I had an opportunity to work at my own pace in 5th grade (with a fellow student who was just as fast and adept at math as I was -- so some friendly competition), and I got through every bit of math the teacher sent my way. To the point where I was bored and learned nothing new in math in 6th and 7th grades. FINALLY, I was able to take Algebra I in 8th grade; I took Geometry in summer school, and went straight through to Calculus BC in 11th grade. My parents could not afford the college classes (Texas A&M) so that tapped out how much math I could do. I had no math in 12th grade and compounded the problem by choosing not to take math my first semester in college.  Even as a strong math student who really enjoyed it, this was a BIG mistake.  I had gotten a 5 on the AP Calculus BC test so I went into the third Calculus class in a Engineering degree program -- and I struggled. Ended up with a C for the semester. My first C ever in math.  I needed to, at the least, have backed up and taken an easier math class after having all the time off rather than forging right ahead.

Edited by vonfirmath