Menu

CAT test - Accurate? Need input, tests came higher than his IQ

If you have used CAT test from Christian Liberty press, do you find it to be accurate to reflect the level on your student's performance? My rising 6th grader just tested today and got surprisingly high results, even in reading comprehension and vocabulary,which he struggles with. He also struggles with Math concepts,critical thinking\ reasoning,yet he scored at 8.1 (87%) and 8.8 in computation (95%). In spelling he scored 11.0 (96%) and language 13.1 (98%) . He has speech and language delay, mild autism,and his IQ last year was only 73.

Are CAT tests too easy,or did we work too hard this year? 

Aren't the norms from 1970 on that?  If so, that would at least partially explain the score discrepancy.  Also, do you think that the IQ score was accurate?  Could it have been an underestimate of his abilities?  If so, you may also be seeing his true abilities coming through.  Or it could be that he has made a lot of progress in the past year (my son's IQ went up by 40 points after five years of remediation). 

I thought the questions were easy for a rising 6th grader. I think his IQ might be a little bit higher, but not a lot since he does struggle with reasoning, social and self-care skills, language delay,etc.

I would love to hear how your son's IQ has improved if you'd care to share. You may pm if you want. I would love to hear what kind of materials you used for remediation,especially for math and reading comprehension. We use both Singapore (just finished 5A) for concepts,and CLE for drill and computation. For reading and vocabulary I'm totally lost! He has troubles especially with inferences , but he can read the words very well.

Do you know about the Flynn effect (for IQ)? I don't know how that would compare with taking the 1970s CAT now, since only some areas of IQ are higher now than then (mostly abstract reasoning - which wouldn't make people better at, e.g. spelling or anything, and the CAT is mostly an achievement test - even has it in the name, but anyhow - I'd suggest giving him a 21st century CAT next time).

I don't know about EKS, but my son's IQ went up 25-30 points between ages 4 and 7. IQ tests have lesser validity before about age 8, so I don't think you can expect much improvement in IQ in a rising 6th grader (that said, they can still learn a lot, of course). Now, because of the Flynn effect, if you have your kid take an older IQ test, the kid will likely score higher than on a newly normed IQ test.