Menu

How do you organize your child's writing products?

What I mean by "products" is outlines, drafts, and final drafts. Do you keep them all? If so, how do you organize them? By project (outlines, drafts, and final for the same project all kept together) or by product (all outlines kept together, all drafts kept together, all final drafts kept together), or by something else?

We currently use the "randomly shove into a binder method", but the disorganization is getting to us.

What I mean by "products" is outlines, drafts, and final drafts. Do you keep them all? If so, how do you organize them? By project (outlines, drafts, and final for the same project all kept together) or by product (all outlines kept together, all drafts kept together, all final drafts kept together), or by something else?

We currently use the "randomly shove into a binder method", but the disorganization is getting to us.

I just keep final projects. Some years I make a nice notebook and some years I shove them in a folder.

I three hole punch and staple everything together backwards from the order it was written. The final draft is on the top, rough draft next, then the outline, and finally any research notes or mind mapping. Then I stick it in a binder. The stapled packet of papers makes organizing easier for me.

• Like 3

I three hole punch and staple everything together backwards from the order it was written. The final draft is on the top, rough draft next, then the outline, and finally any research notes or mind mapping. Then I stick it in a binder. The stapled packet of papers makes organizing easier for me.

This is what I would do if I were organized in any way, shape, or form.  I think there's a lot of value in terms of judging progress over the years by looking at projects form start to finish.  

We just toss "prep" work like outlines, notes, and rough drafts.  Final drafts are written into the composition notebooks that contain all the notebooking we do for all subjects.  Composition notebooks are easy to save because they take up very little room and are so compact.  These notebooks will be something they (and I) enjoy looking back at forever.

My kids type so their file names for writing assignments have "name of work version/draft no" as they submit electronically to their teacher.

So something like:

Creative Essay Vacation Outline

Creative Essay Vacation 1st draft

Creative Essay Vacation 2nd draft

Creative Essay Vacation Final

This is exactly what I do.