Menu

Coalition or Common Application?

I have not done any research yet and am debating between using the Coalition or using the Common App for my 2017 kiddo.  Assuming the college accepts both (which is the case with my son) what are the pros/cons (if any) with the two options?

I have already been through this process once using the Common App.  I had technical frustrations with the CA, but like the pain of childbirth, I can no longer recall what those frustrations were. 

Anyone else debating between the two options and able to share their thoughts?

• Like 1

I think you have to wait to see wha the Coalition App looks like when it opens. Right now I think only the locker is available.

I'm tempted to stay with the CA because I already know the pathway to use it to communicate what I need to say in my role as a homeschool counselor.

Coalition might be a pleasant surprise of an online system that rolls out without a glitch. My hunch is that they won't have given much thought to what homeschoolers need access to.

• Like 3

One of the school's on dd's list will only be using the Coalition app this year. I am displeased.

That is frustrating.  One of the points on the FAQ was that there would not be an admissions advantage given to students who used the Coalition application instead of the Common App.  Of course if they are only accepting the Coalition app, there isn't an advantage is there - there is just the one option.  

Which school is this?  Were they on CA before or the the Coalition app replacing their internal application?

Which school is this?  Were they on CA before or the the Coalition app replacing their internal application?

The schools on the "Coalition exclusive" list that I've seen are the universities of Florida, Maryland, and Washington.

Michigan state announced as "Coalition exclusive" then announced "delaying a year to implement the Coalition app." So they are accepting their old app this year, but that may change in the future.

That is frustrating.  One of the points on the FAQ was that there would not be an admissions advantage given to students who used the Coalition application instead of the Common App.  Of course if they are only accepting the Coalition app, there isn't an advantage is there - there is just the one option.  

The schools on the "Coalition exclusive" list that I've seen are the universities of Florida, Maryland, and Washington.

Michigan state announced as "Coalition exclusive" then announced "delaying a year to implement the Coalition app." So they are accepting their old app this year, but that may change in the future.

It's Maryland (College Park). I believe they have had their own app up to this point.

I think the opportunity to upload a portfolio of work could be a good option for homeschoolers and for bright students with LDs (or even just test anxiety) whose test scores don't reflect their true abilities.

With the current system, test scores tend to be weighted much more heavily for homeschoolers, so the ability to back up homeschool grades with essays, lab reports, and creative projects could provide options for validation that are more in sync with many homeschoolers' philosophies, versus trying to jump through the standard hoops with APs and SAT2s. And now that the SAT writing component is optional, I think it would be great if students could submit real academic writing samples in lieu of the ACT/SAT essays, which are not very reflective of actual research and writing skills. 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1