Menu

Placement tests, CLEP and credits

My oldest took the placement tests for the local cc and placed in second year, second semester Spanish. Should I have her take the CLEP and earn credit for the first part of Spanish? The cc will accept CLEP, but I'm thinking more of what I should put on her high school transcript to show level. She hasn't done any Spanish "work" the past two years that could be counted, other than read.

You should first ask at the CC whether they can give her credit by examination for Spanish 1.

My DD placed into French 2, and at the end of the semester the prof awarded her credit by exam for French 1 for demonstrated proficiency at that level.

On the high school transcript, I'd list "Spanish 1", since obviously the placement test verified that she is at that level

• Like 2

Hi, Angie. We are a bilingual household, so used a mix of WTM ideas in Spanish, and curriculum geared to native Spanish speakers. Sorry, I'm no help!

See, the placement test will only say what level she can enroll in, not give credit for the classes she'd be skipping, which is why I asked.

So I looked up credit by exam on the website, and CLEP is one of them. I think I'll take the above advice though and have her do the one class,and award credit retroactively. Isn't each college semester worth a year of high school?

Thanks!

See, the placement test will only say what level she can enroll in, not give credit for the classes she'd be skipping, which is why I asked.

So I looked up credit by exam on the website, and CLEP is one of them. I think I'll take the above advice though and have her do the one class,and award credit retroactively. Isn't each college semester worth a year of high school?

If it is just about the high school credit, it's your homeschool and you can choose to award credit for Spanish 1 right now. You don't need a test or class in order to do that.

• Like 4

If it is just about the high school credit, it's your homeschool and you can choose to award credit for Spanish 1 right now. You don't need a test or class in order to do that.

Dd is very happy to hear this. :D She has enough on her plate and is ready to be done with Spanish. 

If this is truly just about being done with Spanish except at home and getting some documentation for the transcript, you could try the CLEP exam simply to see if her score is high enough to be accepted as 2 years of college credit. Dd received a high enough score on both German and French to receive 2 years of credit, 12 credits each at some schools. I had already given her transcript credit for high school but she has been able to use some of the credits for college.

Totally agree with pp, just give Spanish 1 credit since she has tested into the second class.

• Like 1

Totally agree with pp, just give Spanish 1 credit since she has tested into the second class.

Shouldn't she get hs credit for Spanish 1, 2 and 3 if she's placed into the 4th semester of college Spanish?

Dd just finished up the 3rd and 4th semesters of German at the CC, and I'm giving her hs credit for 1 and 2 as well.  She was taking German at  Sat School for years, but I'm just combining it all into what makes sense considering where she placed and what she completed at the CC.

• Like 1