Menu

Name that Curriclum

I am looking for a writing program that assumes the child has had NO instruction and takes them through middle school level or higher skills.

Would Jensen's Format Writing do this? This is for my 12yr old.

but of course, which one will work for you and your DC is unpredictable!

Writing Strands goes through high school

Any of the standard writing/grammar programs, such as Shurley, Rod & Staff, Voyages in English, all the other textbook-type programs I"m forgetting.

I'm waiting for an order from Rainbow Resource, containing the 5th grade level of Stack the Deck writing program. It goes from K - 12. Obviously I don't know how it's going to work out yet, but it looks good. They do have a website, http://www.stackthedeck.com, as well as samples on Rainbow's site.

IEW, as others have mentioned. I just sold mine, because I couldn't bear watching those DVD's, and DS did not respond well to finding main ideas in other writing and then paraphrasing.

Hmmm, I don't think the caffeine is fully in my system yet, because I know there are more, but just can't think right now!

Michelle T

I have found Writing Strands to be that way. We started in book 3. If you really have absolutely no ability to even write a simple sentence then I would do the first week or two over and over. I think he does a wonderful job of the basic roots of building a sentence. Then he uses those same lessons teaching building a paragraph.

I've always wondered about WS. We're using Bob Jones English (just the writing portions) and so far so good, but if I ever jump ship I'll probably give WS a try.

We are loving Writing Strands here. I'm a natural writer, but writing has been the hardest subject by far to teach. I've never, never been able to teach programs that expect a student to imitate someone else's writing. (ducking flames here ... I know it's the classical way but still ....) I also don't like programs that teach by giving you a list of what not to do :eek:

WS gets plenty of bad press, so it seems that people either love it or hate it. SWB recommended WS as the primary writing program in the first edition of TWTM. It made the second edition, too, side by side with IEW (Institute Excellence in Writing) and the Wordsmith series.

I went with WS to start because it was was a non-expensive choice ($13.60 new at Amazon), and if it didn't work I could save for one of the pricier alternatives. Happily, it was the right mix of instruction vs. freedom for our needs.

Jump In is fantastic!!

I cant say enough good things about this program!! I too cannot afford IEW so I hear what you are saying. I have found the best price for Jump In to be at cbd.

My 4th grader is using Ignite Your Writing. That is also excellent (in my humble opinion) and multilevel.

I like Jensen's. We have it and do use it. But, Jump In is much easier for me to teach and dd to use.

One thing about Jump in- it is out out by Apologia, so it is from a Christian POV. I am not sure if that would be an issue for you, but I did want to go ahead and mention it.

I really like how they take baby steps through the writing process. We need a lot of hand holding here. Then, I did just get a copy of WWE, and found out that at this age he should not be coming up with his own ideas yet, still just using non fiction and modeling others. That explains so much.

I'm waiting for an order from Rainbow Resource, containing the 5th grade level of Stack the Deck writing program. It goes from K - 12. Obviously I don't know how it's going to work out yet, but it looks good. They do have a website, http://www.stackthedeck.com, as well as samples on Rainbow's site.

Michelle T.,

I would love to hear an update in a few weeks/months to let us know what you think of Stack the Deck then.

Michele

• 3 weeks later...