Menu

Please help plan high school STEM courses..

I did a little reading of old posts but I still have questions.  My son has always loved astronomy and has an interest in chemistry and physics, plus he "gets" math easily.   He does not like biology.  Next year, for 7th grade, I was planning a year of astronomy just for fun, using Signs and Seasons and then another year using Conceptual Physics.  He didn't do general science in 5th so maybe we should do that for 7th instead.  How does our sequence look, or would you change courses or the order of courses?  Should we wait and do astronomy in high school to fill 11th grade, or what should we do for science that year?  Also, outsourcing will probably be needed at some point, especially for physics and higher level maths, if you have any recommendations for online courses.  Science is not my thing but I'm learning along side him right now.  Luckily he has an older brother who will be taking physics in public school next year so he might be able to help once we get there.   

6th-did Rainbow Science, year 1

7th-astronomy (should we move this to 11th and do general science?)

8th-Conceptual Physics

9th-biology 

10th-chemistry (Spectrum--will that be enough?)

11th-?
12th-physics (outsource with what?)

Math

6th--MM 6

7th--AOPS prealgebra (going to give it a shot)

8th--algebra  (on track to take calc. in 12th)

I did a little reading of old posts but I still have questions.  My son has always loved astronomy and has an interest in chemistry and physics, plus he "gets" math easily.   He does not like biology.  Next year, for 7th grade, I was planning a year of astronomy just for fun, using Signs and Seasons and then another year using Conceptual Physics.  He didn't do general science in 5th so maybe we should do that for 7th instead.  How does our sequence look, or would you change courses or the order of courses?  Should we wait and do astronomy in high school to fill 11th grade, or what should we do for science that year?  Also, outsourcing will probably be needed at some point, especially for physics and higher level maths, if you have any recommendations for online courses.  Science is not my thing but I'm learning along side him right now.  Luckily he has an older brother who will be taking physics in public school next year so he might be able to help once we get there.   

6th-did Rainbow Science, year 1

7th-astronomy (should we move this to 11th and do general science?)

8th-Conceptual Physics

9th-biology 

10th-chemistry (Spectrum--will that be enough?)

11th-?

12th-physics (outsource with what?)

Math

6th--MM 6

7th--AOPS prealgebra (going to give it a shot)

8th--algebra  (on track to take calc. in 12th)

We are using MM now for our younger two.  For our oldest ds who is STEM directed, we used a combo of TabletClass and AoPS for Pre-A.  Then AoPS Intro to Algebra.  After that, I realized it was time for us to outsource and it was a fantastic decision.  He attended Wilson Hill Academy for Geometry and Algebra II which exceeded our expectations.  For math more than any other subject, you must tailor it to the child's abilities and learning style.  While AoPS works great some, it is not a good fit for many others including STEM students.  So, you simply need to see if it will work through testing the waters.  They offer samples and 'free' video instruction which are some of the best I've found online.  For our middle dd, I've decided to outsource Pre-A using Derek Owens as AoPS and TC would not be a good fit for her.  Derek Owens also teaches Physics along with math through AP Calculus.  Our son will be taking Pre-Calc with him next year.

For 9th grade science, ds took a Physics first approach attending Clover Creek Science taught by our own forum member, Jetta.  If you can get in, this is an excellent option.  Next year in 10th, he will be taking Chemistry at our local CC as a dual enrollment student.  We plan to utilize the CC for more courses in 11th & 12th grade including computer science.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 5

Thank you for your response, Derek.  That gives me some things to think about.  I forgot that he could do dual enrollment at the CC so that is another option.  For AOPS, I had him do the first sample chapter to get his opinion and he said he preferred it over MM so I decided to give it a shot.  I prefer MM because the examples make it easy for me to help him if he has any trouble but he doesn't like it at all.  Saving Wilson Hill Academy for future reference. 

I don't think astronomy is a bad idea at all, but I do think some exposure to chemistry in middle school is helpful. I think doing signs and seasons with a brief middle school chemistry (acs has a free 8-10 week curriculum; plan it at times of the year when you historically have bad weather) would be pretty reasonable for 7th grade. I think general science would be pretty repetitive given as you just did Rainbow I and you plan to do physics next.

I actually think that leaving 11th unplanned until you get closer is a good idea. You've got bio/chem planned so he's set for most colleges, and he might develop a sudden interest in something when you'll be happy to have that slack.

• Like 2

I should have bought those chemistry dvd's I debated about at the homeschool store the other day!  Rainbow has a chemistry section that we did that I guess would be an introduction.  I will check out the free chemistry curriculum and also Foerster.  Thanks!

I was wondering if astronomy would look good on his high school transcript.  That's why I thought about delaying it.  Perhaps it would be better for him to take a science of interest at the CC in 11th grade and just have fun next year. 

Edited by HeWillSoar

I wouldn't postpone astronomy now if he's interested now because you're saving it for 4 years down the road. The astronomy he is capable of now will not be the same astronomy he will be capable of four years later.

He can always do astronomy again in 11th in far more depth after he has had the appropriate science. Or he can push physics to 11th and dual enroll in electives for 12th. Since he is more physical-science-inclined, dual enrolling for a semester of astronomy and a semester of geology would round out his education and expose him to some cool fields of study.

• Like 2

Sympathy! I think it is really tough to plan that far ahead. Student abilities -- and interests -- change *dramatically* during high school -- sometimes between one grade and next. And then, new texts / programs / outsourcing options pop up every year to expand your options, so it's hard to plan a specific program or course provider more than a year or two in advance. :)

As far as what sciences to take in high school for prep for a college STEM field… When applying for colleges, each school has a list of credits they require a student to have completed in high school in order to be eligible to apply to the college. Usually, colleges require 2-3 credits of science with labs, and math up through Algebra 2. If the student plans to enter a STEM field in college, then the student needs math up through at least Pre-Calculus, and 4 sciences. Some colleges are completely open about which sciences; of the colleges that specific what sciences they want to see, usually Biology and Chemistry are the 2 that are required. If planning on a competitive/selective or top tier school, then your DS will definitely need 4-5 credits each of Math and Science, and a few AP courses/tests to be able to compete for admission slots.

So what does this mean for you and planning for middle school/high school math and science?

Looks like you're on track for math very nicely to get through Calculus. And even if your DS needs to slow down or take more time on the higher maths, you'll easily get through at least Pre-Calculus.

For Science, I'd shoot for what he likes and try for 1 or 2 advanced sciences in high school, and try for Biology and Chemistry as 2 of the science credits to fulfill the types of science credits that some colleges require.

Personally, as much as possible, I'd go with what DS enjoys -- student interest will take you so much farther and with much more independent working than when you have to drag a student through a subject. ;) What about something like this, to pursue DS's interests as much as possible:

7th = Astronomy and Physical Science (topics in Chemistry and Physics)

8th = Conceptual Physics

9th = Biology

10th = Chemistry

11th = Advanced Physics

12th = Astronomy -- OR -- Advanced Chemistry -- OR -- science of special interest...

OR, if your son is really into science:

7th = Astronomy AND Conceptual Physics

8th = Conceptual Chemistry

9th = Biology

10th = Advanced Physics

11th = Advanced Chemistry -- OR -- Astronomy

12th = Advanced Chemistry -- OR -- Astronomy -- OR -- science of special interest...

And, since DS loves Astronomy, I'd look into getting him involved in a local community Amateur Astronomy organization. And look into some local STEM or Astronomy or Science summer camps (usually week-long half-day or all-day classes run by the local university or community college).

For ideas of Math and Science resources, check out the pinned threads at the top of the High School Board:

"Homeschool High School Math" -- courtesy of Quark

"Homeschool High School Biology" -- courtesy of Dicentra

"Homeschool High School Chemistry"  -- courtesy of Dicentra

"Homeschool High School Physics"  -- courtesy of Dicentra

In addition to outsourcing to local dual enrollment, depending on what materials you want to use, there are a lot of online options; here are just a few that I see frequently mentioned:

Math

- Derek Owens -- Math classes, Pre-Algebra through Calculus

- Jann Perkins' My Homeschool Math Class -- Pre-Algebra through Algebra 2 -- (Jann in TX from the WTM boards!)

- Art of Problem Solving online classes -- Pre-Algebra through Calculus, with many specialty / advanced / competition math courses

- Well-Trained Mind Academy -- online classes using Saxon or Art of Problem Solving/Singapore methods, Pre-Algebra through Algebra 2

- Pennsylvania Homeschoolers (AP classes open to homeschoolers in ALL states) -- AP Calculus AB / BC

Science

Clover Creek Science -- offered by WTM board member Jetta

- Derek Owens -- Science classes, Physical Science and Physics

Pennsylvania Homeschoolers (AP classes open to homeschoolers in ALL states) -- AP Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Physics 1 / 1&2 / Mechanics, Mechanics/Electricity & Magnetism

Well-Trained Mind Academy -- online classes: Biology (Holt), Anatomy & Physiology (Butler & Lewis), Chemistry (Suchoki's Conceptual Chemistry)

- Virtual Homeschool Co-op -- FREE online at your own pace, using Apologia General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Advanced Biology, Chemistry, Physics

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Kiana, Good point about the reason to not delay astronomy.   I think we'll just go for that.  Looking forward to having a fun year of science. 

Lori D. I'll have to just copy all of that info for future reference.  Your answers are always so well thought out and helpful.  Forgot about adding AP to the mix. 

Thank you all!  I think I've got a plan now, which you helped me develop. 

Do you have a local or semi-local Astronomy club? Ours is out of this world! (Even my pun-loving son would groan at that one...) But seriously, I am constantly amazed by the level of expertise in everything from optics to computer science to imaging within the membership, and how willing everyone is to share what they know. There are hundreds of members, monthly meetings with guest speakers, a dark sky piece of property with beautiful facilities and many telescopes in their housings, lots of social outreach toward the larger community (dark sky nights at the local parks - everyone bring a scope and show and tell!), and a wonderfully active young astronomer program that takes the tweens and teens very seriously. They even run summer camps for the younger set. It is fabulous, and only $35/year for a family to join.

Quick! Google and see if you have one!

Or, if you live near Rochester NY, join ours!

Edited by Jen in NY
  • Like 2

This is why I love this board!  Thanks to Jen and Lori D's posts, I found a local astronomy club that looks really great.  It is the first extracurricular that my son has shown an interest in.  And the club seems so family friendly.   Looking forward to trying it out! 

• Like 1