Menu

MBTP SS - get it or waste of money?

SereneHome

I've mentioned before that Social Studies subject is kind of foreign to me.  My husband has  been asking me if I am doing anything for SS and since I really don't, I have been looking around for a curriculum.  I am thinking of getting MBTP age 7-9 package.  Teacher's manual/student pages only.  I will get books at the library.  It's still $92.  It won't break our budget but I still consider it a LOT of money

I do better with a structured curriculum vs just pulling books together myself.

So, what say you - will it be worth it or will I be wasting our money?

We haven't used the Ss, but we used the corresponding literature units this year. Two of them in particular left me under the impression that the Ss would be way too leftist for me. If you feel that the ps is left of center, there's a good chance you will feel that way about mbtp too. You might do better to use what your x grader needs to know with library books for social studies. That sequence is very well laid out and thoughtful. It's not based on the trendy self as the center of the universe paradigm that is popular in public schools today.

• Like 2

We haven't used the Ss, but we used the corresponding literature units this year. Two of them in particular left me under the impression that the Ss would be way too leftist for me. If you feel that the ps is left of center, there's a good chance you will feel that way about mbtp too. You might do better to use what your x grader needs to know with library books for social studies. That sequence is very well laid out and thoughtful. It's not based on the trendy self as the center of the universe paradigm that is popular in public schools today.

Ohhh, that's good to know.  That would not work for me/us at all!!

If you're on the fence, I suggest buying just one online unit for about $12 and you can get a better sense if it would work for you. I think the refund policy covers online units, too, so if it's not going to be a fit, at least you won't be out any money.

I wanted to love MBtP, but it has left me ice cold.  I bought and abandoned the Fifty States unit and the Poetry units.  I was totally underwhelmed.  My "gifted" 11 yo hated pretty much every minute of them.  First of all, there is way too much crammed into a day.  The breakneck pace means that you cover a lot of ground quickly and very superficially.  To achieve any kind of real learning, you'll need to stretch out the units to at least 2 or 3 days.  Also, there is so.much.busywork.   There's little creativity in the assignments offered, and it's just so superficial.  

If you like the look of MBtP with its topical units, try making your own.  It is so easy.  I'll explain how if you're interested.  If you have the time to plan everything out in advance it becomes "open and go" when you're ready to use it.

• Like 2

If you're on the fence, I suggest buying just one online unit for about $12 and you can get a better sense if it would work for you. I think the refund policy covers online units, too, so if it's not going to be a fit, at least you won't be out any money.

I wanted to love MBtP, but it has left me ice cold.  I bought and abandoned the Fifty States unit and the Poetry units.  I was totally underwhelmed.  My "gifted" 11 yo hated pretty much every minute of them.  First of all, there is way too much crammed into a day.  The breakneck pace means that you cover a lot of ground quickly and very superficially.  To achieve any kind of real learning, you'll need to stretch out the units to at least 2 or 3 days.  Also, there is so.much.busywork.   There's little creativity in the assignments offered, and it's just so superficial.  

If you like the look of MBtP with its topical units, try making your own.  It is so easy.  I'll explain how if you're interested.  If you have the time to plan everything out in advance it becomes "open and go" when you're ready to use it.

Yes, please!!!!

Do you know if there is some kind of list for book suggestions?

We had the exact same experience in our house. A lot of uninspiring busy work at a breakneck pace. 

I like MBTP science pretty well but haven't done any social studies. We are following a 4 year history cycle. I've picked up some p s ss textbooks to peruse and it always makes me feel better about what I'm doing: the first Grade one was "these are families, made of people, who live in communities. Police help people who are in trouble." my kids had already figured most of it out from life. With my children, I'm just talking about current events with them. They know there's an election coming up, and we talk about who I like and why and who I don't like and why. We talk about why we have to pay taxes and problems I have with it. We talk about the police and the fire dept and have gone on tours. I take them with me to vote. We've traveled a good bit, so They see the differences in communities, see poverty, etc. we will read books on the election and things as we get closer to November. When we studied American history, we talked about the Declaration of Independence, constitution, etc.

I have found MBTP SS to be hit and miss.  Some units are really good, some need a lot of supplements.  I'm using 7-9 with my son right now, although we haven't done any of the social studies units yet.   I pick and choose and he's ended up doing three back to back literature and science units.  I'm using SOTW for history currently, but I'm pretty eclectic with our history studies.   However, the 8-10 social studies units I have used are pretty good.  There is a good unit on government and voting, I think it is called Power to the People or something like that, and we also did Early Explorers.  

MBTP does pack a lot of activities into each lesson.  I extend the lessons over several days if necessary, and also skip activities that are a bit pointless.  There is enough in it that I still feel like I'm getting my money's worth.  

I also buy each unit individually.  I usually buy the online option because it's cheaper.  I do generally end up adding in lots of extra library books, but that's the way we roll.  We did the 7-9 Rain Forest science unit a few months ago and I added in at least 5 extra books. 

• Like 1