Menu

Networking at Academic or Professional Conferences

elegantlion

This summer I will be attending my second history conference. I've attended business conferences in the past, so the conference part I'm okay with. It's the informal networking that has me nervous. This is being held at a school which I am considering applying for grad school, so I want to make a good first impression. I hope to present at this conference next year as well. My advisor and a few other classmates will be there. He'll help us with introductions, but I want to be more assertive in my own right. 

My wardrobe has been chosen based up photos from previous conferences, I'm reading some materials from history professors I'd like to meet, and I know how many drinks I can have at the free wine hour to remain in control  :coolgleamA:.

Are there any go-to questions to use? Like what are you currently working on? I enjoyed your article/book about (add topic) (add another comment)...

I'm also developing a statement about what I'm working on for my honor's project (short 1-2 sentence reply) and what I hope to do in the future (still working on that statement).  I still have 2 years on my undergraduate work, so I probably won't ask too many specific questions on the grad program. 

I'm also working on posture and facial expressions. When I get nervous I tend to look too stern. 

Any other hints or faux pas to avoid? 

• Like 1

Wow. It sounds like you have everything well in hand.  My only additional tip is that you can engendered good feelings very quickly by offering one of your free drink tickets to someone (if you see that they are partaking, of course).  I don't drink and my colleagues LOVE when I attend a conference with them. ha!

• Like 2

Practice your elevator pitch in front of a mirror and in front of a person.  Take note of non-verbal as well as verbal areas and improve where needed.  A video recording is good to do so you can see what you are doing.  Don't look scripted, but do practice. Think of some questions you may be asked and come up with answers.  Know how you plan to introduce yourself and get comfortable with the handshake.  Practice the close. That can be awkward. Maybe read a book on networking if you have time.  

Remember that EVERYONE gets better with practice, so do your best and have fun.

• Like 3

In addition to planning questions about a person's work, talk about the event: the speaker you just heard, what track looks good in the next session, etc.

Make time to talk to the grad students about their environment and happiness vs stress level. They are more likely to give you the scoop than a professor.

• Like 4

Wow. It sounds like you have everything well in hand.  My only additional tip is that you can engendered good feelings very quickly by offering one of your free drink tickets to someone (if you see that they are partaking, of course).  I don't drink and my colleagues LOVE when I attend a conference with them. ha!

I'm not sure if there are drink tickets or just an open bar. I'll have to look into that. 

Practice your elevator pitch in front of a mirror and in front of a person.  Take note of non-verbal as well as verbal areas and improve where needed.  A video recording is good to do so you can see what you are doing.  Don't look scripted, but do practice. Think of some questions you may be asked and come up with answers.  Know how you plan to introduce yourself and get comfortable with the handshake.  Practice the close. That can be awkward. Maybe read a book on networking if you have time.  

Remember that EVERYONE gets better with practice, so do your best and have fun.

I have read a few books on networking, it's just this environment that makes me more anxious. I will practice for sure. 

Ask lots of questions.  People love to talk about themselves and their research.  Express admiration and enthusiasm for their work.  

I need to do some more research on the session speakers in which I plan to attend. 

In addition to planning questions about a person's work, talk about the event: the speaker you just heard, what track looks good in the next session, etc.

Make time to talk to the grad students about their environment and happiness vs stress level. They are more likely to give you the scoop than a professor.

Thanks, I'll have to scope out the current grad students. I'm hoping to find some older grad students as that is part of what is making me anxious I'm old enough to be a professor, but my knowledge is still at the undergraduate level. 

Be prepared to answer why you've chosen to go back to school in mid-life. I got that question a lot at the conference I attended last fall. You'll have to answer it in your grad school statement of purpose so it's good practice to formulate one now.

• Like 1