Menu

Dr HIve (and nurses) 6 yr old..heat exhaustion?

ktgrok

We were at my sister's house yesterday, and the kids spent HOURS in the pool (heated to 90 degrees, so not really cooling), running around the yard, and playing on the swing set. Then when we got home we planned to rest, but the neighbor kids were out so she was running around again for another few hours. She admits she didn't drink anything at my sister's house (ack!) and maybe one 16 oz cup of water all day. She woke up pale, dry lips, feeling "yucky". She hasn't urinated today. We ran to the grocery store to get gatorade and I had her drinking water. Unfortunately, she drank it too fast, and that plus the excitement of going to the store, car ride, etc meant she ended up puking as soon as we walked in the house. It was just clear water for the most part. I showered her off, and tucked her onto the couch with a bucket. After 30 minutes I offered a small sip of ginger ale and that has stayed down. Will continue small sips. I've had heat exhaustion/dehydration before and she seems to feel like I felt. 

No fever, so I don't think flu or anything. And Web Md says vomiting can happen with overheating/dehydration. 

Think I'm good if I just keep having her take small sips, and keep her on liquids today? Going to try watered down gatorade in a bit, to get some electrolytes in. I can't imagine taking her to the doctor right now, she's not lethargic, just tired, if that makes sense. I think if I can get her drinking we'll be okay. Any other thoughts?

I'd call the nurse at your doctor's office - they may want her to get an iv of fluid to speed things up.

She's terrified of that idea, so hoping I can get her straight without an IV, but if she's not better later today we'll do that if we have to. 

She now has a temp of around 99.8. She normally runs aaround 99 anyway. Not sure if she is coming down with something (man,I hope not!) but it seems odd given that she was already dehydrated before the vomiting. 

Give her small sips of electrolyte drink - not urinating and dry lips are how severe dehydration presents itself. use diluted gatorade or coconut water or make your own electrolyte (there are several recipes on the internet) and get her to drink a little every 15 minutes or so. When my DS gets severely dehydrated, I make an electrolyte drink (similar to these recipes: http://foodbabe.com/2012/07/10/the-secret-behind-gatorade-how-to-replenish-electrolytes-naturally/)and make him take sips every 15-20 minutes.

So, she just urinated, a good amount, and although it was darker than normal not at all concerning...not super dark or brown or anything. And she seems a bit perkier...enough to whine about not being allowed to drink as much as she wants, and asking for cheetos :)

We're down to every 10 minutes for sips, and she's feeling okay. I told her maybe later for some food. I really think it was way too much super cold drink, plus undiluted gatorade, plus riding in the shopping basket and car that added up to the feeling pukey. 

The urine is a good sign.  Are her eyes yellowed?  Are the veins in her arms that are normally visible clearly visible?  Do you know what her normal weight is recently?  How much weight has she lost?

Make sure the gatorade is diluted - either half water, or preferably, poured over a glass crammed full of crushed ice.  Or you can use pedialyte, I think it's already diluted. Ginger ale the same deal- poured over a ton of ice.

When she can keep down a quart of diluted gatorade, you can try popsicles or jello.  When she can keep those down, try rice baby cereal if she gets hungry.

If she gets where she's throwing up every 20 minutes even when she hasn't had anything to drink, it's time to go to the emergency room for an IV. She'll get admitted until she's both within 10% of her normal weight and she can keep either clear or bland foods down without vomiting.

• Like 2

The urine is a good sign.  Are her eyes yellowed?  Are the veins in her arms that are normally visible clearly visible?  Do you know what her normal weight is recently?  How much weight has she lost?

Make sure the gatorade is diluted - either half water, or preferably, poured over a glass crammed full of crushed ice.  Or you can use pedialyte, I think it's already diluted. Ginger ale the same deal- poured over a ton of ice.

When she can keep down a quart of diluted gatorade, you can try popsicles or jello.  When she can keep those down, try rice baby cereal if she gets hungry.

If she gets where she's throwing up every 20 minutes even when she hasn't had anything to drink, it's time to go to the emergency room for an IV. She'll get admitted until she's both within 10% of her normal weight and she can keep either clear or bland foods down without vomiting.

Thank you, those are some good, clear signs. 

No more vomiting, just the one time, right after being jostled in the car, in the cart at the store (she never rides, but was tired and did), and Undiluted gatorade. Sigh, I should have known better. I never drink it straight myself. 

She's sipping every 10 minutes, diluted gatorade or diluted (over crushed ice) ginger ale, alternated. Eyes are white, if a bit glassy/dull. Veins are visible. I'll stick her on the scale, that's a good idea. 

• Like 2

Fever of 100, but that was after being curled up under a blanket on the couch. She's sleeping, I did wake her to have a sip of ginger ale then let her go back to sleep. Didn't give any ibuprofen as I wasn't sure that was a good idea. Poor thing. 

I think I'm going to wait until DH gets home. We have an urgent care pediatric center around the corner I can take her too,a nd then I won't have to take the 3 yr old with me. 

I'm leaning towards her having a bug though, at this point. My nieces are known to be carriers of all the worst daycare disease. 

Oh, and she's awake now, watching TV, acting better, and eating a popsicle. I checked the skin on the back of her hands and it isn't tenting at all, bounces back well. Other than being what my mother would call "peaked" she seems pretty good now. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

So, it's a virus, not heat exhaustion. I'm thinking she must have been getting a fever/sick last night and I didn't notice. She is drinking fine now, urinating, etc. But now she has a fever of 102, poor thing. Just gave her tylenol and will alternate with advil (had that earlier). Staying up with her until it starts to come down. 

Edited: just checked, it's down to 100.5. Going to go to sleep now, on the pull out couch where she wanted to sleep tonight. Earlier temp might have been wrong...it was a forehead thermometer and she'd been laying with her head pressed into the pillow, but still. I'm keeping a close eye on her tonight. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

My dd had a heat illness last summer after a soccer game with no subs in 100+ degree heat. It came on a lot faster than what you saw with your dd. She was lethargic on the way home and had a low fever by the time we got home (about an hour drive). She was well hydrated, no chapped lips, urine normal--just overheated. Cool bath, more water, and a nice long night of sleep and she was back to herself the next day. My google searching that night taught me that kids are more prone to this because they don't weigh as much as adults--it's a body surface area divided by weight thing if I recall correctly. So I think my ultra skinny kid was more susceptible than most.

You don't say how old your dad is. I'm not a doctor or nurse, but I do have a dd who was hospitalized for dehydration (after a stomach virus).

The doctor took one look at her -- saw the extreme lethargy, asked me to tell her exactly how much dd had drunk and kept down -- and said she was dehydrated. Then she pressed on dd's fingernail. She said that normally the fingernail will quickly return to its normal color, but in dehydrated kids, it will stay white for a while. Then she said she did not want to alarm me, but that I should go to ER *now*. Dd got an IV, stayed overnight and came home next day.

Dd was 18 months old, so ymmv. Hopefully, your dd just a virus. But from my personal experience, I tend to take dehydration seriously.

You don't say how old your dad is. I'm not a doctor or nurse, but I do have a dd who was hospitalized for dehydration (after a stomach virus).

The doctor took one look at her -- saw the extreme lethargy, asked me to tell her exactly how much dd had drunk and kept down -- and said she was dehydrated. Then she pressed on dd's fingernail. She said that normally the fingernail will quickly return to its normal color, but in dehydrated kids, it will stay white for a while. Then she said she did not want to alarm me, but that I should go to ER *now*. Dd got an IV, stayed overnight and came home next day.

Dd was 18 months old, so ymmv. Hopefully, your dd just a virus. But from my personal experience, I tend to take dehydration seriously.

She's 6 yrs old, and a pretty solid thing :)

Fever was down to 99.5 at 3am, but I gave her a dose of motrin anyway just so I'd sleep better and not worry that it was going to spike again. She's still asleep now (normal for her) and feels fairly cool. She urinated a few times yesterday evening/night and was drinking and keeping fluids down just fine.

I also have a medical background sort of...I worked as a vet tech, so am familiar with dehydration in animals other than humans..not quite the same, lol, but my instincts are usually good. 

Weird virus though! No symptoms other than the fever. She says her throat doesn't hurt, nothing. 

• Like 1

The fever might purely be a result of heat exhaustion and dehydration, not a virus.  But as long as you're keeping it down and she's getting re-hydrated she's fine at home.  Being hospitalized will be expensive and traumatic, so as long as she's getting better and not worse, you're fine at home. I would be very careful with her and exposure to heat for the next several years.  Some pubescent girls are really susceptible and get this several times a year for several years in a row.

• Like 3

Glad to hear you got a handle on the dehydration, I'd been worrying a bit.

You and me both!

But she's chipper and having fun today, although I'm keeping her quiet. With no meds temp is 99.3, so not much above her normal. Off to the store to get more ginger ale for her, and coffee for mom who didn't sleep much last night. I checked on her at midnight, 3am, and 6am. And slept with her, so in between would periodically feel her to see if she was hot. 

Still No other symptoms. No sore throat, no nausea, no congestion. 

I'll keep her out of the heat for the rest of the week at least, and will be on her like white on rice when it comes to hydrating from now on, in case that is what this was. When I had it it was VERY similar, and was the same situation, i was in a pool so didn't notice that I was sweating/getting dehydrated. Hard to notice in a pool, but when the water is 90 degrees plus, you aren't getting cooled off, and the sun was brutal. We brought her insulated cup of ice water, but I didn't realize she wasn't actually drinking any. 

And here I felt so good that she didn't get sunburnt! 

• Like 2

We were at my sister's house yesterday, and the kids spent HOURS in the pool (heated to 90 degrees, so not really cooling), running around the yard, and playing on the swing set. Then when we got home we planned to rest, but the neighbor kids were out so she was running around again for another few hours. She admits she didn't drink anything at my sister's house (ack!) and maybe one 16 oz cup of water all day. She woke up pale, dry lips, feeling "yucky". She hasn't urinated today. We ran to the grocery store to get gatorade and I had her drinking water. Unfortunately, she drank it too fast, and that plus the excitement of going to the store, car ride, etc meant she ended up puking as soon as we walked in the house. It was just clear water for the most part. I showered her off, and tucked her onto the couch with a bucket. After 30 minutes I offered a small sip of ginger ale and that has stayed down. Will continue small sips. I've had heat exhaustion/dehydration before and she seems to feel like I felt. 

No fever, so I don't think flu or anything. And Web Md says vomiting can happen with overheating/dehydration. 

Think I'm good if I just keep having her take small sips, and keep her on liquids today? Going to try watered down gatorade in a bit, to get some electrolytes in. I can't imagine taking her to the doctor right now, she's not lethargic, just tired, if that makes sense. I think if I can get her drinking we'll be okay. Any other thoughts?

Yes, vomiting can indeed happen with heat exhaustion.  I once worked in a yard for about 10 hours on a hot day, and vomited half the night.  It also happened at a different time to a landcaper I had. 

Just have her keep drinking all day.  She will be fine, absent any other or worsening symptoms.   I am wondering why her temp is a tad high; is that normal for her? 

Edited by TranquilMind

Final update: It was a virus. I now know this because my son and I have it. Ugh. The three year old and I took turns vomiting and having diarrhea last night, all night. Honestly, it was probably the worst night of my life. I lost 3 pounds in a few hours from diarrhea. 

In good news the 6 yr old is better and can take care of herself while the three year old and I lay around. And the vomiting seems to have stopped, we are both taking in small sips and keeping it down. Ugh. No more diarrhea either, as of it. (Not sure there is any left!) Oh, that was just me, he had mostly vomiting I had mostly diarrhea. Fun pair. And I was sleeping in his bed so I couldn't even really sleep because he would have puked on me. 

You must be exhausted! Hope you and family can get some rest today. :grouphug:

So tired. So very very tired. Of course, the 3 yr old feels much better, so instead of snuggling and sleeping with me he's being loud and crazy. I'm glad he's better but wish he was a bit more tired, lol. 

I'm a bit less achy, tummy is gurgle but no further diarrhea yet. Sipping watered down gatorade and ginger ale (not together). The 3 yr old has also had jello.