Menu

Algebra 1 at Wilson Hill Academy (for student younger than 8th grade)? Cross-Posted

I have a question about Algebra 1 at WHA: can anyone speak to this caveat offered in the course description on WHA's site:

"...this course may not be developmentally appropriate for students who have not yet reached the 8th grade."

Is that true? Have any of your kids taken the course younger than 8th grade? Was it, indeed, not developmentally appropriate?

I'm considering enrolling my DD11. She'll turn 12 early in the school year; she'll be a mature 6th grader. She will have completed Math Mammoth 1-7 with relative ease and at a fairly fast clip. She doesn't love math, but is quite good at it. If I don't use WHA for Algebra 1, my plan is to teach it at home using Foerster's text with the Math Without Borders syllabus & videos. I will outsource math for sure after Algebra 1, but could go either way this year. 

Does anyone know if there are math placement tests available for WHA? I looked, but didn't find one on their site. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

While we didn't take Algebra at WHA, ds14 did attend the past two years of high school taking Geometry and Algebra II.  Our youngers are also using MM.  The only thing I would caution you on regarding age is ability to handle college prep high school level courses.  To go right from MM 7 to any algebra class is probably doable.  However, there is a level of work and expectation which is above and beyond most middle school courses.  As a comparison, our son went through AoPS Intro to Algebra in 8th grade which is very challenging in terms of content.  It prepared him well for higher level courses at WHA to follow in high school.  But they were not a walk in the park by any means.  There is a rigor associated with the courses which may be fine for your daughter.  

I think it really depends on the child in terms of where they are at with their time management skills, ability to handle challenges, tests and so forth.  Only you can be the best judge of that.  All that being said, WHA has been an awesome experience for our son and we feel blessed to have had the opportunity for him to attend.  Timing is really the only thing you need to work out.  Possibly wait a year or... maybe not?  Keep in mind also that the teachers are *very* friendly and helpful.  They even helped me before we attended addressing some of my concerns.  I recommend you reach out to one of the algebra instructors to gauge what they think as well.  After all, you are simply performing your due diligence before making a more informed decision. 

ETA:  I just noticed in your sig that she is attending the WTM Academy this year.  So she may already have been introduced to the rigors of more demanding courses?

Edited by dereksurfs

Educational lore states that a student's brain has to mature to a certain point before he can understand the abstract concepts of algebra.  As far as I know, there is no science to back this up.  An excellent book by a guy who was a professor of cognitive something-or-another at Columbia touches on this, Math Coach.  The book is now out of print, and the author has died, but he dismisses this argument as hooey.  If a kid isn't ready for algebra, it is generally for some other reason, not brain maturity.  Your kid may or may not be ready for algebra, but plenty of kids below eighth grade are. 

Edited by plansrme
  • Like 2

Thanks for the two replies to this thread. Dereksurfs, I was hoping you would chime in, knowing you have experience with both MM and WHA courses. Plansrme, I was assuming that this is what WHA is referencing with their caveat. I have no expertise, but it does sound like a gross generalization that may or may not apply to any individual child.

Since I'm a little cheap and I already own Foerster's text, I'm thinking I will just stick with that for Algebra 1. Since my DD will only be in 6th grade, I may even go into it with the idea that we'll spread Algebra 1 over two years (both at home with Foerster's book or the first at home, followed up by a challenging online class).

My DD is bright and pretty mature, but I did find her lying face-down on the kitchen floor whining about her school work recently. I think the "terrible 12's" may have begun. Perhaps it isn't the best time to smack her with a super challenging math course!

• Like 1

Thanks for the two replies to this thread. Dereksurfs, I was hoping you would chime in, knowing you have experience with both MM and WHA courses. Plansrme, I was assuming that this is what WHA is referencing with their caveat. I have no expertise, but it does sound like a gross generalization that may or may not apply to any individual child.

Since I'm a little cheap and I already own Foerster's text, I'm thinking I will just stick with that for Algebra 1. Since my DD will only be in 6th grade, I may even go into it with the idea that we'll spread Algebra 1 over two years (both at home with Foerster's book or the first at home, followed up by a challenging online class).

My DD is bright and pretty mature, but I did find her lying face-down on the kitchen floor whining about her school work recently. I think the "terrible 12's" may have begun. Perhaps it isn't the best time to smack her with a super challenging math course!

I think you have come to the best conclusion, all things considered.  She has plenty of time to grow in both maturity and mathematical abilities.  Getting an early jump start at home will help her with any of the more difficult courses to come.  Having solid algebra skills is foundational to all upper level math courses.  If she gets bored doing it over two years, there are other good books you can weave into the mix including pre-geometry and Intro to Numbers Theory.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 2

I spread Algebra 1 over two years for each of my three kids because they were on the young side too.  We used two different textbooks and basically did Algebra 1 twice.  A strong Algebra 1 foundation is critical!

• Like 1