Menu

REAL Science Odyssey vs. Elemental Science?

vaquitita

How do these two compare? Did you like one over the other? Why? How open and go is ES? Can younger siblings tag along?

We used RSO earth and space this year. It got done. The kids liked the hands on aspect. I found the labs a little underwhelming. They liked all the demos involving food, but did they make the connections? Idk. I saw this review of elemental science http://www.murrayshire.blogspot.com/p/elemental-science-logic-earth-science.html and it looks like it has similar demos, but they seemed a little better? For instance in RSO we made crystal fudge. The kids of course enjoyed it, but the conclusion was just to ask will we see crystals in this fudge? No, because we cooled it quickly. I see the same lab in ES, but they do two batches of fudge, one cooled quickly and one cooled slowly, for comparison. That seems like it would increase understanding/retention of what was being demonstrated. The other difference I can see from the samples is in RSO we read info pages in the book, ES you read from an usborne encyclopedia. RSO has worksheets, ES has note booking.

We made the switch. We were exactly like you. We were underwhelmed with RSO and decided to give ES a try. OH MY! My son is retaining LOTS more and it is more fun for him. We are not going all over to find things for labs (lab kits are sold on the site) and the labs WORK! We didn't repeat earth science. We had done things out of order so we went back to biology and then we will jump to Chemistry next year. However based on what we know now we will do ES earth science for the little one when it is time. We have got a lot out of the note booking and even the lap books that go along with it. I think they both combine to give children lots of review for better retention. 

As far as tagging along, I am not sure. My children are nearly 5 years apart so that isn't really an issue for me now. Sometimes I think my son would do well, others not so much. My baby watched last night as my older son and daddy were doing a tinker crate. I am not sure how much he got from that at 2 but he had fun watching. 

This is interesting and I'm glad that you posted this question.  I didn't realize that. 

However, we just did an experiment from RSO chemistry, and I thought there were some comparisons there.  The lab was about mass.  It involved things like grapes vs. grape juice, liquid water vs. frozen water, and powder sugar vs. packed brown sugar. 

How would ES do this type of lab?  (This question is for anyone.)

I really just need it to work for my 10&8 yo kids. My 5yo will enjoy watching some demos, especially those involving food, but I won't require anything else from him. I may read some let's read and find out books with him. I'm looking at chemistry for next year and physics for the year after...

My kids are the same ages as yours and we are using ES Bio for Grammar right now. I purchased the reference books listed for the ES Bio for Grammar for my 8 yr old and I also purchased the required books listed in ES Bio for Logic (from the sample) for my 10 yr old to use. I use the lesson plans as they are and then have my 10 yr old read the related pages from the older level book as separate reading for her. I add in MSB and Bill Nye videos that relate to the lesson. My 5 yr old watches the videos with the kids or watches our demos but otherwise she is mostly not involved. I think she is picking up a decent amount for her age just my observing and listening in on the lessons. There isn't anything that she couldn't be involved in. I just allow her to choose whether she participates or not.

• Like 1

ES is open and go as long as you have all the materials for experiments. Some experiments may require a perishable supply here and there. What I like is that they provide a two day and five day schedule. I am not particularly crazy about reading out of the encyclopedia. They have weekly quizzes, note booking, definitions and lab worksheets. They also include some memory work that is so-so. The biology one had some craft extensions like a habitat diorama. There are even some written reports such as a biography essay on Newton. I use it with a first and fourth grader easily. I don't require written work from the first grader though. We are doing physics this year.

Some experiments are actually from other books, like Gizmos and Gadgets in physics or Janice Van Cleeve. The experiments work pretty well. They have some optional ones too for going deeper. I feel they draw good conclusions.

I am trying RS4K next year because I can cover two subjects, and there is a text to read from, and I need something streamlined next year with a baby in the house. But I am planning to return to ES Biology the year after. My oldest will be in sixth that year, and I will have a third and kindergartener, so we will do logic and grammar stage together. There is a schedule from ES to align them.

I have never used RSO as it did not appeal to me.

(Edited for some typos.)

Edited by AdventuresinHomeschooling
  • Like 1

Another vote for ES. We've done biology and loved it. It got done, and the kids learned a lot of vocabulary and facts that stuck! I was curious, and I bought a level of REAL. We completed one lesson. We never pulled it out gain. It's not as easy to open and go. I love that ES has the 2 or 5 day schedule, the coloring book, quiz book and options for activity book and lapbook. You choose how much "paper" work you want to complete. I don't feel guilty for not doing everything. For now, we will stick with ES!

• Like 1

I prefer RSO. My kids are not notebookers. I really like if we have just a few minutes for science we can just read the student page and pick one of the labs from that lesson and move on. We don't often add extra books, but we do use the Usborne Science Encyclopedia and videos on brainpop and YouTube a lot.

My kids think its fun and they are learning.

Edited by FawnsFunnyFarm
  • Like 1