Menu

Best "Writing the College App Essay" book recommendations?

On Writing the College Application Essay by Harry Bauld.

It's the only one that actually got used here. :)  It's a terrific little book that's easy to read at the start of the process & will help your student in generating and developing ideas & seeing what adcoms are looking for in the essay.

I don't know whether you're only looking for books, but this link from the MIT blogs has very helpful advice, too (and it's free!)

How To Write a College Essay

• Like 5

Thanks, Kathy, both of those recommendations are appreciated. I have no idea what background the parents have who will be attending my talk, so I just want to be prepared.

(I am trying not to think about just how different the academic goals of the different parents might be. I am going to cover a broad spectrum of info, so hopefully it will be helpful for most people. But, yikes, I am so not a public speaker! I am not sure why I volunteered to do this!!!)

• Like 3

We used this : Secrets to Successful Colleege Apps for Homeschoolers by Jeannette Webb (kindle book)

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Successful-College-Apps-Homeschoolers-ebook/dp/B00GIUTC3C?ie=UTF8&keywords=jeannette%20webb&qid=1463058320&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

This is a pretty good article from Homeschool world. https://www.home-school.com/Articles/087-college-application.php

We also liked the How To Get Into the Top Colleges by Richard Montauk and Krista Klein

http://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Into-Top-Colleges/dp/073520442X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463058243&sr=8-2&keywords=How+to+get+into+the+top+college

This one has a few chapters that we found extremely helpful in avoiding/dealing with stereotypes of applicants in the essay. All of these materials focus on developing a plan for admissions that involve the essay and using the essay to convey the talking points about the student. I think they are good quick sources before reading Bauld's book.

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 2

Another option for fine-tuning the essay, is to get some actual outside help.

In June of ds's junior year, we had a family crisis that rocked us pretty hard and required us to change around everything at home.  I felt overwhelmed at the prospect of starting the college search and yet it was so critical because this is our only one of three that wants to attend college.  We asked BarbaraH, who is a member here on the board, to help us.  We believe her guidance made the difference in where ds was accepted to and how much money he was offered.  Ds wrote either 2 or 3 essays on his own. Barbara Skyped with him and was able to tease out a much more intriguing essay that really reflected ds's goals and his own unique voice. It was well worth the consulting fees to have her help and experience.

As homeschoolers, we are so used to doing everything ourselves, that some of us may not think of using a consultant. It's just an extra tool you could suggest.

• Like 3

Another option for fine-tuning the essay, is to get some actual outside help.

In June of ds's junior year, we had a family crisis that rocked us pretty hard and required us to change around everything at home.  I felt overwhelmed at the prospect of starting the college search and yet it was so critical because this is our only one of three that wants to attend college.  We asked BarbaraH, who is a member here on the board, to help us.  We believe her guidance made the difference in where ds was accepted to and how much money he was offered.  Ds wrote either 2 or 3 essays on his own. Barbara Skyped with him and was able to tease out a much more intriguing essay that really reflected ds's goals and his own unique voice. It was well worth the consulting fees to have her help and experience.

As homeschoolers, we are so used to doing everything ourselves, that some of us may not think of using a consultant. It's just an extra tool you could suggest.

I'm giving another presentation at a homeschooling convention in a couple of weeks. Could you share a ballpark $$ for cost or per hour fee?  I hate to just recommend something without being able to comment on the cost. 

We also liked the How To Get Into the Top Colleges by Richard Montauk and Krista Klein

Thank you for this.  I just received my used copy, as it appears to be out of print.  It's a few years old, but the essay writing chapter looks great.  

• Like 1