Menu

Online but local "for sale" sites quandry

QueenCat

I really don't know what to put in the subject line so if it's editable and you all have a better idea, let me know. Locally, there is a Facebook group called "city name Trash and Treasure". After our move, I found I still had much to get rid of so I've been selling things, at low prices. A couple of times, I realized the person picking up the goods probably was stretching it to buy my things, even cheap. Is there a way to say "Oh, you can just have it" without offending someone? Or would I be better off saying "look what I else I've got, since your already here, you can have it for no extra cost".........

I just had a similar conversation with my husband about whether an offer from us to prepay for months of a service would be insulting to the service provider (service provider had had a potential $7K plumbing issue; we offered to pay him in advance for the next $1,000's worth of what he does for us).  I finally decided that (1) I thought probably not; and (2) I am over people being insulted by well-meaning acts of generosity and don't care any more.  So yeah, I would offer it for free.  Make someone's day.  If the person is insulted, it's her problem, not yours.  

• Like 1

Once I had a garage sale, and I had separated a bag of stuff out to recycle instead of sell--old frayed bras and ragged clothes.  My husband accidentally brought that bag out, and I was horrified when a young woman approached me to ask for a price on the bras.  I wanted to give them to her, but then I was afraid she would be offended, so I charged her a dime for each.  She bought 4 (all I had) and left rejoicing.  It's really hard to know what to do in a situation like that.