Menu

Questions about R&S English- skipping levels

mamiof5

For different reasons both dds are behind in R&S English. One is supposed to be in 6th grade in the fall, the other one in 5th grade. We are towards the end of 4th grade level book with one of them, towards the beginning with the other one. They both do well with it, understand and like it...but I am SO tired of feeling behind!! I want them to be doing the level they are supposed to be doing in the fall, but there's no way we can catch up between now and then. Would it be a huge mistake to just jump to where we are supposed to be in the fall? I am overly paranoid...I switched schools in 5th grade, the new school was doing grammar/diagrams and I was lost, the other school did not teach that at all. And I just never understood grammar/caught up. I'm so afraid of skipping!!! But, as I said, EXHAUSTED of feeling so behind. I keep telling myself it wouldn't be the same as my case, since dds have actually done grammar/diagramming etc. Wwyd? Would it be a huge mistake to just jump where we are supposed to be in the fall? Any input/help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for reading!!

I wouldn't skip. I know R&S is quite rigorous and they're probably getting more grammar education, even at the lower levels, than they would in school. We use CLE, which is also very thorough, and my 5th grader is learning more grammar than I ever did in my nationally-ranked public school or college or grad school. It's better for them to get a solid foundation than to be using the book that corresponds with their grade level. 

• Like 5

I want to go into a whole teach-them-where-they-are thing and remind you that they're not "behind" just because the number on the cover doesn't match what the public school says it should based on their ages...but tbh I get it.

Perhaps you could accelerate them from where they are over the summer by doing 2-3 lessons per day orally. Have them write one or two problems per day if they need that, but cover most of the material orally. That way, they don't miss any content, but get ahead more rapidly than they would otherwise. Also, skip the non grammar assignments and reference the 4th/5th grade book if there's any struggle when they get to the same concept in 5th/6th grade.

• Like 2

For different reasons both dds are behind in R&S English. One is supposed to be in 6th grade in the fall, the other one in 5th grade. We are towards the end of 4th grade level book with one of them, towards the beginning with the other one. They both do well with it, understand and like it...but I am SO tired of feeling behind!! I want them to be doing the level they are supposed to be doing in the fall, but there's no way we can catch up between now and then. Would it be a huge mistake to just jump to where we are supposed to be in the fall? I am overly paranoid...I switched schools in 5th grade, the new school was doing grammar/diagrams and I was lost, the other school did not teach that at all. And I just never understood grammar/caught up. I'm so afraid of skipping!!! But, as I said, EXHAUSTED of feeling so behind. I keep telling myself it wouldn't be the same as my case, since dds have actually done grammar/diagramming etc. Wwyd? Would it be a huge mistake to just jump where we are supposed to be in the fall? Any input/help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for reading!!

So, one is actually at grade level, the other is one grade level below. 

I'd do it.

• Like 1

I've used RS English 3-10 several times. One thing about RS English is that it only goes through 10th grade. That gives you two full extra years to do whatever. You can run the program two years behind and still finish before graduation. Many people consider those final two books overkill and skip them. I like them and do use them, but you may find that you just want to skip them when you get there. So there's really no reason to race through RS English.

On the other hand, since your dc are doing well with it, and since there is ample review in every single book, there's probably no harm in just skipping to the grade level they're in. I think this is what I would do, or I might teach them together in the 5th grade book.Two of my dd's were almost two years apart in age, but they were technically only one grade apart because of their birthdays. With English they were academically almost on the same level. I taught  them together in English throughout their school years using the youngest's grade level. It was more efficient and gave us time together. Elder dd was still finished the whole series a year before her graduation.

Edited by Jane Elliot
  • Like 1

I agree with this!   My DD is "behind" in R+S English because we started the whole R+S thing after we quit public school in 5th grade.  But to jump up would be a huge leap and would make her English assignments really miserable.  DS is at grade level, but only because I took him out of school at the end of third grade and started R+S immediately.  R+S English is deceptive: it looks easy to jump a grade, but in reality, it is not easy for my kids at all.  That is especially true if you try to jump from the 5th to the 7th grade level; huge leap there. 

I wouldn't skip. I know R&S is quite rigorous and they're probably getting more grammar education, even at the lower levels, than they would in school. We use CLE, which is also very thorough, and my 5th grader is learning more grammar than I ever did in my nationally-ranked public school or college or grad school. It's better for them to get a solid foundation than to be using the book that corresponds with their grade level. 

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

That depends on how much work I'm willing to make grammar on a daily basis, and if that DC is up to the challenge. Switching from 4 to 6 is doable for an average sixth grader, but it will make grammar a bit more challenging than they're used to it being. They'll have to work harder at it and it will take more time to complete.

Personally, unless a DC is seriously behind and needs remedial work, I prefer not devoting large periods of time to grammar, so I'd carefully consider how well that particular DC would adjust. Smoothness of days trumps caring about the number on the R&S English book in my homeschool.

• Like 2

I switched schools in 5th grade, the new school was doing grammar/diagrams and I was lost, the other school did not teach that at all. And I just never understood grammar/caught up. I'm so afraid of skipping!!!

I'm still thinking about your post, op. When I began using RS English, my kids were  11, 9, 7 . . . all the way down to baby. I put everyone in their grade level, so eldest began in level 6. That went great even though she had had very little formal grammar beforehand. But my degree is in English. When she had questions, it was easy for me to answer them.

Sometimes the best hs decisions come through considering where you are as a teacher more than where the kids are. I'm terrible in math. My kids don't skip levels in math because I don't recognize holes and might not be able to answer their questions. Recognizing my own limitations as a teacher has been one of the best things I've done in my hs. Consider what you're up for and run with that.

Edited by Jane Elliot
  • Like 2

R&S is very advanced for anyone and especially compared to the dismal amount of grammar taught in the public schools.

My son has completed levels 2-6 successfully, but 7th grade has been HARD. I think it is likely far more grammar than anyone needs to know in life. Lol.

Either skipping your kids ahead or not would be fine IMO, but even if your kids are doing less than their grade level in R&S English, they are unlikely to be "behind" compared to most kids.

If you want to move through the books faster, you can skip some of the lessons:

--Composition (if you are using another writing program)

--How to use bible reference books

--How to talk on the telephone and make introductions (even though I find these types of lessons very useful!).

--Etc.

• Like 1

Thank you so very much for all your input!!! Kids are thriving were they are, and skipping such a chunk could throw them off. Not sure why I get the anxiety towards the end of the school year, all of a sudden worrying about "grade levels", feeling behind etc. When in reality I know we are not. And thanks for the poster who brought up my limitations as a teacher!!! I struggled with grammar, and in Spanish, not English. English is not my first language. I do OK, but I don't have a strong grammatical foundation in either language (specially the diagramming). I can write, read and communicate OK, but grammar is not my strength. Probably not a good idea for us to take such a leap.