Menu

Are Sonlight's IGs hard to navigate?

pocjets

I'm considering buying Sonlight this year for my K and 1st grader. I've been looking over the IG samples and they seem like they require a lot of page flipping. One page tells you what to read but multiple other pages tell you questions to ask based on the readings. 

Is this something that you get used to doing or is it as confusing as it looks. I REALLY like the look of Sonlight but can't imagine reading to my kids on the sofa needed a big binder to flip through? 

Please, let me know what's it's like to actually use it. 

Thank you all!

I found it easy to use in the old format.  The new format seems difficult to me unless you stick exactly to their schedule (since the information for each book/subject is put together for each day).  As far as the big binder goes, you can always just put one week's worth in a small binder and switch that in and out at the end of the week.

I find it fairly straightforward. We do tend to go off schedule sometimes, but it keeps me on track as to what's next. I didn't always do the assignment on the scheduled day, but that's what I like about homeschooling. You can choose! Sometimes we use the questions, sometimes I have the child narrate. I've used p4/5-F.

I found it easy to use in the old format. The new format seems difficult to me unless you stick exactly to their schedule (since the information for each book/subject is put together for each day). As far as the big binder goes, you can always just put one week's worth in a small binder and switch that in and out at the end of the week.

They have changed the format of the schedule again, so it is no longer this way.

• Like 1

Good that they changed the format back.  I thought it was a terrible idea when they did it.  Ruined the flexibility.

IG or no, Sonlight has a lot of great books to enjoy with your kids.  And, FWIW, while they do have questions to discuss, I found that if I scanned the questions beforehand when I felt the need, and just discussed what we were reading as we went along, it went very well.  No need to really sit there with a binder of questions for most of the books.  Some we did and I thought it was useful, but mostly not.  Also, the usefulness of the questions really vary by book and level.

I find the IG easy to use, but it took some getting used to. It 's second- nature now. I had a few years of hating SL and trying EVERYTHING else, but wound up back w/ SL/BKSK. I love and appreciate the IG's as they keep me accountable. I also like all the notes, vocabulary, and discussion questions. We've used science, history, and LA. We had a really tight year financially where we used lots of donated materials, and it was a blessing- but so much less efficient.

I was reading the catalog yesterday trying to figure out how much of Core A I still need to buy.   This mommy has a book buying problem and so far I always own about a 1/3 of the books when I think , "I should probably buy the next core."   So, I end up studying the catalog a lot.  Somewhere in the beginning of the catalog it mentions that many people like to use smaller binders with just the pages for that time period.   

Have y'll seen that Adventures in Greece book that was just added?   That looks pretty neat.