Menu

S/O Pizza Stone: What's your best pizza dough recipe?

PinkTulip

Reading through the pizza stone thread made me hungry for good homemade pizza. The dough recipe I have is more bread-like than want, so lately I have been using Trader Joes pre-made pizza dough. I would love to find a good recipe that is chewy, crusty deliciousness.

1 c warm water

1 pkg yeast

2 Tbs olive oil

About 2 tsp salt, more or less according to taste

Flour (I don't measure, just put in what is needed to make a smooth, elastic dough)

Soften yeast in water for about 5 minutes, add oil and salt. Beat flour in until dough sticks together then pour onto floured board. Knead, adding flour as needed until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in oiled bowl and rise until doubled (usually around 1.5 hours for me). You can use without rising; crust will be thinner and crispier.

I use a large round stone and pre bake for 20 minutes at 375, then add toppings and bake until cheese is melted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's more about how you cook it than the recipe itself, except for the yeast.

I usually combine two cups or so of warm water, maybe 1/2 tablespoon of salt, a blop or two of olive oil, 1/4-1/2 tsp yeast (depending on how long I have to let it rise- I prefer a slow rise with less yeast of possible), and enough flour to make a nice dough.

1 c warm water

1 pkg yeast

2 Tbs olive oil

About 2 tsp salt, more or less according to taste

Flour (I don't measure, just put in what is needed to make a smooth, elastic dough)

Soften yeast in water for about 5 minutes, add oil and salt. Beat flour in until dough sticks together then pour onto floured board. Knead, adding flour as needed until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in oiled bowl and rise until doubled (usually around 1.5 hours for me). You can use without rising; crust will be thinner and crispier.

I use a large round stone and pre bake for 20 minutes at 375, then add toppings and bake until cheese is melted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I want to bake right away I use self rising flour. Softer crust. I normally make a thinner crust when doing this. I still use the yeast.

I make homemade pizza weekly.  I use Emeril's recipe, but I agree that the technique is very important.  I heat up my oven with the stones in it and make my pizza on metal pans from Food Network.  These  pizza pans that have small holes all over the bottom, and  I think I got them at Kohls.  I then bake the pizza in the pans on the stones in a very hot (500 degree) oven.  For a really crispy crust, I pull out the stone and pan together and let it sit on the stone on the cooling rack.  I usually bake them for about 14 min.: 7 min. on the bottom rack and 7 on the top.

If you live in the South and have a Publix nearby they have great premade pizza crust. Get yourself some Semolina flour and sprinkle it on the counter while you roll out the dough.

Before you bake, preheat the oven to 550*F for an hour (if you have a pizza stone). When it's preheated pull it out and quickly put the rolled out dough on top and then the toppings. Bake immediately for 5 minutes (exactly). Tastes just like takeout/restaurant. It's amazing!