Menu

Spelling Plus or AAS

sixpence1978

My DS is just about to finish up AAS level 1. He really likes it and would like to move on to level 2. I, too, like AAS with a few exceptions. We mostly love the dictation and the clear explanation of the rules. Some of the phonograms we find strange, but can work through it (like si, ti, ci...he learned to read with sion, tion, cion...etc)

I was getting ready to order level 2 the other day, and was struck with the thought of how much this series is going to cost us. The first 2 levels are 30 each, the next 2 are 40 each and there are still 2 levels yet to be released! I'm not sure I want to spend $100+ on a spelling program when my DS is a good speller anyway. I have a younger DD and have no idea how she will spell though.

I've also had my eye on Spelling Plus for a while as well. I like it's reliance on dictation, some rules, as well as some memorization.

What would you do?

Why not try SWR. It's only $100 or 90-something. Once you understand the method, it's not hard to implement. Plus, you can sneak in grammar and vocabs too. If you're good in dreaming up sentences based on the words studied, then you won't need Spelling Plus Dictation book. But, if you need an open-and-go dictation program, then you can supplement SWR with Spelling Plus.

I'm not good at dreaming up sentences, so I bought Spelling Plus Dictation book to supplement our SWR work. This is what I'm currently doing with my first grader (a reader).

HTH

Sixpence, there's a really valuable rule in homeschooling: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Your ds likes it. AAS should have good resale value. Unless your finances are tight to where it's not actually practical (which I can understand), I would just get the next level and keep going. It's giving him a good foundation, is easy for you to teach, is giving him explanations he understands. Spelling Plus, which I like, doesn't have nearly the level of explanations, meaning you'd be up a creek without a paddle, not having done an overall, multi-grade program like SWR that gives you all the tools upfront. Nope, I'd just keep going with AAS. Don't mess up what is working! You'd be really unhappy and have wasted money if you bought something and realized he was happier elsewhere. And sometimes it's not even so much whether the 13 different paths could have worked but that it's better to just pick one and stick with it when it's working, kwim? Besides, you don't know that he isn't such a good speller BECAUSE of AAS being such a good program that clicks with him. I'd stay put! :)

Oh, and I don't recall how low the words and sentences go in Spelling Plus, but I think I'd probably wait until 3rd grade to start it anyway. It's not really meant as a K-2 program. Michele could speak to that better, as she has it in front of her. I'm just going by what I remember.

Oh, and I don't recall how low the words and sentences go in Spelling Plus, but I think I'd probably wait until 3rd grade to start it anyway. It's not really meant as a K-2 program. Michele could speak to that better, as she has it in front of her. I'm just going by what I remember.

Spelling Plus if for grades 1-6.

Jan

I wondered the same thing too when I was only looking at AAS level 1 and 2. Now that we're at level 3, I can really see how this program is getting better. It starts each lesson with word analysis which takes a word from previous levels and has the student explain why the word is spelled the way it is using spelling rules they should know. At level 3, I am just more and more impressed with this program. If you're concerned about the money issue (it had crossed my mind too when I thought about switching to spelling plus), there would be great resale value. I am FINALLY seeing my son learn how to spell and not just guess at how things are spelled.

Beth

Hmm...I've still got at least a week to decide before he completes level 1.

Just a bit of background, my DS did Abeka for phonics, which IMO has given him a great phonetic background (I know it's not as extensive as Spalding or SWR, but it worked well for us). He did CLP's Building Spelling Skills book 1 last year for 1st grade and did great with that. I just wasn't seeing it translate into his writing very much.

Don't get me wrong, I do like AAS, but the sticker shock is quite large. Especially since level 1 just lasted for about a month.

Don't get me wrong, I do like AAS, but the sticker shock is quite large. Especially since level 1 just lasted for about a month.

I doubt that the other levels will last only a month. If you have questions about the level and it's appropriateness, I would contact the author of AAS. She's very good at handling these types of questions. I had one dd that went quite quickly through Level 1, but did not go that quickly through Level 2.

It's taken us about 6 weeks to go through Level 1 (we'll finish next week) and I have Level 2 ready to go. I love the progression of the program and feel like my ds is really getting it. It is expensive, but I think it's worth the $$ to have something that's pick up and go, teaches the concepts well and is understandable (from the get-go).

We slowed way down by the end of Level 1, and I expect Level 2 to take a lot more time.

We remediated spelling with Level 2 AAS. It's taken my dd about 4 months to get through so far, and we have another 2-3 weeks to go. We've had an occasional lesson last only 2 days, but most last at least 3, if not 4 days. We do all the extra words for more review. I've already purchased levels 3 and 4, and I can see what a great program it will be to stick with. I can tell those lessons will be 4-5 days long, at least.

Good luck with your decision!