Menu

Rocky Mountains National Park trip--where to stay?

MorningGlory

We are exploring the idea of taking a late summer trip to the Rockies for our oldest's graduation present. Does anyone have a favorite town or general area to recommend? I've spent a good deal of time on VRBO and Trip Advisor, and it's a bit overwhelming. If I could just pick an area, then maybe I could go from there...

Our family prefers rental homes or cabins, but we also could stay in a condo (3 bedrooms). We like to have a comfortable "base camp" where we can cook meals and hang out together in a very relaxed way. We also like to be a little off-the-beaten-path. When we stay in the Smokies, we rent the same awesome cabin in Wears Valley every time...about 20 minutes from the hustle-bustle but only 2 minutes from a hidden park entrance. 

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

YMCA of the Rockies! They have a variety of lodging options. We really like the house/cabin option. It's wonderful but you'll need reservations far in advance, I think. We went in April- off season and it was so quiet and not crowded at all, but the summer months are likely quite different.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 2

We have a cabin booked with YMCA of the Rockies for a week in mid-June. It sounds really cool. It was booked at the end of last summer and was hard to get even then. We couldn't get weekend days so we have a Sunday- Friday stay. We have a large group going (19) so that may be the issue. The booking policy was not cancellation friendly.

• Like 1

We rented a cabin in Estes Park, but we rented late, and pickins' were slim.  It was convenient, but I'll echo what others have said:  if you're going this summer, good luck.  Estes Park has a rental list that I finally used to find a place.  One of the property managers there told me about it when I struck out yet again.  I think the site is estes-park.com.  The guy told me that once you put in dates,  your request goes out to 90% of the rentals in the area, and they will email  you if they have something available for your dates.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! The YMCA looks about perfect for us. I checked their reservation system, and we can get a house in late May, but if we go then, we will have to drive (instead of fly). There is nothing available there for August 

My dilemma is that if we go in August, we can fly nonstop for an amazing price! That is why we were considering August to begin with. I have found a few rental houses in August but not many. It must be really crowded then!

Maybe it is worth going in May when it is less crowded and we can get the YMCA...although that takes two full days away from the Rockies when we will have to be on the road. :-( 

We need to make a decision, like, soon.